Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Gold Card, But..

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Approved for Amex Gold Card, But..

I received a pre-approval for an Amex Gold Card in the mail last week and decided to accept.  I was instantly approved which is great!  On Friday I get an alert that I have a new CA reporting to all 3 CRA's from a CC i had about 7 years ago.  The OC still shows up on my reports with a DOFD of 5/2005.  Never received any info from this CA, it just showed up and TU shows it falls off 6/2012.  

Has anyone else been approved for an Amex and then a new CA shows up?  All my current accounts they based the approval on are in excellent standing, but I know this dropped my scores.  If anyone has experience with Amex let me know!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Approved for Amex Gold Card, But..

Congrats on the Approval !!

It seems strange but I would guess that it just a coincidence ~ your new AMEX card won't be reporting to your CR for a month or two, maybe more....

I know that many times mortgage inquiries will trigger CAs to pop up....but I've never heard of a CC inquiry doing that.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it was complete coincidence.  I guess to clarify, I'm wondering if Amex takes any AA from this?  We all know how picky they can be!

Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I received a pre-approval for an Amex Gold Card in the mail last week and decided to accept.  I was instantly approved which is great!  On Friday I get an alert that I have a new CA reporting to all 3 CRA's from a CC i had about 7 years ago.  The OC still shows up on my reports with a DOFD of 5/2005.  Never received any info from this CA, it just showed up and TU shows it falls off 6/2012.  

Has anyone else been approved for an Amex and then a new CA shows up?  All my current accounts they based the approval on are in excellent standing, but I know this dropped my scores.  If anyone has experience with Amex let me know!

It's possible AMEX could do AA to your account, I would lay low and try to negotiate a PFD with this CA.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

AmEx is said to soft CRs for a while when you are new to them, but your collection account is fairly old, they may not care much.

As for reporting, time does vary from person to person, but I was approved for Green on 12/18, first statement cut 1/3, and I had them on EX by 1/7. You may see them on your CR that soon or it could be 2 months as some have said.

Congrats on your card!
Message 5 of 17
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

AMEX likes to keep a close eye on their cardholders.  They will soft your reports a LOT. 

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I know they soft a lot for new cardholdrers, but that's not my concern. This is a new CA that wasn't on my credit reports when approved. It's there now. The crazy thing is that the new collection will fall off in 6 months! Will this new CA prompt Amex to close the acct?
Message 7 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

I'd say no, it's too close to dropping off. I wouldn't worry about and just take care of the AmEx account. If it'd make you fell better, you can try PFD and try to get it out of there sooner. This close to drop-off date and more than likely out of SOL, the CA would be a fool to decline.
Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Amex doesn't view it as a new CA? It just posted, but does show DOFD as 2005.
Message 9 of 17
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

It'd probably depend on if a human or computer is reviewing the soft. A human might take into consideration its age and weigh it accordingly. A computer may view it different, but then kick it back to a human for further review anyway. Again, all speculation on my part, but that's probably what I'd feel.

Maybe others might chime in soon.
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.