cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application Spree - How badly will this hurt??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Application Spree - How badly will this hurt??

Dont worry, ive been there, the last six month ONLY is the most hurtfull, the rest aint nothing TRUST ME.
Stay off for at least six month and you'll be in a good shape
Message 51 of 60
3DCredit

You wrote:

I am actually going to be paying off about 6 collection agencies in September,was going to try PFD but if that didn' tgo through I was going to pay anyways. I most probably should have waited until I had paid these because I most probably would have had better luck. I got rejected from most cards but got approved for some subprimes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, I'm new to this site, but I got sent here by Life After Bankruptcy to get my REAL scores... Even though they primarily help those to recover their scores after BK, the advice they give applies to ANYONE trying to raise scores.  You wrote you were going to pay them anyways, and someone wrote to you about closing accounts, I have to tell you (and if someone already has I apologize), in most scenarios, both of those can actually hurt...  their advise on which lenders do what, how Fair Isaac REALLY gets affected (the main guy is trained annually by them), all of it, has raised my middle score from a 540 to a 695 in less than a year, and MyFico's "calculator" says that in another 6 month, I could go as high as 720-740!!  Granted, every case is different, but the advice they give is dead on.

One last note:  The stuff (books, etc.) they sell you is fine if you have the money, but I didn't, I did this all with their free advice...

Hope that helps!

Message Edited by 3DCredit on 07-25-2008 06:26 PM
Message 52 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

Bella
Let me apoligize first, i wasn't trying to attack . I was speaking because your original post alarm bells were ringing in my head.
I did speak from experience and your situation of having 6 collection agencies to pay off screamed that you had made some big mistakes in the past and I do realize you are trying to correct those.

I speak from the point of view of someone who didn't understand credit and abused it in the past. Although i never got to the point of collection agencies calling me. I did suffer under the default charges jacking my interest rates to 30%. I did miss some payments by accident and am eagerly awating those to leave my record. I am a slave to my fico to a point.
I still use credit , I have a mortgage, My next car will be financed (although with a much higher down payment) I use an amex for some purchases but pay the bill immediately usually with in 48 hours.
So my statement of all credit = debt came from my past where I would transfer balances then rack up new debt  never actually paying down my debts because of the aformention 30% rates. I was spiraling out of control. Also i had a girlfriend in london and the travel costs were all on my credit cards so thats where  warning about traveling came from.

I started listening to dave Ramsey and applied his snowball method as a start. Prior to that I had consolidated a couple of cards to a line a credit from BOA . I would still be paying the stuff off using Ramsey's method if I hadn't received an inheritance. All that taught me a very valuable lesson and I will never have credit card debt again.
I now have just 2 cards(only use 1 0 balance)(keep 1 because it was my first card) and I still have the line of credit although no intention of ever using it again. I still owe student loans and a mortgage (pay nearly double on that)

the result is I now have Ficos in high 700's and 1 822 .

In my case having available credit was bad and its a daily battle having the available credit i do have  nearly 46000 worth and to not use it.

So I apoligize for what came across as an attack but to the the others who called me a troller or ignorant I do know what I am talking about.

Use credit responsibly and you can live with out the stress of overwheming debt

good luck

Message 53 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

ninjaroo wrote:
Bella
Let me apoligize first, i wasn't trying to attack . I was speaking because your original post alarm bells were ringing in my head.
I did speak from experience and your situation of having 6 collection agencies to pay off screamed that you had made some big mistakes in the past and I do realize you are trying to correct those.

I speak from the point of view of someone who didn't understand credit and abused it in the past. Although i never got to the point of collection agencies calling me. I did suffer under the default charges jacking my interest rates to 30%. I did miss some payments by accident and am eagerly awating those to leave my record. I am a slave to my fico to a point.
I still use credit , I have a mortgage, My next car will be financed (although with a much higher down payment) I use an amex for some purchases but pay the bill immediately usually with in 48 hours.
So my statement of all credit = debt came from my past where I would transfer balances then rack up new debt  never actually paying down my debts because of the aformention 30% rates. I was spiraling out of control. Also i had a girlfriend in london and the travel costs were all on my credit cards so thats where  warning about traveling came from.

I started listening to dave Ramsey and applied his snowball method as a start. Prior to that I had consolidated a couple of cards to a line a credit from BOA . I would still be paying the stuff off using Ramsey's method if I hadn't received an inheritance. All that taught me a very valuable lesson and I will never have credit card debt again.
I now have just 2 cards(only use 1 0 balance)(keep 1 because it was my first card) and I still have the line of credit although no intention of ever using it again. I still owe student loans and a mortgage (pay nearly double on that)

the result is I now have Ficos in high 700's and 1 822 .

