Did you mean: 

Apple Pay allows 12 cards, on newer devices

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Apple Pay allows 12 cards, on newer devices

@mongstradamus wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

What's going on with a phone that the limit can't be 100 cards? How much storage space can a card's info possibly take up?

My Samsung S9+ can handle 10 cards.

If i were a negative nancy I would say it would be to force people to upgrade to new devices.

My perception is that the Secure Element that is used to encrypt the specially-generated CC number from the bank, is a hardware feature, a chip, or a specific patch of chip circuitry if part of the CPU.

The Secure Element thus only has a specific amount of space, and wasn't designed for the most active MyFico users, at 100 Credit Cards.

The Secure Element portion of the chip on the iPhone 8 and later, was likely increased by 50% to get to 12.

It is undoubtedly possible to go larger, but as a specific, single-purpose hardware section of the mobile processor, there is a design trade off, and possibly an engineering limitation since the Secure Element must interface with the CPU in some strict methods.

The Passes section uses a screen display of a barcode, rather than NFC, so likely does not need to reside within the Secure Element.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 15
imaximous
Valued Contributor

I don't remember if or when they increased the number of cards you can fit in Apple's Wallet. I typically get every iPhone model that comes out and they've always been full, so I'd delete and add cards frequently. Then I realized that I could have different cards on my Apple watch, so that doubled up the space. I didn't know this because I was always adding cards to my watch immediately after adding to iPhone (you get a prompt to add to watch). I thought both iPhone and Watch had to be synched 🤷🏻‍♂️. Anyway, it's 12 per device, so that took care of the space issue with wallet for me.

Message 12 of 15
icednightpaper
Regular Contributor

This is quite good to know, as I steadily approach that limit. Especially since having 12 usable cards vs not having cards that are "worthless" in Apple Wallet makes a difference. Now if only the US could roll out their readers faster. >_>

Message 13 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

@mongstradamus wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

What's going on with a phone that the limit can't be 100 cards? How much storage space can a card's info possibly take up?

My Samsung S9+ can handle 10 cards.

If i were a negative nancy I would say it would be to force people to upgrade to new devices.

My perception is that the Secure Element that is used to encrypt the specially-generated CC number from the bank, is a hardware feature, a chip, or a specific patch of chip circuitry if part of the CPU.

The Secure Element thus only has a specific amount of space, and wasn't designed for the most active MyFico users, at 100 Credit Cards.

The Secure Element portion of the chip on the iPhone 8 and later, was likely increased by 50% to get to 12.

It is undoubtedly possible to go larger, but as a specific, single-purpose hardware section of the mobile processor, there is a design trade off, and possibly an engineering limitation since the Secure Element must interface with the CPU in some strict methods.

The Passes section uses a screen display of a barcode, rather than NFC, so likely does not need to reside within the Secure Element.

So after a little research, it looks like the Secure Element is either part of or directly attached to the NFC chip (and separate from iOS). So that would rather limit the size of the chip.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 14 of 15
vpae
Established Contributor

Easy.. between Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, and now LG Pay, just carry a few phones lol

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.