Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approval odds for Chase Sapphire Reserve

tag
red259
Super Contributor

Re: Approval odds for Chase Sapphire Reserve

I don't know what the min credit line is on the CSR, but if it is a higher min credit line required then you could run into an issue since I don't see any cards with a higher CL in your profile. You certainly want at least a year of history on cards other than the AUs. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 11 of 24
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

If you don't want to pay $175 for Amex the CSR has a $450 annual fee. I would like to have CSR one day but I am in the garden for awhile and I am not sure I am ready for a card with a $450 annual fee yet.

Message 12 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@Aprile421 wrote:

If you don't want to pay $175 for Amex the CSR has a $450 annual fee. I would like to have CSR one day but I am in the garden for awhile and I am not sure I am ready for a card with a $450 annual fee yet.

+1 Maybe you did the math already and determined the AF is worth it for this card where the AF for the amex is not worth it. If a person is unaware of the AF on the CSR then they really need to reconsider why they are applying for the card since that is one of the first things people should know. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 13 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you both for your input. I'm also not very positive to be honest. But I do want this card very much. I thought about applying for another Chase card to start, but CSR really is the only card I want to have with Chase. I also like Amex's Platinum very much and I got the 10K offer. However, the $175 AF for AU has turned me down. My hubby and I would highly prefer to use the same credit card together and it's just two of us. I don't see any reasons to pay the $175 for just two of us.

I dont think Amex Platinum with 10k offer is good at all. You meant 100k offer? Amex Platinum actually has 450 annual fee with 200 airline credit. You plus an authorized user for him would be paying 450+175, not just 175 for two of you. 

CSR has annual fee of 450 with 300 "travel credit" (broader use than airline credit). You plus an authorized user for him would be paying 450+75 (75 is the authorized user fee for additional card).

@red259 wrote:

@Aprile421 wrote:

+1 Maybe you did the math already and determined the AF is worth it for this card where the AF for the amex is not worth it. If a person is unaware of the AF on the CSR then they really need to reconsider why they are applying for the card since that is one of the first things people should know. 

If OP really wants CSR, it's hard to really recommend anything for now without knowing details of her credit report. 

She could ask for removal of two authorized users accounts on credit reports and then app for CSR 1 month later to try it out. If not sucessful, then app for another chase card within the same business day to combine pull and to build more history with chase. If still not sucessful, make sure to request frequent CLI on CapOne and/or Citi cards if available. Then once reaching 5k credit limit, app for it again. She could also apply for a Chase checking account and/or saving account now and checking in-branch pre-approval every month down the road (see my prior post for my personal DP to bypass 5/24 rule).

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSR has a 10k minimum limit, just a heads up.
Message 15 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Thanks for everyone's reply. Sorry I was away for couple days and didn't see the messages until now. I am aware of the $450 AF for both cards and the different AF for authorized users between these two cards. I know that for Amex the $175 can be up to three AU, but we have a small family and it's just my hubby. So I don't think we'd like to pay the AF and that's the major reason that turns me down for Amex. For the open offer, sorry I meant to say 100K. I'm willing to pay the additional $75 for CSR. And that goes to my question here, whether I can get the card or not.  I actually live in D.C. area and as far as I know there's no Chase branch here. Last month I was in NYC for a weekend so that's when I tried to get the pre-approval feature in branch. FYI, I had a friend who went with us and he had more than 5/24 but got pre-approval and was approved for the card. 

Message 16 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know of a ton of cold appers personally for the card, i'd like your chances regardless but i'd do what one of the above posters said and have atleast one of the authorized user accounts removed. i was approved with a income on the lower end of your range and my scores around 700, i had a prequal though, i think i was at 6/24? hop on over to reddit and check the csr megathread

Message 17 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got the CSR and they do want to see that you can handle a high limit before they will give you the card.   The minimum is 10K

I was declined for that reason.  They told me that on the recon call.  "your highest credit limit on a card is 11K, but you only opened it in august.  We would like to see how you use that balance for about a year.  Re-apply next august..."

I had to write a letter to the executive office in order to get approved.  http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Long-Road-to-Chase-Sapphire-Reserve-Approval/t...

Message 18 of 24
negg
Frequent Contributor

I was approved yesterday.  See sig for other limits. 

Score 755

utl 3%

AAoA 5 years. 

11,900 limit.  Chase def has higher standards for this card. Boss has a judgment against her and she was denied even with income of 250,000+ and 180K in credit cards and not a single late payment in 6+ years. What got her was a $400 judgment from 2011.  That's been long paid off. 

CSR.........11,900.......Delta Amex $11,200.........Marriott Rewards Premier $8000.......Discover IT $9700......Citi Preferred $8600.......Chase Freedom $10,800.....Barclay(apple) $11,600......BofA $1500.......Capital One $7400......FNO $9800......Barclay(Hawaiian airlines)$11,000......Citi Costco $15,000. June 1st 2013 0 credit cards and 575 fico. Today 117K in credit and 812 fico and ZERO INQUIRIES......ZERO. 2018 goal. 825 fico.
Message 19 of 24
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Thanks for everyone's reply. Sorry I was away for couple days and didn't see the messages until now. I am aware of the $450 AF for both cards and the different AF for authorized users between these two cards. I know that for Amex the $175 can be up to three AU, but we have a small family and it's just my hubby. So I don't think we'd like to pay the AF and that's the major reason that turns me down for Amex. For the open offer, sorry I meant to say 100K. I'm willing to pay the additional $75 for CSR. And that goes to my question here, whether I can get the card or not.  I actually live in D.C. area and as far as I know there's no Chase branch here. Last month I was in NYC for a weekend so that's when I tried to get the pre-approval feature in branch. FYI, I had a friend who went with us and he had more than 5/24 but got pre-approval and was approved for the card. 

Can you tell us how those 5 cards show up on your credit report? You can sign up for a free account at Credit Karma and get free TU and EQ credit reports. 

If you can tell us what's the open dates of the accounts, this information will be helpful to decide whether or not removing yourself as authorized user from two of his accounts will help. Checking credit report also tells you if there's anything odd on your report that you are not aware of.

It's up to you... it seems that general concensus here is that you need higher credit limit here at least had some 10k experience. One poster had said that he/she wrote a letter to the EO and still got it approved. 

If you have an upcoming trip to a city with a Chase branch, you could then open a checking/saving account with coupon for better odds of getting in-branch pre-approvals.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.