cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for Wal-Mart card through online order - approval odds better???

tag
jk26978
Regular Contributor

Apply for Wal-Mart card through online order - approval odds better???

Okay....as I have posted before, I cannot seem to get approved for a WalMart card, reason given...BK.  So, I am asking for anyone's opinion - does anyone think that my odds for approval would be better if I applied while placing an order on their web site???

Any Opinions are greatly appreciated.....

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for Wal-Mart card through online order - approval odds better???

I would think your best chances would be in the store.   

Good luck!

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jk26978 wrote:

Okay....as I have posted before, I cannot seem to get approved for a WalMart card, reason given...BK.  So, I am asking for anyone's opinion - does anyone think that my odds for approval would be better if I applied while placing an order on their web site???

Thanks

K

With a BK reporing, unfortunately, you're going to get the same results no matter how you apply.  Walmart is not BK friendly, at all!

Message 3 of 13
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
With a BK reporing, unfortunately, you're going to get the same results no matter how you apply.  Walmart is not BK friendly, at all!

This is incorrect.  Walmart is through GE and IS very BK friendly and a great rebuilder for BK filers.  Both DH and I were approved for Walmart cards POST BK with BK still reporting.  We both also have additional GE cards (JCP, Amazon, RoomStore, CareCredit).  How recent is the BK OP?  Maybe the issue is the BK is still to fresh for them.  But in no way is BK a disqualifier for GE backed cards.  Did you app for the Discover version maybe?  That's harder to get with a BK, but still doable. 

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 4 of 13
jk26978
Regular Contributor

At the time that I app'd (online - so i do not remember which i app'd for) I was 2 years and 3 months post filing - filed in 8/2009 discharged in 12/2009 - had cards prior with GE - all paid and closed a few years prior, in good standing.  Other than that, I don't know.....I was also declined a CareCredit card as well for the same reason.  Just seems like GE doesn't like me.  I am planning on trying again around November this year, that way, yes their 1st inq will still be showing but will be a year old....the only other inq at this point will be for a "what i call rebuilder" loan thru my local CU....they seem to be very understanding and helpful......

Thanks

K

Starting Score: 650 Current Score: EQ:674 (SW Alert 12-28-15) - TU: 698 (5/27/13 SW)Chapter 7 filed 8/2009 - Discharged 12/2009 Goal Score: 750
Joined the garden again 12/5/13
In the garden again till at least 6/1/16

http:
Message 5 of 13
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@jk26978 wrote:

Thanks

K

Nooooo...not accurate at all. Walmart approved me with a $600 CL with a BK7 barely a year discharged and a 600 TU FICO.

These things are always YMMV, but in general Wal-Mart if BK-friendly. Wal-Mart may just be taking the easy path to explanation by tossing out the BK reason since that denial reason is impossible to argue out of...it's public record and staying for 10 years.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 6 of 13
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Doesn't really matter. I apped in the store because I thought my chances might be better, but the store just has a computer where you fill in the app online. It is exactly the same as doing it at home. The same system is used regardless of whether you app online or in the store.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 7 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

I tricked the online site into thinking I was checking a bunch of stuff out and chose to app as my choice of payment, thinking it would increase my odds of approval (knowing it had NOTHING to do with the actual approval or denial) and was approved for $400 CL instantly.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 8 of 13
golo
Frequent Contributor

So you think it was because of that?

Message 9 of 13
Repo-ed
Senior Contributor

@golo wrote:

So you think it was because of that?

No, not at all.  Had to do with my TU credit file, since that's what they pulled.

5/2012: 560 credit scores across the board
12/2014: 750+
3/2017: 780+
11/2019: 833
2/2023: Experian via Chase United Explorer CC pull - 891
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.