Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for The Citi Diamond Preferred Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Applying for The Citi Diamond Preferred Card

hello, IM 19 years old and a college student I have pretty good cedi for my age at 731. I was sent a application for the citi diamond preferred card  I like what the card offers and was wondering if any body could help me by telling me if I should apply or not ? I called Citi and spoke with a man named Kyle from Maryland, Kyle told me Applying is not a hard inquiry. I have 0 income by the way. some body please help me !!

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Applying for The Citi Diamond Preferred Card

Sounds like Kyle gave you a bs answer.
Message 2 of 11
mrcrush20
New Contributor

well the income alone is enough to get denied this card with that score alone

and this kyle you spoke to lied, a new credit app is a hard inQ form cit

Message 3 of 11
chnceit
Valued Contributor

This Kyle person needs more training or maybe is in training.

Credit applications especially for CC's will result in a HP, there are only some companies that approve credit cards with only a SP, but you need to be a member already like PenFed. 

CCCs could pull your credit for CLIs so beware and ask questions before initiating a CLI

You are a full time student and the Diamond Preferred is not a Student card. Since you dont have income like other posters stated you could get denied right away.

Try for the CITI Student Forward card. Good luck on your journey!

Last Pulled EQ: 809
Last Credit Card App: 02/05/2016
Last CLI: 02/06/2016
Find Me: Gardening
Message 4 of 11
KS13
Established Member

What credit accounts do you have on your credit report and what are their limits? 

Also you should have put your household income on the Citi application. 

Message 5 of 11
mrcrush20
New Contributor

OP accounts and info

1st finacual usa CL 900 blance 0 open about 6 months 

cap one AU CL 651 blance 495 open about 20 months

no missed payments

household income say 100k 

still you think citi will approve the diamond preferred card ?

i think your better off with a discover it student 

Message 6 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

What credit accounts do you have on your credit report and what are their limits? 

please explain why the OP should put HH income on the application?  I just checked the Citi app and it ask for salary or wages, not household income...  it's probably not the best to advise someone to lie on their income.

I would think that if he actually used HH income Citi might question how a 19yr old had such a high income and request some type of verification which the OP couldn't provide

I know here we are trying to help people obtain credit, but before we give advise we should probably make sure we are being responsible about it.  OP what do you plan to charge on this card and how to you plan on paying those charges?  if you are getting money from your family it might be best to ask one of your parents to co-sign for you on a CC, that would help you get a greater chance for approval and being a younger adult just starting out it might be nice to have someone a little older and more responsible help look out for your finances.

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 7 of 11
KS13
Established Member

@mrcrush20 wrote:

OP accounts and info

1st finacual usa CL 900 blance 0 open about 6 months 

cap one AU CL 651 blance 495 open about 20 months

no missed payments

household income say 100k 

still you think citi will approve the diamond preferred card ?

i think your better off with a discover it student 

No I don't think he will be approved. Citi is tough. 

Discover It or try store cards like Macys or Walmart which will help build credit further. 

Message 8 of 11
KS13
Established Member

@ryanbush wrote:

@KS13 wrote:

please explain why the OP should put HH income on the application?  I just checked the Citi app and it ask for salary or wages, not household income...  it's probably not the best to advise someone to lie on their income.

I would think that if he actually used HH income Citi might question how a 19yr old had such a high income and request some type of verification which the OP couldn't provide

I know here we are trying to help people obtain credit, but before we give advise we should probably make sure we are being responsible about it.  OP what do you plan to charge on this card and how to you plan on paying those charges?  if you are getting money from your family it might be best to ask one of your parents to co-sign for you on a CC, that would help you get a greater chance for approval and being a younger adult just starting out it might be nice to have someone a little older and more responsible help look out for your finances.

Thats not a lie. When he doesn't have any income you put household income. And if they do ask for verification, which they probably won't but even if they did it wouldn't make a difference as you would just tell the representative the situation that you put household income. Before you start going on your rant of what's "right and wrong" and against the law, no lender cares if you put household income will doesn't have the time to go after indIviduals. If they suspect you won't be able to pay off the credit card, you'll be declined. 

mild profanity edit ---Rev

Message 9 of 11
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

@KS13 wrote:

@ryanbush wrote:

@KS13 wrote:

Thats not a lie. When he doesn't have any income you put household income. And if they do ask for verification, which they probably won't but even if they did it wouldn't make a difference as you would just tell the representative the situation that you put household income. Before you start going on your rant of what's "right and wrong" and against the law, no lender cares if you put household income will doesn't have the time to go after indIviduals. If they suspect you won't be able to pay off the credit card, you'll be declined. 

I think you're complety wrong, if you have no income how do you have the ability to repay a debt?  we're not talking about a live at home spouse issue here we're talking about someone that has no ability to repay a loan on their own, sure maybe they are getting income from their family, but what if that income stops (job loss, death) now how does the OP have the ability to re-pay?

would you loan you're personal money to someone that had no job and no way to repay you?

if they wanted your household income listed they would ask for that, not your income from wages and salaries...

Edit: modification of quoted text, same as above --Rev

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.