cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App for Citi Secured now..... get Premier later ?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

App for Citi Secured now..... get Premier later ?

2-3 months ago I have app'ed for Citi Premier and got denied. Citi rep told me they wanted to see at least 2-3 years of credit history(currently 7 months). Would it be beneficial to get a Citi Secured card now and app for Premier again in 6-9 months?. so that Atleast when I apply again I would have some sort of history with them.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: App for Citi Secured now..... get Premier later ?

With your cards in siggy why would you want or need a secured cc. Just keeping doing your thing and in time youll get the Citi card. Best bet to establish with Citi would try for the DC but again, i personally wouldnt go secured if im already in prime territorySmiley Wink
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
With your cards in siggy why would you want or need a secured cc. Just keeping doing your thing and in time youll get the Citi card. Best bet to establish with Citi would try for the DC but again, i personally wouldnt go secured if im already in prime territorySmiley Wink

applied for DC last week and app was instantly rejected bringing total inquiries to 3 in the past 24 months Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

answer is no, another citi card is not a prerequisite of the premier.

Message 4 of 6
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

As already mentioned further upthread OP, a secured Citi CC would serve no purpose given your current profile. What you need is time and patience.

Continue to build your profile/scores and the rest will take care of itself. Given your fairly young profile, try to avoid racking up multiple HPs.

Perhaps in roughly 9-12 months from your youngest account you can try again. Impatience is what kills most strategies.
Message 5 of 6
jbsilva21
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

applied for DC last week and app was instantly rejected bringing total inquiries to 3 in the past 24 months Smiley Sad

As others have said let you current cards grow. You'll get in with Citi before you know it. Citi can be a tough nut to crack for some but keep doing what you are doing and don't app for anything unless you really need it. Also it helps to stay out of the approval section! LOL

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.