cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for Motiva=approval for Amex BCE?

tag
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Approved for Motiva=approval for Amex BCE?

So I got the Motiva with a $4k limit literally in the past hour...
The only card that would complete my credit history is the Amex BCE.

I am wondering if this recent approval with Discover is indicative of an approval with Amex.. I don't want the Zync as I have plenty of revolving history currently.

Have 13% util.. Only high bal on one card (5100/6500) - soon to pay off.

In six months, only 1-3 inqs per report.
Fico is like 670-705, I think.

Im just wanting to know if I should strike while the iron is hott as I know how fond of app sprees we all are on here. I'm literally looking at spending the next year in the garden with or without app'ing for this account, meaning if I do app and get approved/denied... Will stilll go back into the garden...
Hmm
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 1 of 49
48 REPLIES 48
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Re: Approved for Motiva=approval for Amex BCE?

Amex revolvers are a whole nother beast.  Much stricter than every1 else.  Your scores don't seem to be high enough but your uti is just about right although not sure how they would look at your 1 maxed out card.  I would be more inclined to wait till you get your scores at least in the 720's at least. 

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 2 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So I got the Motiva with a $4k limit literally in the past hour...
The only card that would complete my credit history is the Amex BCE.

I am wondering if this recent approval with Discover is indicative of an approval with Amex.. I don't want the Zync as I have plenty of revolving history currently.

Have 13% util.. Only high bal on one card (5100/6500) - soon to pay off.

In six months, only 1-3 inqs per report.
Fico is like 670-705, I think.

Im just wanting to know if I should strike while the iron is hott as I know how fond of app sprees we all are on here. I'm literally looking at spending the next year in the garden with or without app'ing for this account, meaning if I do app and get approved/denied... Will stilll go back into the garden...
Hmm

You may have luck with AMEX.  There is never a guarantee, though your info from here and your other recent thread (yes, I read it lol) would indicate to me your chances are better than 70% (don't ask how I come up with that, it would be a thesis).

As you may know, AMEX is going to check EX first (and your EX Plus score is decent so I'm guessing your file is clean, if I'm wrong on that and it's not, do not attempt), you may have fewer INQs there than you think (don't know as every area\location and lender is different etc).

You have a CL of 6500 in good standing from the looks of it, that usually is a good sign to AMEX as well as your lower UTIL of 13% (however, that card is reporting just under it's 80% CL, so that could be a problem).   I don't know your entire file, I'm just going by what I've read you've mentioned on these 2 threads.

My prediction if you apply for BCE, lowish limit and after the 61 day AMEX wait time for a CLI and that 6500 account paid down, you'd probably get close to the 3x increase on your AMEX.  Now may be the time to try for AMEX simply because if declined, you could app with them again after 3 months (90 days), being it's near the end of the year, it may give you time to lock in your member since date at 2012.  (Which might mean applying on December 31st if this attempt were to fail).

P.S.. Congrats on the Motiva as well as having the wisdom to pass on applying for the BOA AMEX. (you always want a "true" AMEX for your first if possible). Also, welcome to MyFico Forums (I keep forgetting to tell newer members that LOL).

[EDIT]:  I have to say, usually AMEX is a bit of a "beast" lol.  Though, I got my Zync, and later my Blue with much higher UTIL than you and around the EX Plus score (704 for mine) that you mention.  I did have AMEX before however as well as a very thick and spotless file, income also plays a part.  AMEX internal came up with an EX of (don't faint) 640 for me if I remember right.  (Much lower than I ever would have thought they'd approve).

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 3 of 49
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ohhhhtayy :-(. I'll check online too and see where recent approvals have been. I've just always wanted this card, along with my newly acquired Motiva!
Im about to pay about $1,500 against my Trav Amex too

Thanks for the input.

Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 4 of 49
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Thanks Ryvision!! That makes a lot of sense; I know Discover and Amex are both hard to get. I only have one pd co fraud acct fro
07-08 on all reports. They are all clean atm, but only one has my recent Lowe's cli to $12,000 reported (TU). I watch my reports like a hawk btw! Hahahah!

I honestly wouldn't mind getting a $2,000 or even just a $1,000 limit ($500 from Amex BCE might be a slap in the face though).

And as far as having high limits in good standing... I have like $65k + of unused credit (store + visa, mc, amex, disc). My avg limit is like $6k I'd say.

Unfortunately, I also know my student loans will report and lower my aa soon.

Is there any diff to applying for the Amex BCE right now on my phone vs. Waiting til during business hours over the phone????

Hmmmm!!
Message 5 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Ohhhhtayy :-(. I'll check online too and see where recent approvals have been. I've just always wanted this card, along with my newly acquired Motiva!
Im about to pay about $1,500 against my Trav Amex too

Thanks for the input.

Wait a sec, you already have an AMEX partner product??  Have you checked AMEX's offer site?  https://www304.americanexpress.com/credit-card/28000?linknav=us-CCSG-ProspectNav-SpecialOffers#!view...

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 6 of 49
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Well it's the Barclay's Travelocity Amex....
Message 7 of 49
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Ry- is that a soft or hard pull. Just checked and the site doesn't say....
Message 8 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Thanks Ryvision!! That makes a lot of sense; I know Discover and Amex are both hard to get. I only have one pd co fraud acct fro
07-08 on all reports. They are all clean atm, but only one has my recent Lowe's cli to $12,000 reported (TU). I watch my reports like a hawk btw! Hahahah!

I honestly wouldn't mind getting a $2,000 or even just a $1,000 limit ($500 from Amex BCE might be a slap in the face though).

And as far as having high limits in good standing... I have like $65k + of unused credit (store + visa, mc, amex, disc). My avg limit is like $6k I'd say.

Unfortunately, I also know my student loans will report and lower my aa soon.

Is there any diff to applying for the Amex BCE right now on my phone vs. Waiting til during business hours over the phone????

Hmmmm!!

You may want to try for your BCE before the above reports\happens........   Personally I liked apping over the phone better myself (denied once online for Blue, approved months later with similar  stats over the phone).  You might want to call during biz hours to apply, check the link I posted (not that it means a lot but if you have a partner product, you might be on their radar in a good way).

(Dare I say I have friends that worked for AMEX but "above" the "areas" we're talking about here)........

Let us know what you decide (it is your choice to make) and any outcome etc  Smiley Happy

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 9 of 49
RyVision
Valued Contributor

Ry- is that a soft or hard pull. Just checked and the site doesn't say....

Being it's partner card and not a "True" AMEX issued AMEX, I'm afraid it's a hard most likely (98% sure of that),  usually just on EX btw.

AKA 840flippedto480
Message 10 of 49
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.