cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Freedom now, or wait for $300 offer to come back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Apply for Freedom now, or wait for $300 offer to come back?

I told myself I was going to garden longer, but I the itch is too strong for me to resist.

I buy lunch almost everyday so I think the +10 points on each swipe would be very beneficial for me. The only thing holding me back is that they are only offering the $100 offer instead of the $300 offer. Do you guys think this offer will ever return? Can I ask them to give me the offer before or after I apply for the card?

Are there any other cards I should look into? Maybe BCE? 

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
YahComb
Established Contributor

Re: Apply for Freedom now, or wait for $300 offer to come back?

if you don't really need the card you might as well wait, though who knows when that offer will actually be around again, or if it will ever be that high again. You have something like 90(someone said a chase rep told them 93) days to ask for a better offer if one is offered in that time frame.

EQ-736(08/14) TU-752(09/14)
Newest to Oldest
Barc Sallie Mae 6K | Citi TY Pref 4.5K | US Bank Cash+ 10K | Chase Freedom 11.7K | Disc It 10.5K | Amazon Store 2.5K | BOA Cash Rewards 10.5K |

Closed Cards: 4 Oldest: 3yrs AAOA: 2yrs
Message 2 of 24
melbaro
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I told myself I was going to garden longer, but I the itch is too strong for me to resist.

I buy lunch almost everyday so I think the +10 points on each swipe would be very beneficial for me. The only thing holding me back is that they are only offering the $100 offer instead of the $300 offer. Do you guys think this offer will ever return? Can I ask them to give me the offer before or after I apply for the card?

If the 10 points per swipe is a kicker for you, then app now. The 10/10 is going away and will only be the 10% portion if you apply after the 11th this month.

A bird in the hand is better than two in a bush.

Message 3 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@melbaro wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If the 10 points per swipe is a kicker for you, then app now. The 10/10 is going away and will only be the 10% portion if you apply after the 11th this month.

If I apply before the 11th of this month will I keep the 10 points for the life of the card? Or will it ultimately end?

I honestly don't know if the 10/10 is reallty THAT beneficial for me btw.

Message 4 of 24
distantarray
Established Contributor

depends how many times you swipe per day, if you swipe 10 times a day that's $1 a day you could be making + 5% category bonuses + access to the ultimate rewards mall could potentially make you more than the $200 extra by waiting for something that could never come back.

5% categories remember like this month for travel, if you don't have any 5% travel cards right now that could save you $100 on a $2,000 ticket purchase right now which isn't too hard to do around the holidays with families even for domestic flights.  Plus Bestbuy and Kohls is on special right now, so $4,000 purchases would already get you 5% back. If you don't have Visa Signiture and get approved for it you get a lot of purchase benefits like price matching, accident insurance for damaged or stolen goods etc.

total credit limits $108,400 Credit scores Ex 728 EQ 738 TU 758
Message 5 of 24
flowfaster
Established Contributor

If the 10/10 is going away then I would wait.  The 300+ offers have been around for the last two years.  I got in on a $350 offer in April of this year.  I'm actually thinking of closing my Freedom card and transferring the CL to my Amazon card.  Then reapply later next year when a bonus comes around.  I think I can scrape by with only the Discover card until the Freedom bonus goes $300+ again.  Since the categories are pretty much the same.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 6 of 24
melbaro
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@melbaro wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If I apply before the 11th of this month will I keep the 10 points for the life of the card? Or will it ultimately end?

It will remain for the life of the card. It beats just the 10%. See the trifecta thread and see if the benefits are in your favor to app now with 10/10 or later with potentially never getting a better offer for Freedom and just a 10/0.

Message 7 of 24
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

I think you can only get that offer if you apply with a coupon and opening a checking account at the same time as the credit card. They send those out sometimes.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 8 of 24
flowfaster
Established Contributor

@distantarray wrote:

depends how many times you swipe per day, if you swipe 10 times a day that's $1 a day you could be making + 5% category bonuses + access to the ultimate rewards mall could potentially make you more than the $200 extra by waiting for something that could never come back.

5% categories remember like this month for travel, if you don't have any 5% travel cards right now that could save you $100 on a $2,000 ticket purchase right now which isn't too hard to do around the holidays with families even for domestic flights.  Plus Bestbuy and Kohls is on special right now, so $4,000 purchases would already get you 5% back. If you don't have Visa Signiture and get approved for it you get a lot of purchase benefits like price matching, accident insurance for damaged or stolen goods etc.

The cap is $1500. Smiley Wink

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 9 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

@melbaro wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@melbaro wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

It will remain for the life of the card. It beats just the 10%. See the trifecta thread and see if the benefits are in your favor to app now with 10/10 or later with potentially never getting a better offer for Freedom and just a 10/0.

Can you link the source of your information?

I would need 2000 swipes to make up for the $100 bonus instead of $300 (unless my math is incorrect?).

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.