Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apprehensive to apply for Barclays

tag
frogfan12
Established Contributor

Apprehensive to apply for Barclays

I really really REALLY want a Macbook Pro. After much consideration and viewing several videos online, I want to make the switch to Mac. With the 0% financing offer available from Barclays, it looks like I'd be able to purchase the laptop now and have it PIF within the next 12 months interest free. I've read really positive things about Barclays via different threads but I'm still kind of apprehensive about applying. I have really good credit scores and excellent credit history. My only concern now is one of my card's util is nearing 50% but all of my other cards are pretty near zero. My overall util is probably near 13ish%. What do you guys think my odds are of being approved? All of my other CLs hover around $3K-$5K. I would just like some advice before I go ahead and apply, which I want to do within the next week because of the financing deal possibly coming to an end in the near future.

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 1 of 55
54 REPLIES 54
patternofstars7
Contributor

Re: Apprehensive to apply for Barclays

With your scores I'd say you'd have no problem getting a card. Don't have the card personally, but I read here a few times if they start you with a low CL that you can recon for a higher one so you can score a MacBook. BTW you'll love the MacBook. Best decision I made buying one.

Message 2 of 55
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

patternofstars, I'd say in general you are right, HOWEVER please be aware that score is NOT everything. They just declined me, and sent me my score (750) in the letter explaining why. Basically it was that I had no revolving accounts.

So I would agree generally you are 100% correct, with the caveat that score is not everything. In this person's case they do have revolving history so I doubt they would honestly have any problem, but I did want to throw that out there just so others are aware that Barclay's requires that you have some current revolving history.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 3 of 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

I really really REALLY want a Macbook Pro. After much consideration and viewing several videos online, I want to make the switch to Mac. With the 0% financing offer available from Barclays, it looks like I'd be able to purchase the laptop now and have it PIF within the next 12 months interest free. I've read really positive things about Barclays via different threads but I'm still kind of apprehensive about applying. I have really good credit scores and excellent credit history. My only concern now is one of my card's util is nearing 50% but all of my other cards are pretty near zero. My overall util is probably near 13ish%. What do you guys think my odds are of being approved? All of my other CLs hover around $3K-$5K. I would just like some advice before I go ahead and apply, which I want to do within the next week because of the financing deal possibly coming to an end in the near future.

You have nothing to worry about. I think you would get 2K or more from Barclays.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 55
patternofstars7
Contributor

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

patternofstars, I'd say in general you are right, HOWEVER please be aware that score is NOT everything. They just declined me, and sent me my score (750) in the letter explaining why. Basically it was that I had no revolving accounts.

So I would agree generally you are 100% correct, with the caveat that score is not everything. In this person's case they do have revolving history so I doubt they would honestly have any problem, but I did want to throw that out there just so others are aware that Barclay's requires that you have some current revolving history.

Did you recon your denial? I agree score is not everything but several memebers have posted that they have had success with a recon. If the denial is still recent I would absolutely recon and try since it already resulted in a HP

Message 5 of 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@patternofstars7 wrote:

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

Did you recon your denial? I agree score is not everything but several memebers have posted that they have had success with a recon. If the denial is still recent I would absolutely recon and try since it already resulted in a HP

+1

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 6 of 55
frogfan12
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

You have nothing to worry about. I think you would get 2K or more from Barclays.

We shall see...

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 7 of 55
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@frogfan12 wrote:

@LS2982 wrote:

@frogfan12 wrote:

We shall see...

Post your results!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 8 of 55
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Good luck with your application !! Barclays will instantly approve you, based on your credit history as described. And if you don't get at least 2.5K CL just call them for recon ~ they are great. And enjoy your new MacBook !
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 9 of 55
LilloEsquilo
Contributor

@patternofstars7 wrote:

@LilloEsquilo wrote:

I don't know if I really care enough to beg them for the card. I don't really have any use for it in mind, other than to get in with them and boost my score, so if they aren't interested, I don't know that I'm a lot more interested right now, so no I haven't done a recon. I doubt I'd use it to be honest I am just looking to boost my score and not actually buy anything with it. Probably not worth the effort. Truth is, that's really all I applied for it for which in hindsight was probably a mistake anyway. I'm thinking of just letting it go.

FICOS 2/2012 EQ: 763 TU: 761 EX: 746 (1/2012 EX)
Cards: Associated Bank Visa 9000, Paypal Mastercard 3000, Amazon Store card 1100, Barclays Apple Financing 2500, Cap One Rewards Mastercard 3000
Message 10 of 55
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.