cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apply for all cards at the same time for better odds?

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Apply for all cards at the same time for better odds?

I think that when one is spreeing, almost always go for Chase first due to 5/24. Also keep in mind that Chase has been known to approve, then shut down the card if they figure out that it was acquired as part of a spree.

People are down on Barclays because they're hard to pin down. We tend to know what spooks other lenders, but with Barclays, it can be anything. Too many new accounts is something we know they're sensitive to, though.

Outside of approvals, denials, inquiries, shutting down after approving, etc., keep sign-up bonuses in mind. You absolutely don't want to spend money that you wouldn't have spent otherwise to meet them. Temporarily shifting spending from another card is fine, but thinking up ways to spend money isn't.

Message 11 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

As others have stated I would always apply for Chase first and then the others. Personally, I wouldn't apply for more than three cards at once because I wouldn't want to spook my current lenders (I usually only do two). Also, I am a fan of applying for my cards at once and then gardening instead of spreading out cards over a certain amount of time because I would rather the cards grow together plus I feel like the lenders will be less spooked that way. I just did this with a Chase and Citi card. 

Good luck!!

Message 12 of 24
Meanmchine
Super Contributor

Why would anyone plan a spree and app for a Cap1?  Why give up 3 HPs when that one application could pay for 3 other apps

>3/2016 EX 644 CK-TU 642 CK-EQ 660 WalMart- 671.
>5/2023 All 3 reports 840ish (F8) F9s = 850 but my app finger is still twitching
Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

You have not really been clear what your intent is from getting new credit. Based off your previous post history it looks like you have previously burnt a handful of these banks 6 years ago. You also say you have 4-5 cards already in that post.

By shooting apps at 5 different banks, some you’ve previously screwed up, I don’t think you are making the best decision. You already have more than 3 cards, your score more than likely won’t increase just by adding more credit. Time will be your best friend in this situation. The longer you continue to pay on time and in full, the higher your score will get. If your current cards do not reflect your spending habits as far as cash back or points earnings go, find a card or two that will satisfy your spending. If you like to travel, consider the Amex ED. If you want rotating categories, Chase Freedom or Discover It. If you want cash back and to not worry about which card to use, look at the Citi DC. You have the cards necessary to drive your score upwards already. I wouldn’t aimlessly app for anything else and instead would develop a strategy to maximize what you can earn by using credit instead.
Message 14 of 24
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Forget the spree.  Just get the Chase card now.  In six months, apply for the Amex card.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

So this is how I have done it. Note that I am new to this country and had no credit history by any means prior to this thing below. 

I started with Discover IT (secured) card with CL 200USD applied in Nov 2017 followed by that applied for Chase Freedom card after a month and was approved by CL 800USD (My Banking Institution). After that I made noob mistakes of applying for credit cards at AMEX, Cap1 Venture and BOA reward cards with such thin credit file (obviously was rejected, they needed Good to Excellent Scores and 6 months of CC history) Moving forward two months later decided to get secured cards from Capital One platinum and Citi and was approved with 200USD CL each and man, approvals for CC are addicting fortunately, I was approved for BOA Travel Rewards this time for 1000 USD CL.

As of now, I am in the garden with the seeds I have sown.

Message 16 of 24
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As others have stated I would always apply for Chase first and then the others. Personally, I wouldn't apply for more than three cards at once because I wouldn't want to spook my current lenders (I usually only do two). Also, I am a fan of applying for my cards at once and then gardening instead of spreading out cards over a certain amount of time because I would rather the cards grow together plus I feel like the lenders will be less spooked that way. I just did this with a Chase and Citi card. 

Good luck!!

Those two sentences seem to be somewhat contradictory!   If you need/want 4 cards say, what do you do.....

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

That's because I'm giving my personal opinion without judging others for having a different one. I have never need/wanted 4 cards at a time IMO I think that's overkill.

But what I was trying to say is that whatever number of cards you want I would apply for them at once and then let them age together rather than getting a new card every couple of months. In that same spirit, I was saying I don't recommend applying for more than three cards at once even though plenty of people have done it and been fine.

Obviously OP can do what he is comfortable with.

Message 18 of 24
Superduper2014
Frequent Contributor

I appreciate all your comments. 

I am waiting to see if Chase pre approval link gets fixed and then I will see if I have a chance at one of their cards. 

(if anyone knows another link that works, please let me know https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/pre-qualified since this one is not working)

If Chase gives me the pre approval, I will apply for one of their cards first, but if their link continues to be down by the end of the day I will just go with what I have pre approvals on which is Cap One and Discover. 

I don't feel very confident in applying to Chase without knowing if pre approved since I settled with them several years back.

I think 2 new cards will be enough. I need them for new purchases I need to make and be able to carry a balance on them for at least 12 months. Cards with a spending bonus would be great too if you have any suggestions on a card that offers that. 

Thanks again

Message 19 of 24
aircobra
Regular Contributor

@Superduper2014 wrote:

I appreciate all your comments. 

I am waiting to see if Chase pre approval link gets fixed and then I will see if I have a chance at one of their cards. 

(if anyone knows another link that works, please let me know https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-cards/pre-qualified since this one is not working)

If Chase gives me the pre approval, I will apply for one of their cards first, but if their link continues to be down by the end of the day I will just go with what I have pre approvals on which is Cap One and Discover. 

I don't feel very confident in applying to Chase without knowing if pre approved since I settled with them several years back.

I think 2 new cards will be enough. I need them for new purchases I need to make and be able to carry a balance on them for at least 12 months. Cards with a spending bonus would be great too if you have any suggestions on a card that offers that. 

Thanks again

https://www.chase.com/prequalified

Currently rebuilding:
1/18 -
7/19 -

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.