Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Credit Cards as a foreign student

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for Credit Cards as a foreign student

My introduction:

I am a foreign student here in the US. I am considered a non-resident alien.
My credit score is about 750 but it is just 9 months old.
The way it got to 750 is that when I interned (paid internship), I applied for a Credit Card in the organization’s Credit Union.

Now, I am thinking of getting another Credit Card.

My questions:

1. Do ‘big banks’ approve credit cards for non-resident aliens?

2. What should I put as my annual salary?

Note: I used to make around $2800 per month on my internship (I interned for 8 months (Jan 2018 - Aug 2018). Presently, my family sends me about $1500 per month and that is my only income.

1. Let us say that a bank approved my application, what kind of credit limit am I looking at? ($300? $500? $1000? more?)

Another note: I should be able to start working starting Feb 2019 for about $60K+ a year.

Thank you so much for your answers and advice, I really appreciate it.

Another little question: Is there any way of finding out if the bank that I'm trying to get a Credit card from gives out Credit cards to international students without 'applying'. Because I know even if they deny my application on whatever grounds, my Credit Score will take a hit.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Applying for Credit Cards as a foreign student

Welcome to the forums! As long as you have an ITIN (assumed so since you have been able to generate a US credit score), you should be fine to apply with any lender that allows ITINs which includes most (but not all) of the big banks.

For your income, I would put your actual estimated 2018 income including what you have earned this far, then after beginning your new position update it with your lenders.

I’d take a look at which credit cards best suit your spending and what kind of rewards you want (points/miles or cash back), then ask back here about specific cards. You should be able to choose a good card for you rather than just settle for what you think you can get.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.