Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Spree Results - Please advice.

tag
Redneriv

App Spree Results - Please advice.

CSP - 5K
Discover IT - 4K ( For the rotating cashback)
Sallie Mae Mastercard - 3.2K ( For the 5% cashback)
AMEX BCP - 3.4K

My scores(All Fico) : TU - 732, EQ - 742, EX - 714
No inquiries in the last one year for any. One baddie ( 30 day late) in dec, 2006.
AAoA - 3 years, 1 month and Oldest account 7 years.

My Profile:
BOA Visa Signature - 350/5000
Local Credit Union Visa Signature - 3100/10000
Amazon Store Card - 480/1800
Kohls - 0/300 ( planning on closing)
Auto loan and no mortgage.

Before Going to garden for the next 18 months, planning on opening a PENFED checking account and DCU account as well.
Need your advice for the below:
1. Somewhat disappointed with the CL's, so planing to recon Sallie Mae, CSP and Discover. Would it be an additional HP and is it worth it? I need the sallie mae card to be a world mastercard as i might need it for international travel.
2. As for Amex, the 61day CLI protocol should be good right?
3. I travel quite frequently internationally (3-5 trips annually) and domestically(5-7 times), but on various different carriers. Whats the best card that lets me earn the most miles/points for any carrier?
4. What are my chances of getting a Freedom, now that i have been approved for CSP yesterday ( worried about denials due to multiple chase applications).
Thank you.

Starting Score: 619 (06/13)
Current Score: EX-714, EQ-742,TU-732 (09/06)
Goal Score: 750+ for all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: App Spree Results - Please advice.

Why would you use the Sallie Mae (world or otherwise) internationally.  It has a 3% FTF.   Your CSP has no FTF, so that is the card to use.

Message 2 of 10
seat3a
Contributor

I agree that the CSP is the way to go. As far as CL, in my own experience and other posts I have seen, 5K is about where CSP starts. I received an auto CLI after about 14 months to 6.5K. I wouldn't do the recon with Chase IMHO. And, yes, even a CLI  request with Chase is a HP. I also travel internationally and with the no FTF, the card is great; My favorite for many reasons.

The AMEX 61 day CLI should be good to go.

You could go for the Freedom (another HP through). I wouldn't''t worry too much about another Chase app. Might as well do it all at once.

Good luck!

Barclay Arrival World MC 10K, Citi AAdvantage 16K, Chase Sapphire Preferred 15K, AMEX Gold Delta Skymiles 16K, Venture One 5K, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $300, Discover Direct Rewards (Cap 1) $500

Scores: EX 764 EQ 750 TU 809 MyFico 739 Last App 11/13
Message 3 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your recent spree.

Chase will require a HP and if nothing has changed it is doubtful you will receive a bump.
IIRC, Discover does not recon initial cls.
SallieMae, IMO would be a terrible card for international use. Your CSP would be a wiser choice and the UR points are considered more valuable.

You could certainly try to app for Freedom. You might not get an instant app because they might want to verify the second app. Keep on mind, your cl may not be as high as you want. As far as $5k being the starting point for CSP, that is not necessarily correct. Your cr profile/ internal Chase scoring will determine your cl. AFAIK, $5k is their minimum
Message 4 of 10
Redneriv

Thanks guys for the replies.. I wanted a world MasterCard as there have been instances where I was abroad and visa was not accepted so wanted to have alternatives. I was under the impression that the Sallie Mae world MasterCard does not have FTF.

So what world MasterCard would be recommended for travel? And also what card is best for earning rewards for flights with ANY foreign/domestic carrier?

Thank you.

Starting Score: 619 (06/13)
Current Score: EX-714, EQ-742,TU-732 (09/06)
Goal Score: 750+ for all 3

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 10
370Z
Frequent Contributor

The Barclay Arrival World Mastercard comes in AF and no-AF versions.

EQ8 817 (2/24) EQ9 850 (1/24) EX8 837 (3/24) EX9 842 (3/24) TU8 824 (2/24)
Chase_Hyatt|10k|15.24%|6/13 * Amex_Hilton|10k|13.99%|8/13 * Chase_IHG|10k|15.24%|1/14 * Chase_Ink$|12k|13.24%|5/14 * NFCU$|46k|9.65%|12/14 * Amex_ED|10k|12.99%|1/16 * Citi_Custom$|45k|15.24%|4/16 * Merrill+|68k|12.99%|2/17 * Amex_BB+|10k|15.24%|3/18 * PenFed_Pathfinder|29.4k|12.74%|9/18 * WF_Autograph|25k|16.99%|7/19 * AODFCU_VS|22k|7.49%|4/20 * Chase_Ritz_Carlton|48.5k|15.99%|10/21 * Amex_BB$|42k|13.24%|8/22 * Redstone_FCU_VS|10k|12.00%|6/23 * C1_VX|30k|14.74%|1/24
Gone: CSP, AA x3, Ink+, Premier, CSR, CFU, CF, AARP, Limitless
Message 6 of 10
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum. Congrats on your recent spree.

Chase will require a HP and if nothing has changed it is doubtful you will receive a bump.
IIRC, Discover does not recon initial cls.
SallieMae, IMO would be a terrible card for international use. Your CSP would be a wiser choice and the UR points are considered more valuable.

You could certainly try to app for Freedom. You might not get an instant app because they might want to verify the second app. Keep on mind, your cl may not be as high as you want. As far as $5k being the starting point for CSP, that is not necessarily correct. Your cr profile/ internal Chase scoring will determine your cl. AFAIK, $5k is their minimum

+1

OP - you will likely not qualify for upgrading your current Barclay Sallie Mae card to the WMC version, even with a CLI on recon (provided they budge).  Another Barclay product will also not be available for a while until your current one is seasoned.

If you absolutely want a WMC, here's an option - you can PC your current BofA Visa Signature (your choice though) to a Travel Rewards WMC - it comes with an EMV chip and no FTFs.  At this point, if you attempt to apply for anything else, it will likely result in a very low CL or declined.

Message 7 of 10
Crashem
Valued Contributor

I believe it is a hard inquiry to join penfed. If that is true, I believe you can use same hp for credit card app. I would check into that.

IMO, best card for miles across airlines is starwood Amex. Most airline partners etc. however not good international card because of ftf. Don't be fooled by "airline" cards that really don't give miles but give "miles" or "points" which can be used to discount travel expenses. They are basically cash back cards with limitations. Cards include ones like cap one venture, Barclays arrival, etc. They need to be judged as cash back cards.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 8 of 10
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

Agree with above post SPG or maybe PRG.  When did you open the Amex?  I forgot how long but if it was opened long enough ago you can still get the sign up bonus.

Also app for the Freedom card to maximize your UR potential.

WIth having both you can get the best travel rewards programs and when you travel internationally you have a card with no FTF.

Message 9 of 10
jenn_bar
Frequent Contributor

@Redneriv wrote:
Thanks guys for the replies.. I wanted a world MasterCard as there have been instances where I was abroad and visa was not accepted so wanted to have alternatives. I was under the impression that the Sallie Mae world MasterCard does not have FTF.

So what world MasterCard would be recommended for travel? And also what card is best for earning rewards for flights with ANY foreign/domestic carrier?

Thank you.

I product changed my CSP two months after apping for a World Mastercard from Visa Signature. This would be your best bet IMHO.

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.