Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for AMEX?

tag
bman86
Regular Contributor

Apply for AMEX?

I wanted some input on whether or not I should wait to pull the trigger and submit an application for an american express card. If so which one is my best shot at getting approved for?

Here's my info currently EQ: 695, TU: 701, EX Plus: 709.

I had two charge off accounts that were paid a few years ago, one collection account that was paid about 3 years ago, my current utilization is about 22% I have about $14,500 worth of available credit. 3 Inquiries within the last two years. The only thing on my experian account  for derog payements is a late payment from APR '11 that HSBC is just agreed to take off my report it has updated on the other two bureaus except for experian. Let me know what you think.

Side note I had an AMEX back in '05 which has a satisfactory paid and was closed at the grantors request. Would it be smart to call them and see if they will reopen the account or at least give me history backdated from that date on a new card?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Apply for AMEX?

@bman86 wrote:

I wanted some input on whether or not I should wait to pull the trigger and submit an application for an american express card. If so which one is my best shot at getting approved for?

I had two charge off accounts that were paid a few years ago, one collection account that was paid about 3 years ago, my current utilization is about 22% I have about $14,500 worth of available credit. 3 Inquiries within the last two years. The only thing on my experian account  for derog payements is a late payment from APR '11 that HSBC is just agreed to take off my report it has updated on the other two bureaus except for experian. Let me know what you think.

Side note I had an AMEX back in '05 which has a satisfactory paid and was closed at the grantors request. Would it be smart to call them and see if they will reopen the account or at least give me history backdated from that date on a new card?

Welcome to the forum

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 19
bman86
Regular Contributor

Thank you! I have always seen good info come out of here!

Message 3 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bman86 wrote:

Your scores are within range of Amex any charge card is the easiest way to get your foot in the door and if approved for a charge immediately app for the revolver of your choice.

However have you tried to GW the charge off and late accounts? This maybe a deal breaker with Amex

As for re-opening the old account Amex reissues the old numbers so not possible you would probably be backdated tho upon an approval

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 4 of 19
bman86
Regular Contributor

I am assuming GW is a goodwill? I haven't tried it on the charge off accounts both were paid off in full. Any suggestions for going about submitting something like that? Both accounts were with bank of america if that makes a difference. As for the late payment, The account never had a late history but somehow it was reported to the bureaus that way. I called HSBC about it again yesterday since it updated on the other reports but not experian. She said it could take around 14 days after it was submitted to the credit reporting agency. It was submitted on the 18th so I figured in another week or so and itshould be reflected on experian. 

Message 5 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bman86 wrote:

I am assuming GW is a goodwill? I haven't tried it on the charge off accounts both were paid off in full. Any suggestions for going about submitting something like that? Both accounts were with bank of america if that makes a difference. As for the late payment, The account never had a late history but somehow it was reported to the bureaus that way. I called HSBC about it again yesterday since it updated on the other reports but not experian. She said it could take around 14 days after it was submitted to the credit reporting agency. It was submitted on the 18th so I figured in another week or so and itshould be reflected on experian. 

Good on the highlighted Yay 

Go to rebuilding forum make a post about sample GW letter and correct goodwill letter for BofA 

You will probably find someone with experience fighting with them 

Good luck if you can get them to remove ....boom Amex will be yours even if you can get 1 to go away along with the updated late I think you stand a better chance of approval but with 2 and the late I wouldn't recommend wasting the HP= hard pull right now.

Sorry but i'm being honestSmiley Sad

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 6 of 19
bman86
Regular Contributor

Okay perfect! I will head over there an make a post.

No worries! I appreciate the honesty, that's why I posted about it here. At the very least the late payment will go away but I'll be stuck with the two carge-offs. I think both of them fall off my report in less then two years. I forgot they were that old.

Message 7 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bman86 wrote:

Okay perfect! I will head over there an make a post.

No worries! I appreciate the honesty, that's why I posted about it here. At the very least the late payment will go away but I'll be stuck with the two carge-offs. I think both of them fall off my report in less then two years. I forgot they were that old.

People have been approved with charge offs but 2 is close IMHO=in my honest opinion

I will be pulling for you Good luck

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 8 of 19
bman86
Regular Contributor

I will wait and see what happens with the goodwill letters.

Any other card suggestions beside AMEX that I would get a decent limit? That's really my goal here most of my cards are in the 3-4k range. I have heard good things about chase freedom and some others.

Message 9 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

@bman86 wrote:

I will wait and see what happens with the goodwill letters.

Any other card suggestions beside AMEX that I would get a decent limit? That's really my goal here most of my cards are in the 3-4k range. I have heard good things about chase freedom and some others.

If you have luck getting those removed you can have your choice ...everything else looks great scores,limits,AAoA....

So you can pick what best suits you and I think get approved for any

Before you app think...
Can you afford the AF?
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.