Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Applying for first credit card- Suggestions appreciated

tag
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Re: Applying for first credit card- Suggestions appreciated

You also might consider calling Amex and asking them what the minimum qualifications are. Explain your current situation and see what they have to say.

They would tell you - without your taking a hard INQ...

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 11 of 18
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

For Capital One,    Pick one from the "Average Credit".  The  "Student" cards might be good for you,  no AF.

Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

let's do some investment.I would suggest open two or three secured cards with limit $2000 each.
You will save yourself some hassle next 8 months to one year when applying for unsecured card.
1. your average age of account will not reduce as much compared to having only 1 tradline when new tradeline at that time start being reported.
2. your credit limit will be more likely start at more than $1000 if you have some history on $2000 TLs, avoid being stucked in toy hell.
Message 13 of 18
MOOK515

You need to go to a CREDIT UNION in your area and talk to them about getting a credit card.  I owe 14,000 in student loans and I make half of what you do. However, I was still able to obtain a visa card through my local credit union with 10,000 dollar credit limit. You can do better than orchard, go to a local credit union and talk to them in order to see what they can do for you. 

Message 14 of 18
castlefox
Regular Contributor

+1 to a credit union.   I bet you can do much better than orchard with a local credit union. 

I also got my first CC from Shell.  They didnt ask how much I made.   They gave me a 400 dollar CL. 

MyFICO score- Equifax - 12.03.11 - 780 Experian 12.03.11 - 763
(FAKO Scores) EXP PLUS Score Dec 2011. 748
Advanced Risk Score 2.0 (NextGen) 793 Dec 2010
Vantage Score (2011) MAR = 771 Jun = 771 Sept= 788 Dec= 773
2012 MAR = 782 JUN=783 Dec = 789
2013 Mar-796 Jun-799 Dec- 797
Message 15 of 18
clownfico
Valued Member

+1  to Rockin' Ray.

Frankly, if your education or life experiences to this day has done you well, let Amex Zync be the cornerstone to a your budding fiscal ascent. 

Message 16 of 18
shane82388
Established Contributor

Agreed. Amex Zync would be amazing. Then later you could get a credit card to go along with it if you ever needed to carry a balance and just to have another trade line reporting...

With no revolving accounts though, i could see AMEX being weird about it...but who knows, maybe not. Probably just try for the AMEX Zync and if that doesnt work get a secured card or go with Orchard/Cap 1....I dont see how you couldnt get a Cap 1 card...i know people in the 500's get them regularly...

Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

I applied for the Amex Zync but unfortunately I was declined.  I'm going to try the credit union through my employer next week.  Hopefully they might be able to work with me.  If not, I'll go the secured route.  Thanks for everyone's help.

Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.