cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Discover IT (yay!) Low initial CL?

tag
vn25
Valued Member

Approved for Discover IT (yay!) Low initial CL?

So I'm moving and could use the 14 Mo 0% APR, so I decided to leave the garden (1.5 years "sober"!) and app'd for Discover It....

They approved me, but gave me a CL of 4000 making it my second lowest CL (second to my freedom card which was my first card I got in college, and CL hasn't really gone up since then...). My other CLs are over 2x this (4 other cards, 2 are mine 2 I'm an AU).... For some reason I thought Discover was generous with their CLs!

Anyway I know there's a recon backdoor number available for Discover...does anybody know if its worth (and has anybody tried and succeeded) calling there and asking for a higher initial credit limit?

Also while on the subject, what's discover's policy with CLIs? I keep seeing something about a 'love' button on here, what's that all about?

Thanks! (and back on the wagon/in the garden I go...)

Also while I'm at it: I know some people go on sprees where they app for a bunch of cards and CLIs....Does doing a bunch of apps in one shot reduce the impact on my credit score or something? Should I go ask for CLIs now?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
-Wade-
Valued Contributor

Re: Approved for Discover IT (yay!) Low initial CL?

@vn25 wrote:

So I'm moving and could use the 14 Mo 0% APR, so I decided to leave the garden (1.5 years "sober"!) and app'd for Discover It....

They approved me, but gave me a CL of 4000 making it my second lowest CL (second to my freedom card which was my first card I got in college, and CL hasn't really gone up since then...). My other CLs are over 2x this (4 other cards, 2 are mine 2 I'm an AU).... For some reason I thought Discover was generous with their CLs!

Anyway I know there's a recon backdoor number available for Discover...does anybody know if its worth (and has anybody tried and succeeded) calling there and asking for a higher initial credit limit?

Also while on the subject, what's discover's policy with CLIs? I keep seeing something about a 'love' button on here, what's that all about?

Thanks! (and back on the wagon/in the garden I go...)

Also while I'm at it: I know some people go on sprees where they app for a bunch of cards and CLIs....Does doing a bunch of apps in one shot reduce the impact on my credit score or something? Should I go ask for CLIs now?

Congrats on your approval Smiley Happy It will grow with you. You have to wait 90 days if you request it ,but they may auto your CL. Good luck

"Garden Club Member " Old user name newportguy*** Current Score: myFico EQ - 830 (07/16/2015) Discover TU Fico - 833 (09/03/2016) EX Fico - 839 ( 09/01/2016 ) ******* Amex - BCP 11.5K * Discover - IT 43.5 K * U.S. Bank Cash + Visa Signature 15.3 K * PenFed - Cash Rewards 15K *PenFed Power Cash 19K ** Amex - GDSM 10K ******FICO 800 Club Member ******* EQ 830 *** TU 833 *** EX 839 ***
****** Last HP & New TL was March 6th 2014 *** GOAL: No HP's or New TL's for 2 + years and 840's Scores ******
Message 2 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your Discover card. With some time the card with grow with you. Just be patient.  Discover started me with 2,5K  when my other cards were 10K+ and it took 15 months to get my first CLI but then all the sudden it moved up quickly.  Nice part it will grow with SP if you are patient enough.

Message 3 of 15
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

I started with 4k this january , i tried to recon they said no , we would like to see how you use etc.After 90 days they gave 800 auto cli and then again after 6th statement. Now i am at 8100$. Congrats on your approval!

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 4 of 15
vn25
Valued Member

If you don't mind me asking you guys, what kind of usage patterns do you guys have with this card to get these CLIs?

And they auto CLI each time or you have to request it?
Message 5 of 15
CreditPlay
Frequent Contributor

@vn25 wrote:
If you don't mind me asking you guys, what kind of usage patterns do you guys have with this card to get these CLIs?

Around 1k sometimes little more like 1.2k. They gave auto cli after 3rd and 6th , same 800$. Last month after auto cli i found the phone option got activated and i tried and bam  it was 8.1 k next day. Smiley Happy

FICO08 12/2014EQ 777TU 799EX 767

Message 6 of 15
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@vn25 wrote:

For me it never was auto-luv. I had to request it.  During the first 15 months my util was 70-90% but no success on CLIs.  Then I cut back the use for the 5% categories and ShopDiscover only with average util of 20-30% of the 2,5K limit and then all the sudden CLI to 5K approved. 3 months later played the luv button again and util was never over 10- 20% and CLI to 7,5K approved.  Discover is weird but with the CL now I am fully happy.  On the two year mark I will play the luv botton again to try to get an even 10K CL and then I will not touch it again. But if it does not work I can perfectly live with it.

Message 7 of 15
TheFate
Established Contributor

I dont think thats weird at all. Using 70-80% of your cards UTI is red flags for lenders even if you are PIF each month. They would much rather see you use no more than 30%. Thats why when you changed your spending pattern they rewarded you.

Message 8 of 15
9CLINE
Valued Contributor

Congrats on Discover approval and welcome to the Family... Like others have said it will grow with ya.

Wait the 90 days then for me it's been every 90 days like clock work and for me the phone option tends to do better too

Good Luck

Message 9 of 15
newhis
Valued Contributor

@TheFate wrote:

I dont think thats weird at all. Using 70-80% of your cards UTI is red flags for lenders even if you are PIF each month. They would much rather see you use no more than 30%. Thats why when you changed your spending pattern they rewarded you.

Problem is when your card is only 500 or 1000. I had to fix my car and the total was 1024, so I had to split that but put my cards around 70-90%. I try to not use that much but sometimes there is no other way.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.