Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applied for Discover, wasn't instantly approved

tag
Clashmoore
Established Member

Applied for Discover, wasn't instantly approved

I electronically tried for a Discover More card today with the cash back bonus.

I wan't instantly approved and received the message to wait for correspondence for 5-7 days.

Would it be okay to call the backdoor or recon number before I receive the letter?

- Clash

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Re: Applied for Discover, wasn't instantly approved

I heard Discover is primarily a puller of EQ, therefore, I'm a bit worried of that current score you're displaying as your EQ score in comparison to their standard requirement which is usually in the high 600's.  Sure, you're always welcomed to call the backdoor number prior to receiving the letter, you'll still have that window of opportunity.  Keep us posted on the status.

Message 2 of 12
AtlantaWill30339
New Contributor

My DW applied for a Discover card about a month ago and got the 5-7 day message. She figured she was declined and forgot about it. 2 weeks later she received a call from Discover asking for more info and surprise, she was approved. 

You could try just seeing what the status is...maybe they're being slow lately.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can always check the application status link from their page here's the link

https://www.discovercard.com/cardmembersvcs/acqs/app/displayStatusRequest

Message 4 of 12
700orbust
Frequent Contributor

My DW applied last week, the immediate page said something about an initial approval, but more information was required. After that, the check status page just said it was processing. We called the following morning and was told someone would call within 10 days. Got a call 3 days later, confirmed some info, and gave her a 5K CL. Pulled EQ btw.

------------------------------------------------

What's in my wallet?

Apple, Amex BCP, Platinum, Gold, NFCU Flagship, Spark Biz.
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

My DW And I both applied friday, she was instantly approved and I wasn't, figured I was denied since I have a Qwest Collection showing on my CR, got called today by discover to confirm info and they said I was approved, not the terms I applied for but still was surprised to get approved. Last Fico score from EQ was 623 2 weeks ago
Message 6 of 12
Clashmoore
Established Member

I just called their backdoor number listed in the backdoor thread.

They were very helpful and approved me!

It was for a CL of $1700, which was lower than I was hoping but I plan on using the card for gas monthly so it should get good use out of it and hopefully Discover will take notice.

@JayRizzo

My EQ credit score of 602 was when I ran it with high credit util that I had in February. I just bought a new score and the lower util rate bumped me up to 645 which I believe is where it was at when I applied.  I figured it was around there because the lower util rate was reflected in my TU score.

Message 7 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

Congrats! 

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats Discover must be in the approval mood was approved last week but don't care for my starting APR

Message 9 of 12
DI
Super Contributor

Great news!!  This is a sign that creditors are loosening up its belts and giving more credit to those with lower FICO scores.   Congrats, OP!!

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.