Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apprehensive to ask for Amex CLI

tag
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Apprehensive to ask for Amex CLI

Hi All

I have a BCE with an $8k limit - my balance did at one point, get to around $2500 before i started paying it down pretty heavily. Over the last 2 months, I have got my balance down to $800 or 10% - I have not been using my card for about 2 months, because I have been trying to get the balance down and not put more on it.

It has been around 9 months since I last apped for a CLI (approved) - I just asked for a 2x CLI and went from $4k to $8k - I do not NEED a CLI, but it could finally break the $10k barrier - I wouldn't ask for more than the 10k

I have 7 cards with 3 reporting balances (0%) available credit around $45,000 with balances of around $5,800  - Discover Fico 744

Should I go for it - or wait for a while? Thanks All Smiley Wink

Message 1 of 37
36 REPLIES 36
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

Re: Apprehensive to ask for Amex CLI

I can't think of any reason not to ask for the full 3X 24k. 

Why wouldn't you go for it?  What do you have to loose?  I think they counter if they aren't willing to give the full amount.

Message 2 of 37
axledobe
Frequent Contributor

I would go for at least 10K but I'm like you, I'm hesitant to go for 3X then 3X again. I plan to take my 6K to 10K in December then leave it alone.  Good luck whatever you decide. 

FICO SCORES: TU 769; EX 790; EQ 790 ***Gardening indefinitely***

Message 3 of 37
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I get so confused with everyones worry and fear of asking for what Amex sets as the policy... they are very clear on the 3x policy so why wouldn't you just do it and get the instant counter... it's what the computer is waiting for!!!

Message 4 of 37
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

So you think it would be instant approval or counter? - It shouldn;t be a 7 - 10 day message or anything like that (presuming I have no lates or baddies, of course) - Don't know if my nerves could handle it lol

Message 5 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

I get so confused with everyones worry and fear of asking for what Amex sets as the policy... they are very clear on the 3x policy so why wouldn't you just do it and get the instant counter... it's what the computer is waiting for!!!

+1 

Nothing ventured, nothing gained...  The worse they can say is "no".  If I worried and got all worked up over every "no" I've gotten throughout my journey, I'd be a nervous wreck by now.  Just type it in and hit submit.  If they so "no" then fine...  At least you asked.  They don't have an oportunity to say "YES!" if you never ask.  Then there's always the chance that they counter which is fine too.

Message 6 of 37
chrisw1968uk
Frequent Contributor

Thanks all I appreciate it

Message 7 of 37
wacdenney
Valued Contributor

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

So you think it would be instant approval or counter? - It shouldn;t be a 7 - 10 day message or anything like that (presuming I have no lates or baddies, of course) - Don't know if my nerves could handle it lol

I think it's an instant decision.  I've never heard of anyone getting a 7-10 day message, but even if you did that doesn't change the three possible outcomes. 

Just go for it!  Or don't...  Smiley Happy    Ultimately, you gotta do whatever you think is right.  I just don't understand the apprehension is all.  What exactly are you afraid of?

Message 8 of 37
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chrisw1968uk wrote:

Should I go for it - or wait for a while? Thanks All Smiley Wink

I'vre a Amex CostCo since 5/11 with a initial CL of $14.1k. Did not ask for a CLI un 12/12 and was bumped to $24k flat. Through all that time I charged up, paid down, maxxed it out, paid it off 100%, then maxxed it one more time and paid just over the minimum payment every month until a few weeks ago, where I paid it down to $10k. I logged in, hit the CLI, requested $10k more and received the 7 - 10 day response.

I'm sure it is because of going over the $25k CL, so I called into the Credit to see if I could get a reason. The response was, you will have the reason in the mailing and can call back then. It also leads me to believe that Amex might not be as easy as it once was, unless I'm missing something.

Just my 2 cents.

AdCred1

Message 9 of 37
Dalanar
Regular Contributor

I would agree with everyone about just going for the full triple amount.  I have a similar credit limit with the BCE and I will definitely be going for 24k+ once I hit the 61 days.

Experian: 729 Equifax: 740 Transunion: 732
Capital One Mastercard: $0.4K, Capital One Quicksilver: $5K, Chase Southwest Premier: $7.5K, Amex Blue Cash Everyday: $24.9K, Discover It: $9.4K, Chase Sapphire Preferred: $16.9K, Citi Hilton HHonors Reserve: $7.7K, Arrival+ BarclayCard MC WE: $7.5K
Message 10 of 37
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.