cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Discover More! Collection is complete!

tag
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Approved for Discover More! Collection is complete!

So I've been really wanting to get this card for a while. Discover kept denying me over and over. I stepped out of the garden two days ago to app for this one card.

What a surprise... Instant DENIAL. 

Reasons were the typical Discover ones .. High loan balances ( I have student loans that are deferred!!!!) .. Not enough established history...  

So I called the next day and requested to talk to a manager (called the recon number). I was told all the manager were in a meeting and someone would call me back within 24 hours. Two hours later, I got a call from a manager.

She explained the reasons to me once again!  She basically wanted to see more current history .. so I kept explaining to her that I have a perfect two year loan that's been paid off completely just last month ... the key thing was when she asked me if I'm still a student .. I said YES (she asked me where) .. she put me on hold and came back with an approval. 

The limit is so low ( $500) .. but she said the card will grow with me .. they will do automatic CLI ...

Back to garden now ..

Just wanted to share my story with you Smiley Happy

Current Cards:
Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
kobe2012
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for Discover More! Collection is complete!

congratz!!!! i want this card too... what was your score and how many inquiries do you have??

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 2 of 10
LS2982
Mega Contributor

CONGRATS!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 10
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

Thanks ... 

I think my score is in the mid 600's range .. Not sure what's the score exactly. I've been getting different scores from different creditors.. !

@kobe2012 wrote:

congratz!!!! i want this card too... what was your score and how many inquiries do you have??

Current Cards:
Message 4 of 10
kobe2012
Established Contributor

oh ok... any baddies? inquiries???... sorry, so many questions...

Starting Score: MYFICO 12/30/15 -TU: 481, EQ:561, EX:532 - BK7 DISCHARGED 12/2015 - Current: 09/01/2016 TU:642 EQ: 651 EX: 646
NFCU cashRewards:$6200 QS:$1500 Merrick:$1200 Cabelas:$1000 SonyVisa: $500 JCrew:$850 Overstock:$850 Express: $1050 PaypalCredit:$2150 NAVCHECK:$10K
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yaaay and congrats!  I have high student loan balances that are also deferred as well since I'm still in school and not enough established credit history but they didn't give me an instant denial either.  I just called in and was approved.  It's weird how they're picky when it's a student card and you have student loans.

Message 6 of 10
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

When I applied in May, I was denied for the same reasons I mentioned above. But when I called they looked closely at my report. There was a major delinquency.. 3 90 days .. 3 60 days .. 3 30 days .. late! Those were all removed by the creditor when I closed the loan with them as an action of good will!

Other than that .. no baddies Smiley Happy

@kobe2012 wrote:

oh ok... any baddies? inquiries???... sorry, so many questions...

Current Cards:
Message 7 of 10
CreditPacMan
Established Contributor

They said the loans will not be deferred when I graduate!! 

How much did they approve you for?

@Anonymous wrote:

Yaaay and congrats!  I have high student loan balances that are also deferred as well since I'm still in school and not enough established credit history but they didn't give me an instant denial either.  I just called in and was approved.  It's weird how they're picky when it's a student card and you have student loans.

Current Cards:
Message 8 of 10
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

Nice approval, Congrats!!

Weird thing is though that once I heard from a CSR that the minimum credit limit with Discover was $1000.

Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was approved for $1000.

After you graduate from school, if you don't plan on going to grad school, you have a 6 month grace period before you have to pay back the loans.  If you enter into a situation such as unemployment, go to grad school, can't find a full-time job, enter into a rehab program for a disability, or economic hardship you will be able to defer your student loans.  The big thing is to get a hold of the loan lender.  

Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.