cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for a 2nd Card, Ditch Orchard, or Tread Water?

tag
RIHomebuyer
Valued Member

Apply for a 2nd Card, Ditch Orchard, or Tread Water?

I started my rebuilding journey a year and a half ago with about a 580 score and now have a fairly decent score, a $700 Orchard limit, a $2000 student loan, and a new $219,000 mortgage that just started reporting yesterday.   Thanks for all of the advice along the way!!!  No other debt, but lots of inqs courtesy of the mortgage approval process.  (8?)  The Orchard card is a year old with a perfect history, the student loan has been current for a year, and the mortgage of course is shiny and new.  

Does anyone have any idea of what to do next?  Should I hold tight or app for another card?  Orchard is my one and only, and about to charge my annual fee next month, but with so many new inquiries and a new mortgage reporting, I don't want to do something that will cause me more harm than good.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

hr>Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 696 EX(lender)711 TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Apply for a 2nd Card, Ditch Orchard, or Tread Water?

You've got a lot going on!

I'd be willing to wait a few months, settle into your house, avoid increasing your utilization (new homes have surprise costs sometimes).

Then look at what will work best for you long-term.

Congrats!

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, seeing that the Orchard is your only revolving line, I'd keep it until sometime in the future you get 2-4 higher limit cards reporting.

Message 3 of 6
sc2761
Contributor

Try Cap One, they are pretty friendly and approve most of the time.

Opened 12/2010 Quicksilver MC now $10000; Opened 04/2012: Barclays Rewards MC now $15000; Opened 12/2013: Logix Platinum Rewards MC now $15000; Opened 12/2013: DCU Platinum Visa now $3000; Opened 03/2015: Cap One Venture Rewards Visa now $16000; Opened 03/2015: Chase Freedom Visa now $2000; Opened 03/2015: Safe CU Platinum Rewards Visa now $1500.
Message 4 of 6
RIHomebuyer
Valued Member

Thanks for the advice.  I decided to hang onto Orchard for another year and applied for a home depot card (since we seem to be spending all of our money there anyway.)  It was approved for $1250 online and bumped up to $3000 when I called the recon number and told them that I needed appliances.  Smiley Happy  I think I'll garden with those two accounts and stay current on the mortgage and student loans and reconveine next year right before my Orchard annual fee gets billed out.

hr>Starting Score: 580
Current Score: EQ 696 EX(lender)711 TU 679
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just wanted to say Congratulations on the New Home Smiley Happy

Best of Luck!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.