Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appliers Remorse

tag
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

Re: Appliers Remorse

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

I know I cant be the only one thats ever felt this way. Started my credit building journey and got all excited about my first two credit cards. Especially the Freedom woohoo! Then decided to apply for VS and PayPal Connect. Regret both. I havent used the VS card once and I end up using Freedom for the majority of my Ebay purchases since there's an actual benefit to its use. No benefit with the PayPal card at all. Then applied for the Citi ThankYou Preferred (student version) since the requirements seem to be lower for student cards with most companies. Called to check the status and was told they sent a letter for utility bill and ID. Decided yes I want the card but no I dont want the student version bc the sign up bonus is like 20k points less and the starting limit would almost certainly be lower than the regular version. Initiated a chat online and politely requested they cancel the application since it was still in pending status. Representative was pretty awesome, not only did she cancel the application they removed the HP from my EX report. Definitely will apply with them in the future.

So here I am with four cards and I honestly only like 1 out of the 4 Smiley Sad Three of these are going to be cancelled or thrown in the sock drawer at the 6 month mark! I dont want to end up with a list of toy limit cards that I dont particularly need just bc I caught the approval bug and went app crazy Smiley LOL Maybe its just me but I'm glad I came to this realization early.

To add to what others have stated, do not disregard the Cap1 Card. Is it a student card or a fresh steps card?  My first card was $500 platinum that went to $750 by the time I got the card in the mail (they upped my limit for some reason) then within 6 months I got a cli of $3k. I PC'd the card around 8 months to the QS card and eventually got another CLI to my final CL today. Plus they PC'd the card from a MC to a World MC. So use the card as much as possible and you will see growth. 

Also, keep in mind that CLI requests do not require a HP but they do with Chase.

Your on the right track!

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 11 of 25
BluePoodle
Valued Contributor

@heyitsyeh wrote:

I currently have Applier's Remorse for the Barclaycard Arrival, only because they switched to World Elite a month after I received the standard World card. Although this was completely out of my control, and they are working on upgrading everyone to World Elite eventually.

Why is World Elite a negative?

CapOne $7500 | Discover $8500 | Amex ED $25K | Barclay SM $5700 | Chase Disney $500 | Chase Slate $5K | Target $3K | Hilton Amex $2K
Gardening Since 4/3/2017
Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Noted Blue! I think heyitsyeh is saying that they would have preferred simply applying for the World Elite version if they had known about the upcoming change rather than choosing Arrival? I think....

Message 13 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@BluePoodle wrote:

@heyitsyeh wrote:

I currently have Applier's Remorse for the Barclaycard Arrival, only because they switched to World Elite a month after I received the standard World card. Although this was completely out of my control, and they are working on upgrading everyone to World Elite eventually.

Why is World Elite a negative?

It isn't. heyitsyeh is saying that they wish they had known Barclaycard was going to be a World Elite otherwise they would have waited to apply Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 14 of 25
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

OP, don't worry about your credit profile so much now. Everyone has to start somewhere. Not saying go on a app spree or close the cards you were able to get. Credit isn't a race. It takes time to build it up to where it should be. Just be careful and mindful of your decisions Smiley Happy

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 15 of 25
shane82388
Established Contributor

@p- wrote:

Hang in there; the Freedom will grow with you, and the spend categories make it a pretty good cashback card.  Capital One will grow as well.  Both have been my highest limit as my credit improved.  If you use the other two once a year or so, and don't pay an annual fee, they can only help you.

Man, wish my Freedom would grow with me...started at $500 and am only up to $1200 in about 3 years...in that time ive got a CLI on pretty much every other card and approvals for up to $7500...not seeing Chase as a grower really...sadly.

Message 16 of 25
navajomyst2003
Frequent Contributor

I have  applier's remorse for Amex Blue Sky.  May PC to BCE in Nov at 13 month mark.

In my wallet: Cap1 Venture ($58k), Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex HH ($4K), Barclays Ring MC ($10K), Chase Sapphire Preferred ($22K), Chase SWA Visa Preferred ($7.5K), Chase United Mileage Explorer VS ($20k), Chase Marriott Rewards VS ($12K), BOA BBR MC ($41K), BOA Visa Sig Cash Rewards ($30K), Chase Ritz VS (9K), NFCU Flagship Visa ($55K), Discover It ($6K), Citi AA ($20K). Everything else in SD.

