cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied and keep getting denied! Score 679 Help please

tag
jazzy377

Applied and keep getting denied! Score 679 Help please

I 'm a college student with a score of 679. I have 1 old navy credit card and a $6000 auto loan. I had an Amex added on by my mom, but I asked her to take me off the account. I thought I could open up an account that college students usually get approved  for but I've done 3 inquiries and have been denied to two for sure. I'm waiting for Chase Freedom to respond back, but I'm sure I was denied for that too. Choice hotels and Citi Forward denied me already. I know I have a limited account history but why am I being told I need to wait to hear an answer and then being denied and not just instantly being denied?

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Applied and keep getting denied! Score 679 Help please

We need a bit more information....

How long have you had the old navy card?
How long have you had the auto loan?
What is your employment status and how much do you make?
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 2 of 20
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Call the backdoor number on Monday chase will give you a reason right there. 

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 20
jazzy377

I've had old navy for a year and the auto loan in August. I'm a full time student and I work at Macy's part time. I only make $1600 and I have around $2000 saved up in multiple accounts

Message 4 of 20
rootpooty
Valued Contributor

Your still not giving us important information. Where did you get that one score from. If it isn't a fico score don't pay any attention to it. You can pull your tu and eq fico score from here. You state you make 1600 is that per year per month per week? Also what is your AAOA average age of accounts?
NFCU plat 5k | NAVCHECK 5k | NFCU cashrewards 15k | BOFA 123 6k |
Chase Freedom 1.5k | Amazon 3K | Walmart 3K | Buckle 300 | AMEX BCE 2.5K | CHASE CSP 12K | CITI sears 6k | Kay 2k

On the prowl for Chase Sapphire Preferred! APPROVED 12K!
scores 7/14 647 622 630 (85%util)
scores 8/14 767 760 758 Boom! finally in the 700 club
Message 5 of 20
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I'd suggest waiting until you don't have any inqs or new accounts in the last 6 months. If your mom can add you back to the amex and other of her oldest accounts, it will help lots.

After the 6 month cleanup, I would go for boa and wells Fargo Students and Walmart card.
I didn't get how much you make a year, so I can't suggest amex.
I don't recommend discover students as the low limit they give students will haunt you forever.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 6 of 20
jazzy377

That is my FICO score and $1600 is per year.  1 year is my AAOA

Message 7 of 20
Tran92
Regular Contributor

Your not making enough income. I thought my part time job was bad lol. It would be hard to recon when your making only like 130 a month. I am surprise you can pay any bills.
TU 746 (10/13)
GOAL: 750+

Message 8 of 20
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Ya you aren't really making enough sorry to say. I'm surprised you got the auto loan. Best advice; keep on working and going to school. Have your mom add you back to amex and don't apply for anything else until you are out of school and making at least 20k per year.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 9 of 20
Voodard
Contributor

You make $1600 a year and you're wondering why your credit card applications are declined; are you serious?  Besides having an extremely thin credit profile, you don't make enough money to demonstrate the ability to repay your current debt plus an unsecured credit line.  You need to be less aggressive with the apps and keep making your payments on-time to the creditors you have now.  Once you graduate and have a job that pays something more in-line with $1600 bi-weekly you'll receive all sorts of credit card offers.  You'll be an excellent risk for them and you'll probably have your pick of some of the best cards out there.

TU 743 as of 5/12
EQ 715 as of 10/13
EX Plus 780 as of 7/12

Cards in wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred ($25k) Chase Freedom (8k) NFCU Platinum ($24k) HHonors Reserve ($11k)
United MileagePlus Club ($17k)
Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.