Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval Odds for Secured DiscoverIT?

tag
ddemari
Super Contributor

Approval Odds for Secured DiscoverIT?

I really want the DiscoverIT card but my fico is too low around 655, has anyone been countered with the secured card with a score like that?

My current utilization is 2%, AAOA is 5 years, History 12 years, I have a bk that will fall off in November of this year and a collection from 2008. 

I also have 7 inquires on Equifax and 8 on TransUnion. In Illinois, it will either be a EQ or TU pull... I know too many inquires Smiley Sad 

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Approval Odds for Secured DiscoverIT?

@ddemari wrote:

I really want the DiscoverIT card but my fico is too low around 655, has anyone been countered with the secured card with a score like that?

My current utilization is 2%, AAOA is 5 years, History 12 years, I have a bk that will fall off in November of this year and a collection from 2008. 

I also have 7 inquires on Equifax and 8 on TransUnion. In Illinois, it will either be a EQ or TU pull... I know too many inquires Smiley Sad 

u might get a discover unsecured just apply and see u dont have many inquires

Message 2 of 11
ddemari
Super Contributor

I am very tempted. I applied back in May and was declined. The reasons being Bankruptcy/ collection charge off. 

Since then, I was able to get my secured bank of america cash rewards card unsecured with a 3x credit limit increase to 3k. 

That may look attractive if I did a recon through manual review and my FICO Bankcard TU Score is 670 in the good range but myfico TU score 655 in the not good range. I am itching for the Discover card but dont want to lose the points of a hardpull and decline... I wish had some patience! Thanks for your reply. 

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ddemari wrote:

I am very tempted. I applied back in May and was declined. The reasons being Bankruptcy/ collection charge off. 

Since then, I was able to get my secured bank of america cash rewards card unsecured with a 3x credit limit increase to 3k. 

That may look attractive if I did a recon through manual review and my FICO Bankcard TU Score is 670 in the good range but myfico TU score 655 in the not good range. I am itching for the Discover card but dont want to lose the points of a hardpull and decline... I wish had some patience! Thanks for your reply. 

just try it i called discover and they are very nice they will offer u the secured if not

Message 4 of 11
ddemari
Super Contributor

Did you apply online and get the 7-10 day message and call them for a recon? If you do not mind me asking, what was your FICO score? 

Message 5 of 11
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

If it was me I would wait until November after bankruptcy falls off and try for the unsecured. Good Luck whatever you decide!

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got the discover student and yes they said 7-10 days verifed my scores are 630-670 no negatives they are low because of high balances 69% ult!!

Message 7 of 11
jim44
Established Contributor

Did you burn Discover in your BK?  I had three Discovers.. two from DFS prior to my BK.  All had perfect payment history, one had a zero balance, however I burned them on one card. Maybe you should wait until November when the BK falls off and try again.  Even with the CO, you still may be approved for a unsecured. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 11
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I got the discover student and yes they said 7-10 days verifed my scores are 630-670 no negatives they are low because of high balances 69% ult!!

Utilization you can control.. the baddies are already done. Get that utilization down and you might get approved when that happens. (For unsecured.) Smiley Wink

Message 9 of 11
ddemari
Super Contributor

I never burned Discover in the BK. My revoling utilization is 2% on EQ and 1% on TU and EX. 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.