cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Barclay Reward Card? (I need a doctor)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for Barclay Reward Card? (I need a doctor)

Right now on my TU report:

My Zync I got 2 months ago is reporting (backdated to 2008)

2 student loans totalling $5600

1 Inquiry

My $500 limit card from local CU 2 months is not reporting for some reason.

My original goals was to garden 6 months from May, apply for CLI on CU card, apply for BCE and Freedom. But I have the itch to app now... I would like at least a $1k-2k limit. What are my chances? Would I even get approved?

Do you think I should just keep gardening?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for Barclay Reward Card? (I need a doctor)

I would stay away from Barclay's if I were you. I don't understand why anyone likes them. I would pick CapOne over them anyday. Are you still a student? If so, I would recomend Discover's student More card. You can get approved for that card without any credit history.

Message 2 of 8
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

Stay away from the app screen.  Garden.  You do not want 1-2k limit, you want your next card t be in the signature range, of at least 5k.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'd think I was 18 looking at my credit profile, but I'm actually 22 and make 50k... I was an AU on my Mom's card, and didn't realize how important it was to work on my credit.

The reason I was looking into Barclay over CapOne is CapOne gets such a bad rap on this forum. Another reason was they seem to be TU exclusive.

I have 7 inquiries on my Experian report, and I'm going to have to wait so long for them to fall off....

However, I do agree that I was my next card to be a signature card, but the wait is going to be so hard. I have a Samsung SGIII on order, and I hate the fact that I have to keep monitoring my balance so I don't go over my limit when it ships.

Date:   May 29, 2012
   Date:   April 24, 2012
   Date:   April 21, 2012
   Date:   April 18, 2012
   Date:   December 17, 2011
   Date:   November 17, 2011
   Date:   October 5, 2011
Message 4 of 8
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Just prepay the 0 balance so that it is positive. When the cu card reports as 6 months open, then consider another card. Don't worry about restricting to tu pullers only. Would probably think about easier to get Amex revolver as you have some history with them by that point. Main reason for Amex is both for backdating and for their cli policies. Your cc limits showing are low so goal would be to get Amex then get the 61 day cli. Once cli hits, you should show old Amex with higher cl. Once that Amex hits, app away for 2-3 visa/mc that you want.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 5 of 8
huntforfun

The biggest problem you may have is that you have so many inquires for Barclays. I know that they only pulled TU for me but IMO just garden and wait and you would be happy in the long run. Wait until most of them fall off and then apply for a prime sig card.

Starting Score: 580
Current Score: 663
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 8
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Repo-ed wrote:

Stay away from the app screen.  Garden.  You do not want 1-2k limit, you want your next card t be in the signature range, of at least 5k.

Other than CU's and maybe USAA, it's hard to make that jump in one shot from what I've read here and what the OP posted regarding his tradelines... and regardless of length of gardening for that matter too.  Short of secured cards, is there a shortcut I'm unaware of on this?

        
Message 7 of 8
Ron1
Super Contributor

Barclays is worse than Cap1. They CLD or closed people's account like BofA.   Stay away from them.

Ron.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.