Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone upgrade from Amex SPG to SPG Luxury card

tag
drboxing
Established Contributor

Anyone upgrade from Amex SPG to SPG Luxury card

Just wondering if anyone upgraded from Amex SPG to SPG Luxury Card.

Message 1 of 93
92 REPLIES 92
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Anyone upgrade from Amex SPG to SPG Luxury card

I did yesterday morning.  No upgrade offer available and I called to double-check first, but there have been some reports of offers.

Message 2 of 93
drboxing
Established Contributor

Thanks

Message 3 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about it, but currently I am only being offered 15K after spending $1K. That wouldn't even cover one night at most hotels.

My card anniversary is in March so I might do what someone on the form suggested and upgrade after I get my free night certificate. Maybe then I will also be offered a better upgrade offer.

Message 4 of 93
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I see the button on my personal SPG to upgrade but my wife doesn't have the option on hers.  I don't know what triggers the option to request the upgrade but she doesn't have it.  

I even tried via the DoC link to request an upgrade on her card and it says that her card isn't eligible.  She's had her SPG for many years and I've had mine for less than 2.  She puts far more spend through her card than I do and she never carries a balance.  Interesting that she doesn't have the option *yet*.

Message 5 of 93
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

AmEx wanted to expand my membership, not pre-approve me.

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 6 of 93
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Could be worse; I'm pre-approved for the vanilla SPG card again but obviously ineligible for the bonus.  That's just cruel!

your-card.png

Message 7 of 93
SomewhereIn505
Valued Contributor

@SomewhereIn505 wrote:

AmEx wanted to expand my membership, not pre-approve me.

Amex changed its tune and now I’m preapproved. Not going after it since SPG is not my preferred hotel. I stayed at one once and wasn’t impressed. 

3/16/18 FICO9 TU-700 EQ-669 EX-716
6/26/18 FICO9 TU-750, EQ-672, EX-789

Message 8 of 93
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@SomewhereIn505 as the largest hotel chain in the world*, Marriott now operates over 6500 properties.  It would be a shame to judge the entire portfolio of 30 brands by a single stay!

* By rooms.  Choice and Wyndham both have more properties; Choice barely and Wyndham substantially, but they only have about half of the number of rooms as Marriott.  I think one 1298 room Marriott is a lot more impressive than a bunch of 50-room Interstate-exit in the middle of nowhere Econo Lodge, Super 8 and Days Inn locations.  Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

For the people who've had both, which card has broader international acceptance (specifically Japan), SPG or Hilton Honors? I see HH has a 100K SUB, while SPG is only 75K. Also seems from a brief search, SPG/Marrott doesn't have as many properties to choose from. At least on Amex travel. Obviously the SUB isn't going to cover my entire stay, but 3-4 nights would be a nice break on the price. Thinking about replacing my Delta Gold with something else more useful to me.

Thanks

Message 10 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.