Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping for NFCU cc today...

tag
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Re: Apping for NFCU cc today...

@Crashem wrote:

With a recent bankruptcy (and even 3 years is considered recent), it really doesn't matter what your score is.  Hell for many lenders, any bankrutcpy is too recent and many have 5-7 year hard denial rules.  Few decent credit cards are willing to "take a chance" on you.  The result is that your more recent credit history ends up being playing with horrible credit cards with toy limits.  So becomes vicious cycle as you can't show use of decent CL cards and therefore, the few who will consider you so recently out of BK, won't give you anything but toy limits.  NFCU gives you chance to break that cycle. 

I would listen to crashem this man knows his stuff and gives excellent advice.

OP congrats on your approval.  If your willing to move all your DD to them then I would do that now rather than later.  They seem to be more leniant to those who have DD with them that way they kinda know your income.  Wait 6-12 mos (I think you mentioned wanting a car loan in March 2013) then you can apply for a CLI and maybe your car loan with them

NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 41 of 45
miltolam
Valued Member

@rootpooty wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

With a recent bankruptcy (and even 3 years is considered recent), it really doesn't matter what your score is.  Hell for many lenders, any bankrutcpy is too recent and many have 5-7 year hard denial rules.  Few decent credit cards are willing to "take a chance" on you.  The result is that your more recent credit history ends up being playing with horrible credit cards with toy limits.  So becomes vicious cycle as you can't show use of decent CL cards and therefore, the few who will consider you so recently out of BK, won't give you anything but toy limits.  NFCU gives you chance to break that cycle. 

I would listen to crashem this man knows his stuff and gives excellent advice.

OP congrats on your approval.  If your willing to move all your DD to them then I would do that now rather than later.  They seem to be more leniant to those who have DD with them that way they kinda know your income.  Wait 6-12 mos (I think you mentioned wanting a car loan in March 2013) then you can apply for a CLI and maybe your car loan with them

Root, my man...Yup, I'm going to Garden until March. I plan to use the card only for purchases >$100 and pay them off in full every months. Maybe just leave like a $10 balance to show some kind of activity. Comes 3/1 I'm going to app for an CLI. Hopefully that will happen before my statement closes for that month (that way if approved, NFCU will report the new CLI to the CRA which will make my scores go ^ right before I app for a car loan). I'm not really worried about getting approved for a car loan tho. I plan to borrow no more than $23k anyway and to me, that's nothing. Does this seem like a sound plan everyone???

Starting Score: 502
Current Score: 502
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 42 of 45
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

@miltolam wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Good luck. Things should be fine. Keeping fingers crossed for you.

***UPDATE, UPDATE***

OK everyone, I just got a text message notifying that I was approved. I contacted them to see if they needed additional information. The representative told me that I was approved for $2000 nRewards card. How do I feel....ehhh, I'm humbled but I was expecting at least 5k minimum. I have my recon letter here explaining my situation (motorcycle accident). Should I submit it and see if they will give me a CLI or just chill. Please advise everyone...I got it uploaded and ready to go. All I need to do now is just click the button. Thx in advance

congrats.  No harm in trying, but you should be thrilled.  You are barely one year out of bk.  Hardly any cards would approve you for any amount.  The 2k seems generous to me.  Doubt anyone would give 5k to someone who recently blew out their creditors and with minimal experience with credit afterwards.  The reality is they can't tell why you bk  so they need to be cautious.  Maybe send them last couple of paycheck stubs and reiterate your stability and bk a situational thing.  I would ask for specific amount during recon and I wouldn't recommend asking for 5k.   That would look ungrateful.  Just say maybe 3.5k as it would be enough for monthly expenses given your xx salary and how you hope to build history with them and prove yourself.  Ask for cli in 6 months to 1 year or maybe another card product to show multiple decent cl cards as I doubt anyone else will give you multi thousand cl in near future.

This.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 43 of 45
score_building
Senior Contributor

@Crashem wrote:

and This. NFCU is the ONLY lender that could have given such amazing results at this juncture. Treat them like gold and they'll just keep growing with ya, burn them and they will morph into a hound from the dark side.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 44 of 45
Crashem
Valued Contributor

@score_building wrote:

@Crashem wrote:

and This. NFCU is the ONLY lender that could have given such amazing results at this juncture. Treat them like gold and they'll just keep growing with ya, burn them and they will morph into a hound from the dark side.

haahaa.  So true.

LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 45 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.