Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Amex Platinum (Upgrade)

tag
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

Approved for Amex Platinum (Upgrade)

Hey Guys,

I figured I would share an interesting story.

I currently have the Amex green card. About a month or so ago, I called Amex and told them I wanted to upgrade to the Platinum card. I know, the annual fee is hefty but this is the card I want. The rep said it was approved and that I would receive the new card in about 7-10 business days. I called Amex back the next day to confirm and they said they had nothing on file about an upgrade to the Platnium card!! So, I applied again. This time I got a denial letter in the mail, which said my utilization was too high, which it definitely was at the time. Another interesting factor that was stated in the letter was "unsatisfactory payment history with Amex." I was NEVER late with Amex so I called the # on the letter and spoke to the rep. After reviewing my history, she agreed with me that I have an excellent payment history. She said she removed that reason from the denial.

Since my accounts have just updated and my utilization is much lower (29%) I decided to apply for the upgrade online. Instant approval. Let's see if I get the card this time!!

Uncle Money

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
ngerasimatos
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Amex Platinum (Upgrade)

Did they make any hard pulls or only soft?

Try not to become a man of success but rather to become a man of value
Albert Einstein 1879 - 1955

800+ Club
Message 2 of 8
Uncle_Money
Established Contributor

As far as I can tell, Amex doesn't hard pull on product upgrades.

UM

Personal: American Express Platinum - NPSL | American Express Blue Cash Preferred - $15,000 | Chase Sapphire Reserve - $38,500 | Chase Amazon Prime Visa - $7,200 | Chase Freedom - $500 | Barclaycard Arrival+ - $18,600 | PenFed Platinum Rewards - $25,000 | PenFed LOC - $10,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union Platinum Visa - $25,000 | Navy Federal Credit Union LOC - $10,000 | Citi Double Cash - $12,170 | Citizens Cash Back+ - $8,650 | Citizens LOC Overdraft - $8,000 | Discover - $10,000 | Capital One Quicksilver One - $3,600 | Capital One Platinum - $750 | Valero - $600 | Dell - $3,000 | Lowes Advantage - $30,000 | Macys Amex - $25,000 | The Home Depot - $7,500 | Tourneau - $15,000
Business: American Express Business Platinum Card - NPSL | American Express Plum Card - NPSL | American Express SimplyCash Plus - $10,000 | American Express Gold Card - NPSL | Bank of America Cash Rewards - $100,000 | Capital One Spark Business - $54,000 | Chase Business Preferred - $34,000 | Chase Business Ink - $15,000 | PNC Bank Cash Rewards Visa Signature - $19,000 | PNC LOC $100,000 | BP Business Solutions - $1,500 | KeyBank Mastercard - $6,000 | Staples More Account - $3,500

Message 3 of 8
blacklotus
Regular Contributor

I'm not trying to plug or spam anyone or anything or product but on YouTube there are some homemade video clips of people that filmed when their Amex Platinum Card arrived in the mail- including the unboxing and all the various docs and other stuff that $450 buys you... LOL I can imagine the expression on people's faces when you whip that thing out at Wal-Mart or McDonald's... IMHO

TU Fico 736 EQ Fico 730 (December 2012)
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey, if you can make the $450 fee work for you, then go for it. I primarily fly UNITED which doesn't have lounges covered under the Platinum card. Actually, I'm allergic to all credit card fees........Smiley Very Happy. I do have an AMEX BLUE CASH card which returns several hundred dollars to me yearly. I just don't see any value added in paying a fee for a card.........

Message 5 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey UM, congrats on your upgrade.

I was curious what specific perks you will best benefit from on the Platinum?  Or if this was just "the card I want" situation?

I have the Gold Rewards Plus Card, which I sometimes wonder about paying that fee...but I sure do like Amex CS.  Have had my card replaced twice, once for loss, once for fraud, and they overnight the card to you....so I had it in less than 24 hours each time.

But, I have actually considered downgrading to the Zync now that it is out.  Going green isn't worth it since they chare $95 AF on it now.

I don't fly much these days...so the extra airline points don't really do me any good.

Anyway, was just curious.

txjohn

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I’ve had the Platinum for about a year.  I only got this card for the airport lounge access.  I like the fact that you get access to American, Delta, and Continental lounges all for the price of $450.  If you were to buy all 3 memberships individually from the airline itself it’d cost you $1,500 (they’re about $500 each)

If you travel frequently I recommend asking your employer if you can get approved for a $500 annual airport lounge pass.  If they don’t purchase first class, try persuading the company on the airport lounges perk.  If approved tell them you get a 3 for 1 deal on the AMEX Platinum.

In addition to the airport lounges, you get automatic gold status on Starwood preferred guest, gold status on Hertz car rental ($60 value), executive status with National car rental.  You can see all the benefits at americanexpress.com/platinum    There are two tabs, featured benefits, and see all benefits, you’ll get the gist

If I didn’t travel frequently I wouldn’t have this card, it’s all about the airport lounge access!

The one thing I really dislike is the membership rewards points you earn can’t be transferred to American AAdvantage Miles, so that part really stinks.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey UM, congrats on your upgrade.

I was curious what specific perks you will best benefit from on the Platinum?  Or if this was just "the card I want" situation?

I have the Gold Rewards Plus Card, which I sometimes wonder about paying that fee...but I sure do like Amex CS.  Have had my card replaced twice, once for loss, once for fraud, and they overnight the card to you....so I had it in less than 24 hours each time.

But, I have actually considered downgrading to the Zync now that it is out.  Going green isn't worth it since they chare $95 AF on it now.

I don't fly much these days...so the extra airline points don't really do me any good.

Anyway, was just curious.

txjohn

Have the Platinum card now, the Af is due any month now and I'm thinking the same exact things!

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.