cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App for Chase Freedom / dump Capital One or not?

tag
Eastside

App for Chase Freedom / dump Capital One or not?

Background: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/From-0-to-prime-in-15-months/td-p/2147413

Okay, so I just got a Chase Freedom offer in the mail.  $100 cash back, 5%/1% cash back, 0% apr 15 months, 18.99% after.  Don't really care about the apr, I don't carry a balance, but I like the $0 AF, and cash back on gas.

I'm tempted to take this offer, combined with Discover that would be two cards that I would be happy to grow with me.  I just don't see that happening with Cap1.   I just wasted three quarters of an hour with them telling me I could transfer a balance.  Whoop dee doo.  I was following the advice of this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-to-get-a-PC-or-CLI-from-Capital-One/td-p/1690104

After I waited in chat for 20 minutes only to be told to call the 1-800 number, then waiting there for another 20 minutes to be told the "offers" on my account were for a balance transfer, I thought why am I wasting time with this bank.   Yeah I could email the EO.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they gave me a start, but do I really want to jump through all these hoops?

I don't know.  I don't really want a new card.  But I don't want the hassle of Cap1.  I want 2/3 cards that will grow with me, without the BS.  Should I try emailing the Cap1 EO or just go for Chase and forget Cap1 altogether?

EQ (Discover) 711

CS Fako 790

CK Fako 721

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
lmhenry1
Contributor

Re: App for Chase Freedom / dump Capital One or not?

Go with Chase follow your gut. Coming from a cap 1 secured holder, I say build your relationships wisely and pick a company who will be on your side instead of incompetence .
American Express BCP - $30,000

NFCU More Rewards Amex $25,000

BOA Cash Rewards VISA Signature $25,000

Advantage Aviator Red World Mastercard - $15,150

Southwest Priority Rapid Rewards - $15,000

Chase Freedom -$8,400
Wells Fargo Propel Amex - $7,500
Total CL - $126,050

Future Goals Chase Trifecta
A Discover Card to have as a compliment to Chase Freedom Card
Message 2 of 9
drkaje
Senior Contributor

A Walmart card will probably grow faster than Chase Freedom. Also, Chase requires hard pulls for CLIs.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 9
enharu
Super Contributor

@Eastside wrote:

Background: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/From-0-to-prime-in-15-months/td-p/2147413

Okay, so I just got a Chase Freedom offer in the mail.  $100 cash back, 5%/1% cash back, 0% apr 15 months, 18.99% after.  Don't really care about the apr, I don't carry a balance, but I like the $0 AF, and cash back on gas.

I'm tempted to take this offer, combined with Discover that would be two cards that I would be happy to grow with me.  I just don't see that happening with Cap1.   I just wasted three quarters of an hour with them telling me I could transfer a balance.  Whoop dee doo.  I was following the advice of this thread: http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/How-to-get-a-PC-or-CLI-from-Capital-One/td-p/1690104

After I waited in chat for 20 minutes only to be told to call the 1-800 number, then waiting there for another 20 minutes to be told the "offers" on my account were for a balance transfer, I thought why am I wasting time with this bank.   Yeah I could email the EO.  Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that they gave me a start, but do I really want to jump through all these hoops?

I don't know.  I don't really want a new card.  But I don't want the hassle of Cap1.  I want 2/3 cards that will grow with me, without the BS.  Should I try emailing the Cap1 EO or just go for Chase and forget Cap1 altogether?

EQ (Discover) 711

CS Fako 790

CK Fako 721

I would recommend you email Cap1 before you decide whether to ditch them. See what they can do for you, then weigh your options.

Chase likes to match limits, so chances are you will be getting similar CL to what is on your CR right now. customer initiated CLIs are also HPs.

That being said, the Freedom is a great card. I definitely recommend you getting it. You just need to think about the timing issue.

Theres a lot of other great prime cards you can consider as well. American Express, Citi, Bank of America, Barclays, Chase and couple other banks offers very compelling products.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

I just received my Freedom, which I will use to offset Discover..I also emailed Cap One last month and got a CLI of $3000 on a card I had sock-drawered for the past year. It's at least worth an email and a conversation with them...

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 5 of 9
Eastside

I appreciate the replies. 

But I have a question for you guys that went the EO route.  Let's just say hypothetically, they give me a PC or CLI, won't I just have to go through the BS of having to email the EO the next time I want some sort of upgrade?  Or do they actually treat you like a person once they upgrade you, and give you the time of day without the hassle?

Message 6 of 9
JonStur
Established Contributor

@Eastside wrote:

I appreciate the replies. 

But I have a question for you guys that went the EO route.  Let's just say hypothetically, they give me a PC or CLI, won't I just have to go through the BS of having to email the EO the next time I want some sort of upgrade?  Or do they actually treat you like a person once they upgrade you, and give you the time of day without the hassle?

Just depends on what you call BS...when you email EO, they call you back, you state your case, and get an answer in few days. In my case the process took one day. Kind of worth it for a $3000 increase I think.. just take the emotion out of this and think of it as a business like they will.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 7 of 9
Eastside

Thanks for the feedback.  I've decided to just let the Chase offer go.  I'll stick with Cap1 for now.  I may or may not go the EO route. I haven't decided yet, but I don't want to go closing cards and opening new ones right now.  I'd rather get a mortgage than a new card.

Message 8 of 9
LawStudentCivilis
Established Contributor

@lmhenry1 wrote:
Go with Chase follow your gut. Coming from a cap 1 secured holder, I say build your relationships wisely and pick a company who will be on your side instead of incompetence .

Whoa I'd hardly call Chase a company that "will be on your side".  That's bit of a stretch there.  This coming from someone with flawless credit, 7 year card and banking history with them, and even had Chase EO deny me for lower APR. However, the Freedom is a pretty good card.

I Agree with everyone else to see what EO can do for you at Capital One first. Atleast their CLI only require soft pulls.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.