cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for all cards at the same time for better odds?

tag
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

Apply for all cards at the same time for better odds?

I am planning on applying at least to Discover, Cap one, Barclays, BoA and Chase. 

Is there a strategic way to do this to increase my approval odds?

All on the same day, within minutes/hours, etc.. or any other way I should look into before going on my app spree?

Any suggestions are very much appreciated. 

Thanks

Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Apply for all cards at the same time for better odds?

@Superduper2014 wrote:

I am planning on applying at least to Discover, Cap one, Barclays, BoA and Chase. 

Is there a strategic way to do this to increase my approval odds?

All on the same day, within minutes/hours, etc.. or any other way I should look into before going on my app spree?

Thanks

Generally, inquiries are almost immediately available to issuers looking at the same CRA so timing in that sense isn't critical. As a general rule, if you insist on spreeing, apply first for the issuer you think is most sensitive to inquiries so they will see the least.

ETA: To pre-empt Barclays haters:   Note though that even if approved, all issuers will review your account from time to time.   So while going for Barclays first might prevent a rejection due to too many inqs, once the inqs and new accounts show up, some issuers may then take AA including closing the new account.

Message 2 of 24
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

IMO it might be better to apply for 3 cards then wait 6 months and pick up the other two - no one needs 5 new cards all at once and you'll get better SL's and less "notice" (aka possible AA) by taking a slightly slower road to your goal. 

Message 3 of 24
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker 

ETA: To pre-empt Barclays haters:   Note though that even if approved, all issuers will review your account from time to time.   So while going for Barclays first might prevent a rejection due to too many inqs, once the inqs and new accounts show up, some issuers may then take AA including closing the new account.

Thanks for replying. May I ask what is the deal with Barclays ? Never had a card with them, Is there a reason why people hate them and also why some obviously love them? 

Message 4 of 24
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

@pipeguy wrote:

IMO it might be better to apply for 3 cards then wait 6 months and pick up the other two - no one needs 5 new cards all at once and you'll get better SL's and less "notice" (aka possible AA) by taking a slightly slower road to your goal. 

You are correct, I don't need that many cards. 

Which ones would you suggets I go for from the ones I mention if you had to choose at least 2?

Discover pre approval gave me a 13%+- APR but I have no idea if it will be on a $100 CL or what, since I settled with them back in 2012. Surprised they even want me back. 

Thanks

Message 5 of 24
Appleman
Valued Contributor

5 new cards? Slow the roll and plan on applying for a new acount once every 6 months. It will keep the inquiries down and allow each account to age 6 months before the next app. 

That would also keep things spaced in case some great sign on offer comes up.

Message 6 of 24
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

Discover and Cap-1 are probably the easiest ones to acquire. (I have Discover with a $22k limit and I've closed all my Cap-1 cards other than Cap-1 backed cards ie: Cabela $18k and GM $13.5k).

Barclays will say no until they say yes which might take a while. (I have 2 cards with Barclays $15k and $11k)

BoA "approved" me for a big $2k CL which stayed there no matter how many HP's I suffered until I closed it 3 years later. A year later I applied again and started with a $15k SL which is now $25k. I also have a second BoA card with an $18k limit.

Chase well they are Chase, I have 3 accounts Freedom Unlimited $10k, Amazon Visa $5k and  AARP at $6k these are my lowest limit cards and they don't seem to be interested in increasing my limits (I always PIF on all three).

You didn't mention your income or credit scores so it's hard to know exactly how you might succeed, but if I were you I'd start with Discover and Cap-1 and go from there.  

Message 7 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Remember Chase's 5/24 rule (maximum of 5 apps in 24 months). If you're interested in a Chase card, I would apply for that one first if you're about to hit 5 within 24 months.

Message 8 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I generally just try to app at the same time and chill for awhile. I don't quite understand how this makes lenders nervous, but in my recent experience if you are apping but not using much of the limits on your new card lenders are more likely to give you credit & higher limits: let me explain per my situation:

My credit got tanked a few years back from not paying for a while on my first ever credit cards. I had three cofs.

So then I ended up applying for the starter unsecured cards (total visa, first access and first progress secured)- I've had those paid on time for the past almost year to a year (aoaa) then I decided I needed more utilization, because currently they're maxed but I'm making payments (sometimes multiple on these each month- but I'm still using) my score is around 650 when I started my app spree.

But I started with the State farm Student visa (got denied) because of my past credit history. Then I opened the Fingerhut card with 600 SL because I knew it would be no hard pull. Then I went to Neiman Marcus because it would be a big SL. I got approved for 1K. Then I apped for buckle & Wayfair (using the SCT) & got 2.25K SL (2K Wayfair) ($250 buckle) again no HP. Then I apped at USAA & got approved for $500 SL so by then the USAA Neiman Marcus Buckle & Fingerhut (apped around 3 months prior to previously mentioned app spree) these have all showed up (but I still havent used any of them.

So even though by aaoa shot my score down 40 points now 610, once fidelity finally finished the underwriting process I've been approved with 3K SL (they probably actually pulled me around 650 but saw I wasn't using any of my new credit- even though my old ultilization on my starter cards was high.

Wayfair still hasn't shown up.

But that's how I just worked my recent spree. So my suggestion is if your doing it within a month or two, just go with ones that will give you big SL if possible & don't use much of the new limits, so you keep getting approvals.

Of course, I still haven't gone for some of the banks your shooting for yet, because I am going to try to age my cards some a big then spree again maybe? Or do like one a year or something. I don't know...
Message 9 of 24
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

May I ask what is the deal with Barclays ? Never had a card with them, Is there a reason why people hate them and also why some obviously love them?

1)  The deal with Barclay's is that they want you to use there card and get jealous if you have to many other cards or get a lot of cards after theirs.  They will often lower your CL or cancel your cards.  That said if you are somewhat loyal, and not a new card chaser every few months they can be good.

2)   You should get the cards that will benefit you most.  This is where others can't really help without a lot more info.  Some want cards for zero balance transfers, others want a low APR card to carry long term balance.   Many want travel rewards and other only cashback.  After figuring what you want as rewards you need to figure where your normal spend falls.  Cards can give rewards in many categories and this depends where you spend your money.   My cards are not necessarily your best cards. The same for other posters.  You need to do homework on cards to find the correct fit.  All of the mentioned issuers have good cards, which is the best for you only you can answer.

Agreement with other posters

I agree with the idea that it would be better to slow down and not go for all at once.  No more than 2 now.

Easiest to acquire:  (Discover and Cap-1)

Fastest CL increases:  (Discover)

If you're interested in a Chase card, I would apply for that one first 

Chase's 5/24 rule (maximum of 5 apps in 24 months).

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.