Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approvals and Copies of Credit Report

tag
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

Approvals and Copies of Credit Report

I opened a Chase Freedom card right before Christmas and received my card in the mail yesterday. In all the paperwork from Chase, there's a notice essentially stating that you can ask for a free copy of your credit report within 30 days.

Does this mean that, if I ask, Chase will give me a copy of the report they pulled and the score?

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Approvals and Copies of Credit Report

Congrats on the approval !!

You can ask Chase to tell you your score, but they are only required to disclose this if you are declined.   Some creditors will tell you this, but others will not.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
john398
Senior Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:

You can ask Chase to tell you your score, but they are only required to disclose this if you are declined.   Some creditors will tell you this, but others will not.

I think they may also be required to tell you if you did not get the best intreast rate

Message 3 of 8
JustMe77
Frequent Contributor

@john398 wrote:

@pizzadude wrote:

I think they may also be required to tell you if you did not get the best intreast rate

Good to know, thanks. They gave me the highest rate the card advertised, so I'll ask.

Current Cards: Banana Republic Visa ($5,300), Chase Freedom ($2,000), Discover It ($11,500), Amex Costco True Earnings ($5,000), Chase Slate ($2,500)
Message 4 of 8
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

----->  I think they may also be required to tell you if you did not get the best intreast rate

Yes, thanks for clarifying, I think they must disclose this if you do not get approved or are offered terms that are less favorable than the offer for which you are applying.

But sometimes they will just tell you anyway, it never hurts to call and ask.....

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 8
learnin113
Established Contributor

@JustMe77 wrote:

I opened a Chase Freedom card right before Christmas and received my card in the mail yesterday. In all the paperwork from Chase, there's a notice essentially stating that you can ask for a free copy of your credit report within 30 days.

Does this mean that, if I ask, Chase will give me a copy of the report they pulled and the score?

Wow, I know u can get a copy from the CB if denied, but that's cool if Chase does provide a copy with score if approved. I still hate Chase, but that is definitely cool.

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Me and my wife both got Amex back to back in few months span and both of our approval letters stated the credit scores from EX. Also we both got our free copy from EX based on that tiny paragraph at the end of the approval letter.

Message 7 of 8
RyVision
Valued Contributor

In a legal technical sense, when you aren't approved for the best rate when you are approved for a card, it's considered a form of "denial" even though you were approved for the account.

If the best rate is 11.99% and they approve someone for a card at 12.09% (or whatever isn't the best etc), so that person was denied the best rate\terms for that account. That person is owed an explanation (their score, report and reasons behind not getting the best rate) according to the law if the person's report was used to make that decision (which of course it was).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.