cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex BC, can I close Amex gold?

tag
snoopycr

Approved for Amex BC, can I close Amex gold?

I was just approved for the Amex blue cash. Since amex back dates all accounts to the same date, should I close my Amex gold?  Its a charge card, so the CL is never reported. I'm won't be using the Amex gold, so is it wasting money to pay the $125 AF?

What are the negatives, other than not having a charge card on my CR? I'm basically replacing one Amex charge card with another Amex credit card.

Thanks

Discover Fico 737 | Experian Plus 734
Total CL from 8 cards: $43,400
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex BC, can I close Amex gold?

Backdating goes to the same year, rather than the same date, but that is minor.   No, this is really no different from any other case where someone has a card with an annual fee that they no longer have a use for.  In this case, the AF is quite large!

So the major drawback is losing a charge card, but only you can know whether that is worth anything like $125 per year to you (and since you are considering closing, I would guess not).  

The other thing is if you have built up MR points.  Closing the card will cause them to be lost, if you don't have another MR card.  So either spend them down, or, come April 2, apply for the new Everyday, and once you get that, close the Gold.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.