cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apple Card by Goldman Sachs

tag
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Apple Card by Goldman Sachs Thoughts?

For me this one starts and stops with the aesthetics.   As of now, so sign up bonus, no special financing, blah cash back and requiring the use of ApplePay which there is still a LARGE amount of places that doesn't accept it, makes this one an immediate pass.  

I'll continue to use my BestBuy Visa for large Apple purchases who often offer 6/12/18 month special financing.  

And for those who get it for the looks...just remember that Apple wants you to use ApplePay to gain the 2% back so that means that you're fancy looking card will hardly leave your wallet...if you're trying to maximize your earnings that is. 

Message 41 of 1,373
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If the card has PIN priority, I'll get it so I can use it overseas.  Otherwise I'll pass.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 42 of 1,373
NRB525
Super Contributor

Is PIN priority a known feature of this card?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 43 of 1,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Is PIN priority a known feature of this card?

It’s exclusively for the US market so it’s incredibly unlikely. 

Message 44 of 1,373
Spotsy
Frequent Contributor

What is great with this card is it’s a ‘disrupter’ to the hohum credit card industry.  This will spurn more people to use Apple Pay.  Force more CC issuers to move to a 2% CB model. Give Barclays the heaveho on the existing AppleCard.

Weither you like the card or not...it’s goona produce some interesting changes.

FICO 8: TU:831 / EQ:837 / EX:827 as of 12/25/2023
Message 45 of 1,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Spotsy wrote:

What is great with this card is it’s a ‘disrupter’ to the hohum credit card industry.  This will spurn more people to use Apple Pay.  Force more CC issuers to move to a 2% CB model. Give Barclays the heaveho on the existing AppleCard.

Weither you like the card or not...it’s goona produce some interesting changes.

I think you’re giving it too much credit. 

It will be a hit with millenials (although not this one) but that’s about it. 

Message 46 of 1,373
Andypanda
Established Contributor

i can get  a better deal on most apple products at costco ( including buying itunes gift card below face value) and i get 2% back from my costco visa and another 2% back from executive membership. My iPhone I got at target on Black Friday, I got a $259 target gift card. based on the $700 i paid for the phone, it comes as a 3.6% kick back.

Message 47 of 1,373
NRB525
Super Contributor

Spurn... perhaps not the word you intended, though that seems to be the reaction here Smiley Wink
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 48 of 1,373
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’m not surprised that very few get it. The card is not really for the people here. It’s not for the FICO min/max’rs with many cards. The card is for the data set that has 0-1 card. Only Millennials? Well in 2019 they will become the largest generation 73-74 million. The next generation (Z) is also starting to enter the work force. That’s really where Apple will focus.

Chase has been chasing  😏 that generation too with Finn. The Finn app has some of the gamification of finances that the Apple Card has. Apple has taken it to the next level. Other banks will follow. That’s why it’s a game changer. Because Apple is more in touch with that customer than the traditional bank. It’s like a signal to Chase that they are on the right track and single to other banks that they need to get on board.

Once a year Apple drops a new phone and has million of people coming through the door buying a $1,000 device. Guess what they will pitch them?

The Barclays card was just a Barclays card with the Apple logo slapped on it. This card has the full focus of one of if not the most powerful marketing company in the world behind it. Yeah it’s not going to be a hit with cash back and SUB chasers but that’s not the target market.

The game changer is the app. The cash back is somewhat irrelevant. People who will never get this card will be effected and they will not even know it. Because banks are going to change to compete (they have to if they want the next gen’s business).

Message 49 of 1,373
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Let me throw something into all these posts...

Realize Apples gamification/mint like thing isn't new.. I think its going to be based on Clarity Money which was not too long ago bought out by GS........... 

my guess is its going to be a more integrated variant of the Clarity app customized for/with Apple....

Other thing i haven't seen is if theres going to be a FTF regardless of physical or virtual card.... 

-J

Message 50 of 1,373
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.