In my case having available credit was bad and its a daily battle having the available credit i do have  nearly 46000 worth and to not use it.

So I apoligize for what came across as an attack but to the the others who called me a troller or ignorant I do know what I am talking about.

Use credit responsibly and you can live with out the stress of overwheming debt

good luck

Great post, ninjaroo!  Thank you for coming back and taking the time to explain the intentions behind what you posted earlier.

(Except that Dave Ramsey didn't invent the snowball method, but that's really neither here nor there. Smiley Tongue )

Message Edited by cheddar on 07-25-2008 07:35 PM
Message 54 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

HappyDays,
You bet I will take your advice. I am finally on the right track again with my credit again and dont plan to screw it up.
Message 55 of 60
NYGOIL1954
New Visitor

Bella

You have to get yourself in the "Wants versus Needs" Mindset. I noticed most of the cards you went on a 'spree' to get have astronomical APR's too. Not good. As others have said, you need to cease and desist. Shred all apps coming in the mail, and don't apply for any more cards for at least 2 years. Give your credit history time to 'settle.' Pay all bills on time. Even if you can only afford to pay $10 or $20 over the minimum payment due. FICO loves when you pay bills in a timely manner, and hates it when you have delinquincies!

It does affect your FICO score if you go on a 'run' and are applying like crazy. One of the things it took me 3 years to turnaround (on my own report)  is the negative statement of "Too much revolving credit." And I only had 6 cards total. I got rid of all but 2 cards. I also went on the website bankrate.com (another one you would like) and applied for and got a Visa with the lowest FIXED APR in the United States. That enabled me to close down one that had an APR of 12.15%. (and that's considered a pretty good APR)

You can do it. Just keep chipping away at it. It's changing the way you view money. And this is definitely a "Process and not an Event." Do not to expect to see results over nite.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!
Message 56 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

NYGOIL1954 wrote:

One of the things it took me 3 years to turnaround (on my own report)  is the negative statement of "Too much revolving credit."

Where did you see that statement?  As far as FICO is concerned there is no such thing as having too much available credit.

It is possible that specific lenders may have told you that, but having a lot of available credit, in and of itself, does not hurt your FICO score.

Message 57 of 60
NYGOIL1954
New Visitor

Hi Cheddar

I'm going to dig out MY FICO credit report (I printed everything, not just the scores) and I'm pretty sure that one of the 'negatives' printed on the report was too much 'revolving credit w/high balances." That gave me the impression that even thought I was paying my CC bills on time they didn't like the fact that I had too many credit cards. Revolving Credit is not the same as "Available Credit" as your reply to me indicated.

Thanks for your input  though! This is a great website for all of us trying to get on the "Good Foot."
Smiley Wink
Message 58 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

It sounds like the problem was that you were carrying too high of a balance on your cards at that time, not that you had too much available credit, but that too much of that available credit was actually being used.

Message Edited by UpUpUp on 07-27-2008 11:36 PM
Message 59 of 60
Anonymous
Not applicable

NYGOIL1954 wrote:
Bella

You have to get yourself in the "Wants versus Needs" Mindset. I noticed most of the cards you went on a 'spree' to get have astronomical APR's too. Not good. As others have said, you need to cease and desist. Shred all apps coming in the mail, and don't apply for any more cards for at least 2 years. Give your credit history time to 'settle.' Pay all bills on time. Even if you can only afford to pay $10 or $20 over the minimum payment due. FICO loves when you pay bills in a timely manner, and hates it when you have delinquincies!

It does affect your FICO score if you go on a 'run' and are applying like crazy. One of the things it took me 3 years to turnaround (on my own report)  is the negative statement of "Too much revolving credit." And I only had 6 cards total. I got rid of all but 2 cards. I also went on the website bankrate.com (another one you would like) and applied for and got a Visa with the lowest FIXED APR in the United States. That enabled me to close down one that had an APR of 12.15%. (and that's considered a pretty good APR)

You can do it. Just keep chipping away at it. It's changing the way you view money. And this is definitely a "Process and not an Event." Do not to expect to see results over nite.

I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

Hey NYGOIL If I were you I would try to open those cards back up. Sounds like your uti is way too high and having those 4 cards with 0 balances is going to help your scores out. Those 2 cards must be over 50% of your available credit, that's not good
Message 60 of 60
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.