cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for credit while in the military: Employer Information?

tag
migo13
Contributor

Applying for credit while in the military: Employer Information?

I just commissioned, and I'm stuck in the IRR while waiting for AD orders. I have several questions about applying for credit. Hopefully those who are serving or have served can enlighten me.

I've noticed that on some credit card applications employer name is required. For tax purposes, I believe employer name is listed as DFAS.

1. Should I write DFAS or my branch of service?

2. What address do I use?

3. What phone number do I use? 

I was hoping I could apply for a couple of cards, then garden during BOLC (OBC). But if they need the address of where my unit is, commander's name, etc. I will not be able to provide that because I don't have a unit yet. Anyone?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

Re: Applying for credit while in the military: Employer Information?

For me i just put employer as USMC and the address as Unit/ camp Lejeune NC. I dont think that part matters nearly as much as your home address. and phone number i put as my office number down where i work. Theyve never called.

if youre in the inactive reserves waiting to go active... what are you putting down as your income?

Lender pulled 10-10-13
EQ Fico 715 | EX Fico 714 | TU Fico 703
Message 2 of 13
migo13
Contributor

500/month from other sources. 

Would I be better off using my projected income?

Message 3 of 13
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

How bad do you need a cc? Ive heard of instances where banks and credit unions ask for paystubs to verify income. If youre going to get orders soon, I would but if youre unsure of orders have you looked into getting a secured credit card.. do you have any money saved?

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 4 of 13
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

also look into military credit unions like Penfed and Navyfed.. youre more than likely going to get accepted for a Navy Federal card though as Penfeds underwriting criteria is more strict.

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 5 of 13
migo13
Contributor

I don't need a credit card bad at all, just eager to rebuild. I'm probably better off waiting until orders come in though, at least then I'll have some sort of documentation and could perhaps explain the situation and apply over the phone. I do have a Capital One secured card that I can add money to, but I was hoping to replace it with a prime w/o an annual fee.

Message 6 of 13
migo13
Contributor

@iMacDrew wrote:

also look into military credit unions like Penfed and Navyfed.. youre more than likely going to get accepted for a Navy Federal card though as Penfeds underwriting criteria is more strict.

I definitely want to apply for Navy Fed, but I was waiting until I had orders so I could list AD on the application. 

Message 7 of 13
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

just go with what youre making, there no sense waiting imo. were you prior enlisted or just straight commisioned? 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 8 of 13
migo13
Contributor

What I'm making as in the 500/month?

Just straight commissioned, no prior service.

Message 9 of 13
iMacDrew
Frequent Contributor

naw like the base pay, bah where you may be stationed. theres a lot to it. 

Lender pulled 10-10-13
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.