Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Appropriate time to apply for an AMEX Green

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Appropriate time to apply for an AMEX Green

@chen9810 wrote:

There are many other rewards you can consider at first, like the chase freedom, discover more and chase sapphire. They are more rewarding

Right, unless building a relationship with Amex is important, Chase's CSP or BofA Travel rewards card would be better since the OP mainly plans to use it abroad.  

CSP has first year fee wavied, nice sign up bonus, great rewards program, and no forex fee.  BofA is no fee, no forex, and EMV chip. Both are better than Amex abroad given the that Amex will charge a forex fee on every transaction, not to mention wider acceptance.

Message 11 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123: Part of my reasoning was to develop a relationship with AMEX, part of it is to have a charge card, and part of this is because quite frankly, I'm not sure I would qualify for the "top tier" of rewards cards be it AMEX or anywhere else.
Message 12 of 18
Open123
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
@Open123: Part of my reasoning was to develop a relationship with AMEX, part of it is to have a charge card, and part of this is because quite frankly, I'm not sure I would qualify for the "top tier" of rewards cards be it AMEX or anywhere else.

Makes sense!

After your Amex, I'd highly recommend considering a no forex chip & pin MC/Visa card.  These days, this technology is becomming more widespread and isn't solely reserved for high end travel cards.  

Try and see if you'd qualify for the BofA Travel card.  No fee, no forex, and EMV (not to mention 1.5% rewards on spending) seems like a great deal when using abroad.  Combine that with an Amex charge, and you'd have a nice combination.

Message 13 of 18
chen9810

If you just want to build relationship with AMEX, you could try Sky Blue or Cash,  they offer $100 signup bonus at least. Sky Cash offers 3%~6% rewards in supermarket. I think that would be better. As for charge card, I am not sure if that could be helpful for your credit score. Maybe even make it lower

Starting Score (FICO): EX: 667 7/6/2012, EQ: 721 7/22/2012
Goal Score: 750 till Dec 2013

Chase: Freedom (1.7k), Sapphire Preferred (5k), Hyatt (5k), United (5.7k); Amex: Blue Cash (5k), Blue Sky (5k); Citi Dividend (4k); Discover More (5k); US bank FlexPerk Cash (2k); BoA student (2.5k)
Message 14 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Open123: Thanks! I will definitely look into the BofA card and the no forex chip card. Is that the one from TRAVELEX. I guess my only concern now is after I play clean up on my revolving end, will my lack of income cause me to be denied by AMEX. Hmmm...
Message 15 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@chen9810: Great point about how it could lower the score. One strategy for me is that I would like to use the AMEX charge, then immediately (or at nearest convenience) make the payment, so that whenever the charge card gets reported to the bureaus, it will show little as possible. Just a strategy. You really think Sky Blue is a better option overall? I mean I guess, but the APR is high and I'm not sure if my lack of income is going to be an issue for approval on another revolving account...
Message 16 of 18
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I think I read only first app with amex is HP and after that they SP you or something like that.

We would need someone with the info to chime in though.

Edit: No one has ever verified my income and I´m 19 right now.. started when I was 18 years old.

I don´t know about amex but I think you could include your scholarships as income.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 17 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cruzimperial: Yeah I think I can as well. Doing some research on this and I'm seeing that being 'creative' about where income comes from isn't wrong unless I flat out lie, which I wouldn't do. Well that's good info to know thanks!
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.