FICO goal: 800+ (as of 3-6-15: EQ FICO 774,,TU FICO 808, EX FICO 775)
Message 17 of 25
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

@navajomyst2003 wrote:

I have  applier's remorse for Amex Blue Sky.  May PC to BCE in Nov at 13 month mark.

you know you don't have to wait 13 months with Amex right? I actaulyl chatted with Amex about if I can PC my BCE which I got in November about a week ago and they said yes to the Blue sky card. I said no thanks but was way before a year 

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 18 of 25
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

@CallaLilyLover wrote:

I know I cant be the only one thats ever felt this way. Started my credit building journey and got all excited about my first two credit cards. Especially the Freedom woohoo! Then decided to apply for VS and PayPal Connect. Regret both. I havent used the VS card once and I end up using Freedom for the majority of my Ebay purchases since there's an actual benefit to its use. No benefit with the PayPal card at all. Then applied for the Citi ThankYou Preferred (student version) since the requirements seem to be lower for student cards with most companies. Called to check the status and was told they sent a letter for utility bill and ID. Decided yes I want the card but no I dont want the student version bc the sign up bonus is like 20k points less and the starting limit would almost certainly be lower than the regular version. Initiated a chat online and politely requested they cancel the application since it was still in pending status. Representative was pretty awesome, not only did she cancel the application they removed the HP from my EX report. Definitely will apply with them in the future.

So here I am with four cards and I honestly only like 1 out of the 4 Smiley Sad Three of these are going to be cancelled or thrown in the sock drawer at the 6 month mark! I dont want to end up with a list of toy limit cards that I dont particularly need just bc I caught the approval bug and went app crazy Smiley LOL Maybe its just me but I'm glad I came to this realization early.

To some degree, I also regret my VS.   I basicaly took it because it was offered.   It's my lowest CL at $550 and I only use it at BBW.   I'll likely close it at the two year mark

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 19 of 25
chalupaman
Super Contributor

I have appliers remorse for basically opening the Target and Old Navy cards in the first place but thankfully I've closed both of those and got way better cards anyway and kept the store cards that have actually grown in their CLs which for me have been all GE stuff. Fingerhut not as much though they were only useful for me for a couple of months until I realized how overpriced their stuff was and how I was only really buying socks from that place just to keep it active so that one ended up being closed too. I will give them credit for giving my first ever auto CLI though.

Also me even bothering with Chase in the first place, especially without over a year's worth of credit history and plenty of inquiries and newly opened accounts. That's about it. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with how far I've come on my credit journey and being able to learn from my mistakes along the way and knowing that the majority of the cards I have now are useful for me in different ways. I also have a very good idea of which lenders really want my business the most so I'm just gonna stick to those and let my relationships with them grow as well.

Tradelines: Macy’s - $18k, Penfed Power Cash Rewards - $10k, Ethan Allen (TD Bank) - $5.7k, Kay Jewelers - $5.5k, Appliances Connection - $5.3k, Jared - $5.25k, Best Buy (Citi) - $5k, Dell Preferred Account - $3.5k, Samsung - $3.2k, Firestone CFNA - $3.2k, Capital One Platinum - $3k, Mercury MC - $2.25k, Williams Sonoma - $2.1k, Wayfair (Fortiva) - $2k, Amazon Store Card - $1.8k, Apple Card - $1.7k, NFCU cashRewards - $1.5k, CareCredit - $1.5k, B&H Photo - $1.5k, Adorama - $1.25k, Ebay MC - $1k, Sam’s Club MC - $1k, American Eagle - $1k, Ollo MC - $600, Mission Lane Visa - $500, NY & Company - $500, Walgreens - $500, Home Depot - $500, Target RED Card - $500, CapOne Secured MC 0 AF - $500, Penfed Overdraft LOC - $500

Current FICOS: Mid 640s-50s on all reports, Ch 7 BK D/C Aug 2019
Starting scores: EX - 534, EQ - 574, TU - 516 | Total TLs: $91k approx | Total Utilization: 17%, getting this back down
Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.