Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for Credit

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for Credit

3. Applying for Credit

Applying for credit can be tricky. On the one hand, you need credit cards if you want to build a credit history and have a good credit score. On the other, applying for too many cards too quickly can hurt you. That's because each inquiry (when a creditor pulls your credit report and score to see if you qualify) drops your score a little, says Watts.

How much depends on your previous history. Ironically, the more you need to apply for new credit -- say you're just starting to build a credit history or you're trying to recover from a bankruptcy filing -- the more inquiries will affect your score. "If someone already has significant credit problems on their report and now they're shopping for new lines of credit, that's an indicator that they're a higher credit risk," Watts says. Same with people with little or no credit because there isn't sufficient information on the report reflecting positive credit management to balance the negative impact of the inquiries.

What to do? "Take it slow," Watts says. "That's good advice for anyone, but especially if you're trying to recover or are new to credit."

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for Credit

Now ya post this exactly a day after I applied for 4 cards and got accepted for 2
with 1 pending... Smiley Very Happy
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry,  I just saw this on AOL this morning.  Good for future reference, right?
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

myhearts07 wrote:
Sorry,  I just saw this on AOL this morning.  Good for future reference, right?

Any info is good info as I am a lot more knowledgable now than I was just a month ago...
Keep up the good work...
Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me too, I got a little crazy yesterday! I had a run of good luck but 4 out of 6 ain't so bad. I think I'll be able to live with it, he he.
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

pastorrikk1 wrote:
Me too, I got a little crazy yesterday! I had a run of good luck but 4 out of 6 ain't so bad. I think I'll be able to live with it, he he.

Who did you apply for?
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wow 4 out of 6 ain't bad.  What cards did you get and what scores do you have currently, if you don't mind my asking?
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

carnival,us air(barclays) hooters(merrick), bestbuy(hsbc) are the ones I got. Wallmart, chase are ones that shot me down.
Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

TU-mid 600's, EQ (power score just shot up 69 points to 700 cuz target CO dropped) EX-mid 600's, since I started this little credit game as it is my scores have gone from in the tank to "not too shabby" in 2 months!
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I  almost forgot I have a BK in 1999, and 2 CO in 2001,2002, one dropped the other will be off soon. I like to write the "nutcase I'll be using the info for littigation letters"
Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.