cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone still use the BOA Travel Rewards Card?

tag
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Anyone still use the BOA Travel Rewards Card?

@K-in-Boston wrote:
CC, I think it’s very relevant since the PR completely outdoes the TR card. If you decide to move over the investments, I’d absolutely go for the PR card. Even if denied, a call to a senior analyst should make things happen for you. Unless you’re going for high-value miles or points (like SPG), for someone who could get Platinum Honors there is no card on the market that touches Premium Rewards for a daily driver.

Kinda my thought and it really doesn't matter where i park some of my rollover IRA money assuming merrill's fees aren't outrageous for IRA activities which I don't believe they are.

Message 11 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@kdm31091 wrote:

As I have mentioned on these forums many times, unless you are Preferred Rewards and getting 2.62% on every purchase with this card, I don't see much point in it. 1.5% that you can only spend on travel. What's the point? Why not just use a cash back card with an equal or greater return? You can get the same 1.5% or 2% in cold hard cash you can do whatever you want with.

Like I said, Preferred Rewards changes the discussion somewhat, but on its own, I think the card is underwhelming.

Agreed. It's only great for fraud protection on purchases if you're someone who wants to safeguard your money, since BoA has the best fraud protection in the industry, or if you're an average credit card user who wants overdraft protection/all of your accounts at BoA, if you aren't a preferred customer. 

Message 12 of 38
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

Not everyone can do the BA PR card.  My family member uses BA TR as the go-to card.  But the spending is like $300/month.  I'd rather the minor to build own credit, then using my rewards card to pick up a frew extra $.  Not worth it.

Also, we bank with BA, so we can see all the BA activities from the same mibile BA banking.  For this reason, we do not use the Citi DC card.

Message 13 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

As I have mentioned on these forums many times, unless you are Preferred Rewards and getting 2.62% on every purchase with this card, I don't see much point in it. 1.5% that you can only spend on travel. What's the point? Why not just use a cash back card with an equal or greater return? You can get the same 1.5% or 2% in cold hard cash you can do whatever you want with.

Like I said, Preferred Rewards changes the discussion somewhat, but on its own, I think the card is underwhelming.

Agreed. It's only great for fraud protection on purchases if you're someone who wants to safeguard your money, since BoA has the best fraud protection in the industry, or if you're an average credit card user who wants overdraft protection/all of your accounts at BoA, if you aren't a preferred customer. 

What's the basis for this claim? I've no experience with BofA, but haven't heard this before.

Moments ago I booked a domestic economy flight at 4.6 cents per MR, so I can resist the allure of a straightforward 2.625% a bit longer.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 38
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

What's the basis for this claim? I've no experience with BofA, but haven't heard this before.

Moments ago I booked a domestic economy flight at 4.6 cents per MR, so I can resist the allure of a straightforward 2.625% a bit longer.

Agree Chase is pretty much the cat meow on fraud detection.. Don't think there is any better in the business, but I have no metrics to prove it eiether other then what i have read on the forums.  I have never had fraud on any of my cards knock on wood.  How some people get it time and time again amazes me.  Something expect they either have viruses on their computer or they need to find new places to shop

Message 15 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

My vote would be for Amex on fraud detection for one simple reason: they approve the charge first, then ask questions.  Not once in 15 years have I ever had a declined transaction from them.  My Gold/PRG card has been compromised twice over the years (assuming it was skimming either at the pump or at a restaurant).  They approved "my" four first class roudtrips from JFK to Munich, then contacted me just to make sure that I had really purchased them since I didn't normally purchase 5-digit airfare.  They approved the $150 Dominos Pizza order I made in Idaho (in between my trip to the grocery store out in the suburbs and a Dunkin' Donuts in the city), then contacted me just to make sure that was really me.  Also worth noting that they have never contacted me over a false alarm, and I've run untold thousands of transaction through Amex cards over the years.

@wasCB14 nice job on the MRs!

Message 16 of 38
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@wasCB14 nice job on the MRs!

Thanks...a personal best!

MRs to Avios during the recent 40% promo, then Avios + $5.60 for an AA-operated award. Avoided AA's close-in award fee, too!

@how do I @mention someone?

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 17 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Right now the capability is only turned on for admins, mods, and community leaders.

Message 18 of 38
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@UncleB wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Right now the capability is only turned on for admins, mods, and community leaders.

You put that so eloquently.  UncleB will never tell a poster to eat cake.

Message 19 of 38
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

I refuse to apply for the BOA Travel Rewards card, the Barclay Arrival Plus card, the Capital One Venture card, or any other card that limits my redemptions to statement credits for travel spending.  I already have a 2% cash back card that allows me to redeem for unrestricted cash.  Why get a card that restricts my redemptions to travel?

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 20 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.