Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Sprees? Why?

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: App Sprees? Why?

@Anonymous wrote:

Why so many credit cards?  AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).  It's the law of averages...the more cards you have, the smaller the impact of a new credit card to your AAoA.  I have 60 accounts.  It's very difficult to lower my AAoA through new card applications.  I have to get like 15 credit cards at once to even bring my AAoA down by a month...and the more years that go by the more difficult it is to bring my AAoA through new applications.

While true, I find this amusing .  Basically you are saying it's good to have lots of cards because it makes it easy to get more!  Which doesn't make sense to those who question why you need more than say 2 cards.

Message 11 of 61
elim
Senior Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

I never really understood app sprees because the more you app, the more HP and inquiries you occur. If you apply for several cards at once, the terms will start to get worse. You'll get APR and limits that are below what you "should" get because your score is now lowered from lots of apps.

I understand the benefits, but overall I think it makes more sense to wait and apply for cards spread out so that you get the terms you want and don't have to call the EO and beg for a better limit or APR. And this advice is something I've had to give myself because it is very tempting to apply over and over, but you also don't want 5 cards with a $500 limit and 24% APR!

app for 5 cards the same day = in 2 years you will have 0 inq's

spread out 5 apps over 2 years = in 2 years you will have 4 inq's

Message 12 of 61
kdm31091
Super Contributor

That makes sense in a certain way, but I still think that you will end up with worse terms on at least one or two of the cards if you app so close together. But it's obviously YMMV.

Message 13 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

A waste of time for me since there aren't 5 or more cards that offer what I want. 

I have Chase Freedom (my first non-CreditOne prime card), and a few store cards that I'll be closing in the not too distant future.  My Wish List consists of Barclay Sallie Mae (Gas, Groceries, and Amazon) and Chase Sapphire Preferred (Dining and Travel), all of which cover my major expenses that don't include rent and student loans which you can't put on credit cards anyway. 

I'll more than likely stop at those three. 

Message 14 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Why so many credit cards?  AAoA (Average Age of Accounts).  It's the law of averages...the more cards you have, the smaller the impact of a new credit card to your AAoA.  I have 60 accounts.  It's very difficult to lower my AAoA through new card applications.  I have to get like 15 credit cards at once to even bring my AAoA down by a month...and the more years that go by the more difficult it is to bring my AAoA through new applications.

While true, I find this amusing .  Basically you are saying it's good to have lots of cards because it makes it easy to get more!  Which doesn't make sense to those who question why you need more than say 2 cards.

Of course everybody's lifestyle and desires are different and some people can buy a house or car on cash  Or maybe they never have emergencies when cash is needed.

But the way I see it, AAoA counts for ~10% of your FICO score.  If you have 2 cards at an excellent 5 years each, your AAoA is 5 years.  But let's say you add a car loan, all of a sudden your excellent 5 years AAoA becomes an average 3 years.

And let's say you subsequently buy a house; those lost FICO points on AAoA could cost you .5 percent interest.  Needless to say; .5% interest on a compounded $400,000 mortgage could end up costing you $40,000 over the life of a 30 year loan.

All because you had no kind of AAoA buffer with only 2 credit cards.

I'm not judgmental, some people work fine with just 2 credit cards.  For me, I like a bit of insurance on my precious AAoA for life emergencies and when I want to make a big purchase and can use every FICO point I can get.

Message 15 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

To each their own, I just think strategizing it and analyzing which bureau will be pulled can tend to be overkill. .

LoL.  Of course it's overkill.  To most people, strategizing for credit cards probably seems a bit on the insane "you got issues" cookoo side.

Come to think of it, logging into a credit forum on my day off seems kind of crazy as well.  Smiley Very Happy

Lol--guilty as charged.

Message 16 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

AppORamas are fun.
Message 17 of 61
Anonymous
Not applicable

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

I never really understood app sprees because the more you app, the more HP and inquiries you occur. If you apply for several cards at once, the terms will start to get worse. You'll get APR and limits that are below what you "should" get because your score is now lowered from lots of apps.

I understand the benefits, but overall I think it makes more sense to wait and apply for cards spread out so that you get the terms you want and don't have to call the EO and beg for a better limit or APR. And this advice is something I've had to give myself because it is very tempting to apply over and over, but you also don't want 5 cards with a $500 limit and 24% APR!

Agreed, and totally understood.  I understand this is a YMMV thing--but the more fundamental question for me is -- why 5 apps at one time anyway? I have five credit cards in total.  I regret getting my JCP card--it was only so I could get 20% off the suit for my brother-in-law's wedding, and it was before I started studying and monitoring my credit reports.  I don't know that I have any intention of getting more, barring a change in my philosophy and/or a 10% rewards card popping up with AMEX.  

Message 18 of 61
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
AppORamas are fun.

lol, yep

i'm putting off my purchases and saving for my next round now (last one was easy and netted my 100k+ points and a few hundred in cash)

it's kind of nice researching and shopping for your next spree's bonus spends. (makes for quality buys)

if Ritz is still huge in 3 months i'm exiting the garden.   :]

Message 19 of 61
elim
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

@kdm31091 wrote:

Agreed, and totally understood.  I understand this is a YMMV thing--but the more fundamental question for me is -- why 5 apps at one time anyway? I have five credit cards in total.  I regret getting my JCP card--it was only so I could get 20% off the suit for my brother-in-law's wedding, and it was before I started studying and monitoring my credit reports.  I don't know that I have any intention of getting more, barring a change in my philosophy and/or a 10% rewards card popping up with AMEX.  

i'm just an idiot who likes shiny/new credit cards and free stuff.

to each his own.

Message 20 of 61
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.