cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone with recent Keybank card experience?

tag
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

Re: Anyone with recent Keybank card experience?

Key is my primary bank. I have Key2More cards. Nothing special. Rewards are puny. I tried to PC to the 2% cash back card but was refused. Twelve year old banker wants a new app/new card. I guess he wants credit for opening a new cc account. I meet the criteria but it's no go.

I would not apply for a KeyBank card today as there are better options for me. The cards are ancient so I use them to keep them active. Basically they are for out of pocket health care items. Makes it easy at tax time to gather data. 

Just checked the webiste. Looks like the 2% cash back card has a 0% intro period. 

Key would get more spend on the card with the 2%. Overall there is nothing special about Key IMHO.

Message 11 of 22
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

Key is my primary bank. I have Key2More cards. Nothing special. Rewards are puny. I tried to PC to the 2% cash back card but was refused. Twelve year old banker wants a new app/new card. I guess he wants credit for opening a new cc account. I meet the criteria but it's no go.

I would not apply for a KeyBank card today as there are better options for me. The cards are ancient so I use them to keep them active. Basically they are for out of pocket health care items. Makes it easy at tax time to gather data. 

Just checked the webiste. Looks like the 2% cash back card has a 0% intro period. 

Key would get more spend on the card with the 2%. Overall there is nothing special about Key IMHO.

Now if it was Keylime Pie, they'd be da 💣😄

Message 12 of 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

The 2% card is only a 2% card if you're meeting their mininum monthly direct deposit threshold.  If you aren't it's a 1.5% card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 13 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed that too - basically if I wanted to make Key my primary FI it would be worth that one, but I'm not going to cut away my CU of 32 years as my daily driver so I can get an extra half percent on a ho-hum card. I'm gonna let the Latitude card marinate a bit in my mind. 15 months at 0% and a low APR is not a bad deal, but I don't know that I want to take another HP so soon. It'll still be there if I wait.

Message 14 of 22
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious because a forum/google search brings up posts that are mainly 2015-2018, so they're likely somewhat out of date.

I wouldn't app out of the blue for their cards, but Key holds the loan on my Audi. I went into the local branch today to make the first payment and decided to set up a checking account. Shunt off a chunk of my weekly direct deposit to this account as my main banking institution is a local CU, and automate the loan payments. I left with a new active no-hassle checking account with two months' worth of payments on deposit and preapproval for the Key2More Rewards card and the Latitude card. The rewards card is nothing special but the Latitude is 0% for 15 months, followed by an APR of 9.99-12.99% which is not bad at all. I'm tempted somewhat for that alone. Also, just curious although I'm pretty sure I know, but with their preapproval do they still do a HP? They're still EQ pullers as they confirmed today.

However, the reviews from past years are somewhat lukewarm so I wanted to see if anyone has recent experience with the cards. Any feedback is appreciated Smiley Happy

Key has a 2% cashback card. Stay away from Key2More Rewards. It's a joke. They advertise 5x the points for every $1 spent on purchases and a little more after you spend a certain amount each month. Problem is 1 point = 0.002 each. 

Message 15 of 22
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

The 2% card is only a 2% card if you're meeting their mininum monthly direct deposit threshold.  If you aren't it's a 1.5% card.

Yes. I do meet the criteria but the banker want a new app. Double cash works for me. 

Message 16 of 22
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@VPExecutive wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Curious because a forum/google search brings up posts that are mainly 2015-2018, so they're likely somewhat out of date.

I wouldn't app out of the blue for their cards, but Key holds the loan on my Audi. I went into the local branch today to make the first payment and decided to set up a checking account. Shunt off a chunk of my weekly direct deposit to this account as my main banking institution is a local CU, and automate the loan payments. I left with a new active no-hassle checking account with two months' worth of payments on deposit and preapproval for the Key2More Rewards card and the Latitude card. The rewards card is nothing special but the Latitude is 0% for 15 months, followed by an APR of 9.99-12.99% which is not bad at all. I'm tempted somewhat for that alone. Also, just curious although I'm pretty sure I know, but with their preapproval do they still do a HP? They're still EQ pullers as they confirmed today.

However, the reviews from past years are somewhat lukewarm so I wanted to see if anyone has recent experience with the cards. Any feedback is appreciated Smiley Happy

Key has a 2% cashback card. Stay away from Key2More Rewards. It's a joke. They advertise 5x the points for every $1 spent on purchases and a little more after you spend a certain amount each month. Problem is 1 point = 0.002 each. 

As mentioned above in this thread that 2% cashback card is only a 2% card if you meet elevated thresholds - specifically $1K average daily balance and $1K in deposits every month. If not it's a 1.5% card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 17 of 22
VPExecutive
Frequent Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

@VPExecutive wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

As mentioned above in this thread that 2% cashback card is only a 2% card if you meet elevated thresholds - specifically $1K average daily balance and $1K in deposits every month. If not it's a 1.5% card.

It's still better than the Key2More Rewards card. 

Message 18 of 22
Save-n-Invest
Established Contributor

KeyBank credit cards are nothing special IMHO. The 2% would work for me but I am not willing to do a new app. Lobby service at Key is good. The rest is just another bank. Key is very conservative. Apply for a loan if you don't need money. Smiley Happy Account updating is glacially slow. Mistakes that were non existant are now not uncommon. I've been credited with deposits I never made. I have been debited for items that are not mine. Easily resolved but still different from the level of service over the years. 

I'm a customer because I have been aquired a few times over the years. If there is an issue I can walk into the branch and have the issue resolved easily. I am there because Key has not done anything to drive me away. 

Message 19 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Save-n-Invest wrote:

KeyBank credit cards are nothing special IMHO. The 2% would work for me but I am not willing to do a new app. Lobby service at Key is good. The rest is just another bank. Key is very conservative. Apply for a loan if you don't need money. Smiley Happy Account updating is glacially slow. Mistakes that were non existant are now not uncommon. I've been credited with deposits I never made. I have been debited for items that are not mine. Easily resolved but still different from the level of service over the years. 

I'm a customer because I have been aquired a few times over the years. If there is an issue I can walk into the branch and have the issue resolved easily. I am there because Key has not done anything to drive me away. 

While certainly not a ringing endorsement, this is all good reason not to fear being there. Like I said, I figured I might as well get an account since they have my car note. I'm going to use the account to fund the loan payments and let some money build up (sending roughly $60/month more than the payment into the account), and I may take the Latitude card for the long 0%, but I also thought the other cards were pretty much milquetoast and won't bother with them. If nothing else, I can use the 0% for some larger yet-to-be-incurred expenses if they arise.

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.