Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anything new out there?

tag
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

Anything new out there?

Morning everyone! I haven't applied for a card for a while now so I browsed around looking to see what is out there and I really don't see a lot that is worth applying for. Am I missing something new and awesome out there? My spending is very little from day to do, but when I do purchase something it tends to be a larger purchase. I don't routinely go shopping or anything like. Generally I have everything I need or want. I don't do a lot of traveling because I'm always inundated with work (own 3 businesses) and the little free time I have I go to the golf club. I thought about auditing the cards that have higher APR's (I did have crappier credit in the past (documented here) and BR's that fell off last year) and replace them with newer lower ones but I am debt free, including the house, so 99.9999999% of the time they are paid off in full. The 0.0000001% are business carry overs and not personal. 

I know I'm AMEX heavy (and plan on keeping them), and utlize the charge cards A LOT. I've never applied for Chase anything but other than that what is out there? You can see my "profile" below. Anything I can improve upon with adding a new card or replace an existing card with a better one? I did think about the Amazon card because I do shop a lot on there, but most of it tends to be items for the various businesses. 

TIA

Personal:

Business:

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Anything new out there?

Being mindful of the need to limit my discussion of business cards in this particular section of the forum,  the AMEX Amazon business card might be a good fit.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 2 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

Morning everyone! I haven't applied for a card for a while now so I browsed around looking to see what is out there and I really don't see a lot that is worth applying for. Am I missing something new and awesome out there? My spending is very little from day to do, but when I do purchase something it tends to be a larger purchase. I don't routinely go shopping or anything like. Generally I have everything I need or want. I don't do a lot of traveling because I'm always inundated with work (own 3 businesses) and the little free time I have I go to the golf club. I thought about auditing the cards that have higher APR's (I did have crappier credit in the past (documented here) and BR's that fell off last year) and replace them with newer lower ones but I am debt free, including the house, so 99.9999999% of the time they are paid off in full. The 0.0000001% are business carry overs and not personal. 

I know I'm AMEX heavy (and plan on keeping them), and utlize the charge cards A LOT. I've never applied for Chase anything but other than that what is out there? You can see my "profile" below. Anything I can improve upon with adding a new card or replace an existing card with a better one? I did think about the Amazon card because I do shop a lot on there, but most of it tends to be items for the various businesses. 

TIA

I would say the flavor of the month is the Redstone FCU Visa Signature card, which offers 5% cash back on gas and dining, 3% on utilities, groceries, phone, streaming, discount stores, and wholesale clubs, and 1.5% on everything else.

I believe it's pretty new, so its staying power, customer service, etc., are all unknown of course.

Other pretty new cards with useful cash back features are Comenity's AAA Travel Advantage and Daily Advantage cards.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 3 of 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Well, just like asking about old cards as well: are there spending categories where a) you spend quite a lot where b) you are not getting a good multiple?   What do you value an MR at, as your base would seem to be 2 of those on the BBP

Message 4 of 9
ptatohed
Valued Contributor

Not for everyone (including me) because of the $95 AF, but an interesting new card no less - the USB Shopper Cash Rewards.  With a $250 intro bonus, first year AF waived, and 6% CB at 2 retailers from a pretty impressive list of retailers and 3% on an everyday cat, this card can be pretty rewarding (at least for the first year).  

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

5% CB rotating: ;
Everyday 3% CB: ;
Everyday 5%: ;
Companion Card: ;
Everyday 2.2% CB: ;
Retired to sock drawer after AOD (kept alive w/ 1 purchase every 6 mo): ;
On my radar: ;
Still Waiting for an Invite: ;
No hope:
Message 5 of 9
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@coldfusion wrote:

Being mindful of the need to limit my discussion of business cards in this particular section of the forum,  the AMEX Amazon business card might be a good fit.

I'll check that out. That makes sense. I do by quite a bit of stuff business wise on Amazon (small piece of total pie) but enough that it would make sense. Thank you for that suggestion.

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 9
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@SouthJamaica wrote:

@Broke_Triathlete wrote:

TIA

I would say the flavor of the month is the Redstone FCU Visa Signature card, which offers 5% cash back on gas and dining, 3% on utilities, groceries, phone, streaming, discount stores, and wholesale clubs, and 1.5% on everything else.

I believe it's pretty new, so its staying power, customer service, etc., are all unknown of course.

Other pretty new cards with useful cash back features are Comenity's AAA Travel Advantage and Daily Advantage cards.

Thank you for that suggestion SJ. I'll have to check that out. It's cards like that I don't even know to search for. I mostly do main stream searches, if that makes sense. One of the reasons I love this forum! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 7 of 9
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

Well, just like asking about old cards as well: are there spending categories where a) you spend quite a lot where b) you are not getting a good multiple?   What do you value an MR at, as your base would seem to be 2 of those on the BBP

Great question Lurker. I'd have to say mostly my spend from most to lowest goes to:

1) Supply House (Business) - Spark is in this one. Spend roughly $100K here a month.

2) Auto Insurance (Business ~ $7K Month) Spark is on this one. 

3) Gas (Business, very little personal as I'm usually in a commerical vehicle) Spend roughly $4K-$5K monthly business/$200-$250 personal) AMEX Gold Business is on this one

4) Food (90% Dining/Uber - 10% Groceries) (Personal) Usually AMEX Gold Business/AMEX Gold Personal

5) Retail (Business - Amazon) (Personal, minimal, but places like Nike or Golf Galaxy) Usually Quicksilver (Personal) or Spark (Business)

Then your occasional high end purchase ($10K-$25K) like watch, golf gadget, etc. Usually the QS or Apple (if Apple Pay for the 2%)

I don't really use my MR points. I've been saving them for some time now so when my wife and I get to travel our stays will be free. I haven't done any valuations for them. Only stockpiling. 

I hope this helps! 

Personal:

Business:

Message 8 of 9
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

@ptatohed wrote:

Not for everyone (including me) because of the $95 AF, but an interesting new card no less - the USB Shopper Cash Rewards.  With a $250 intro bonus, first year AF waived, and 6% CB at 2 retailers from a pretty impressive list of retailers and 3% on an everyday cat, this card can be pretty rewarding (at least for the first year).  

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/shopper-cash-rewards-visa-signature-credit-card.html

I'll check that out. Thanks for the response hed. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.