Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apping with Credit Freeze

tag
Genecio
Valued Member

Re: Apping with Credit Freeze

I didn't know. My file is frozen for security reasons but it is kinda nice to know that I can sorta know which file will be pulled after applying, lol!

Experian 715 (09/04/2013), T/U 706 (12/05/2013), Equifax 743 (12/05/2013).
Message 11 of 15
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

Guess its only $30 to unfreeze them all. I do need to garden for awhile anyways and its hard just waiting and doing nothing. Guess its sit back and wait until its time to pull the trigger.
AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 12 of 15
cottontop
Contributor

My last round of apps were all done with a security freeze in place.  Of course, each was denied for such and requried recon which I expected.  My reasoning for the freezes was that I did not want four different creditors, by some chance, triple pulling me.  I could back out if that was the case.  Also, you get to talk to them while they are first looking at your file, not after a computer denial.  I called while on computer, and I opened the file each one requested, they were immediately able to pull and discuss the report.   I got no negative feedback from the freeze, most seemed surprised I was prepared to handle the situation immediately.   If you aren't trying to pull one over on them and readily comply with their request, I see no problem. That said, I was prepared to decline if one requested more than one bureau.

I don't think it would be a good idea to apply without the intention of following through the app for the sake of seeing which they were trying to pull.  Just wait till you are ready, be at your computer and app and recon away.

FYI only BofA let me choose which to unfreeze.  Citi, AMEX, Chase, Barclay all stated which they wanted.

Also, don't do all recons on the same day, only those that requested same report.  When you unfreeze one it is for at least 24-48 hours, so you are exposed to pulling for the time frame you specify for the lift.  

Chase Unlimited 53k, us bank reserve 14k, nfcu flagship 32k, nfcu 15k cloc, discover 23.9k, citi 29k, 27.5k, GM 7.5k, Venmo 20k, penfed 15k, apple 8.5k,
Biz. Ink 10k, 35k, 20k, 5k. Us bank 9k, GM 29k
Message 13 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

The thing is it honestly really depends on your CR itself.

If you have a less than ideal report, especially with blemishes (late payments, collections, etc), it's best to unfreeze, then apply.

You don't want to make the lenders thing you're trying to hide something on your CR. 

For example you might apply, and they ask you to unfreeze EX. You go ahead and unfreeze EX, and they notice your less-than-ideal utilization ratio or a late payment on file. Any analyst or underwriter will be more inclined to deny you then simply because of the trouble you made them go through and the fact that they think you might have been trying to hide something. Some people can probably explain their way through this, especially if there's legitimate reasons (had identity stolen before for example), but if you don't have a good reason or can't think of one, don't try this and make your life unncessarily hard. Sometimes they might just want to pull another bureau or all 3 just to make sure there's nothing else you're hiding.

And of course, it really depends on which lender you're dealing with, and sometimes the underwriter itself. Some underwriters are strict, some are lenient, and there's no way to tell what you're getting yourself into or who you're dealing with until someone on the other end picks up the phone. And if you're dealing with a company that has pretty bad customer service representatives (CITI comes to mind...lol), the whole process just became even harder.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 14 of 15
staifokuzed
Regular Contributor

@enharu wrote:

The thing is it honestly really depends on your CR itself.

If you have a less than ideal report, especially with blemishes (late payments, collections, etc), it's best to unfreeze, then apply.

You don't want to make the lenders thing you're trying to hide something on your CR. 

For example you might apply, and they ask you to unfreeze EX. You go ahead and unfreeze EX, and they notice your less-than-ideal utilization ratio or a late payment on file. Any analyst or underwriter will be more inclined to deny you then simply because of the trouble you made them go through and the fact that they think you might have been trying to hide something. Some people can probably explain their way through this, especially if there's legitimate reasons (had identity stolen before for example), but if you don't have a good reason or can't think of one, don't try this and make your life unncessarily hard. Sometimes they might just want to pull another bureau or all 3 just to make sure there's nothing else you're hiding.

And of course, it really depends on which lender you're dealing with, and sometimes the underwriter itself. Some underwriters are strict, some are lenient, and there's no way to tell what you're getting yourself into or who you're dealing with until someone on the other end picks up the phone. And if you're dealing with a company that has pretty bad customer service representatives (CITI comes to mind...lol), the whole process just became even harder.

I now see some very good POV.  I am glad I didnt go thru with it.  I am on board with everyone.  After some time I thought that it may affect future relationship with lender.  They do keep records of APPs so I would not be wise.  I have come to terms with the fact that they will pull the report that they ant to pull regardless. 

AMEX B SKY-1K AMEX PRG- NPSL USAA PLTM -6K
DISCOVER IT- 5.2K BARCLAY REWARD- 3.2K
PAYPAL REWARDS -6K VICTORIA SECRETS -1750
USAA AMEX-5.5K CITI TY PREFR 3.1K(NPSL) CHASE FREEDOM -1K
SPORTSMAN VISA- 8K AMEX ED PRFD- 8.5
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.