Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved for a trap?

tag
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Approved for a trap?

@Anonymous wrote:

Laptop broke and have been sharing my girl friends laptop since july for school. I decided to apply for Barclays Apple Card and got approved for $2.5k, then reconned right after for $4k. I took advantage of Apple's 24 month, 0 % financing. I've been hearing that Barclays is famous for Credit Limit Decreasing, so i'm wondering what I should do?

1) Pay off the card then cancel?

2) How do I prevent from being Credit limit decreasing?

3) Will I be decreased? (Ive been approved for Chase Freedom Unlimited, AMEX Plat Charge, Amex Plat Delta all in the same month)

Rule number 1; do not try to pre-anticipate AA. Even from Barclays 

Rule number 2; even if ( if ) they CLD, you will still have the zero pct financing, still borrowed in those terms, so just pay it off during the term to avoid accrued interest. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 11 of 20
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@HeavenOhio wrote:

It doesn't make sense. We've seen reports here of balance transfers being paid both too slowly and too quickly. I don't understand too quickly except possibly to raise the question of why the BT was done in the first place.

In the case of a deferred interest transaction, the only thing I'd worry about is paying enough to demonstrate that you intend to pay off the purchase. Dividing the total purchase into equal installments would accomplish that. I'd submit that if you wanted to pay faster, that's fine too.

And Barclays just might be hyper-sensitive to that.

Several times I have tansferred a balance from Capital One to FNBO (via a $0 transfer fee offer), and then a month later transfer the balance back to Capital One via a 0% offer, and they (nor FNBO) have never batted an eye.  Although I do usually leave a token amount on FNBO and pay it down over a month or two at the 3.9% interest.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Current FICO 8 Scores: EQ: 828| TU: 805 | EX: 814

Message 12 of 20
marty56
Super Contributor

No issues with them.  They were generous with Auto CLIs.  I don't use it much but PIF.  They sometimes offer 0% on new Apple puchases so down the line you may be able to upgrade your PC/Laptop.  You can beat them if you PIF before the 0% expiries.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 13 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the BARCLAYS Apple for Apple products only?
Message 14 of 20
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

You can use it wherever Visa is accepted, but the special financing offer is only for purchases made at the Apple store or the Apple website.

Message 15 of 20
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Why would that be??? They make their $$$ on the BT fee, the longer you take to pay the BT the longer they don't make any money on the 0% interest. 

Well, it's feasible that they MIGHT make money on bundling credit 'assets' to investors and include a pool of 0% BT that are more likely to not pay off in time.  Investors might be willing to buy up a nice collateral class of debts where they miss out on 12 months of interest with an expectation of the person getting defrayed interest accruing when they don't PIF in time...

ABS (Asset-Backed Securities) frequently involve credit card debts, not mortgages.  

Pardon my resurrecting an old post there but wouldn't Barclays and investors have some idea of the percentage of cardholders who PIF before incurring the deferred interest and the proportion that do not? Granted it's an estimate calculated from many factors but I would hope that it's not too wildly off base. I would imagine that the promised yields on ABS where such accounts are pooled would be calculated based on that estimate. In that case then whether or not Barclays takes AA for paying down balances too quickly is really not about whether a cardholder is paying down too quicking but rather what proportion of borrowers are doing so. As such your individual actions really have little to no effect on the outcome but rather it's basically luck of the draw as to the behavior of the overall pool of cardholders in that particular tranche of ABS that your account was bundled in. So the logical thing would be to just pay it down however you planned to and leave the rest to fate. 

Message 16 of 20
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Is the BARCLAYS Apple for Apple products only?

Along with being accepted anywhere Visa is accepted, you also get a 2% restaurant reward in addition to the 3% Apple reward. All other purchases are rewarded at 1%. As mentioned, only purchases from Apple are eligible for deferred-interest financing.

Message 17 of 20
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

@SBR249 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

Why would that be??? They make their $$$ on the BT fee, the longer you take to pay the BT the longer they don't make any money on the 0% interest. 

Well, it's feasible that they MIGHT make money on bundling credit 'assets' to investors and include a pool of 0% BT that are more likely to not pay off in time.  Investors might be willing to buy up a nice collateral class of debts where they miss out on 12 months of interest with an expectation of the person getting defrayed interest accruing when they don't PIF in time...

ABS (Asset-Backed Securities) frequently involve credit card debts, not mortgages.  

Pardon my resurrecting an old post there but wouldn't Barclays and investors have some idea of the percentage of cardholders who PIF before incurring the deferred interest and the proportion that do not? Granted it's an estimate calculated from many factors but I would hope that it's not too wildly off base. I would imagine that the promised yields on ABS where such accounts are pooled would be calculated based on that estimate. In that case then whether or not Barclays takes AA for paying down balances too quickly is really not about whether a cardholder is paying down too quicking but rather what proportion of borrowers are doing so. As such your individual actions really have little to no effect on the outcome but rather it's basically luck of the draw as to the behavior of the overall pool of cardholders in that particular tranche of ABS that your account was bundled in. So the logical thing would be to just pay it down however you planned to and leave the rest to fate. 

I assume its some sort of algorithm that makes the 0% offers to those they feel will generate more profit via a BT than via regular use.

In my case, when I was using the card regulary, I never got any BT offers.  Once I stopped using it and let it set idle for 6 months, I suddenly got a 12 month 0% offer.   They made more in the BT fee than they made in the previous 12 months of regular activity, so it was a net positive for them, even though I rode at 0% for 11 months.

NFCU MR: $25K | Venture: $21K | Amex ED: $18K | NFCU CR: $18K | Amex BCE: $15K | IT #1: $17.5K | PNC Core: $15K | PPMC:  $12K | Wells Fargo: $11K | Savor: 12K | Cap1 QS: $8.5K | Barclays Rewards: $7.75K | IT #2: $7.3K | MLife: $9.5K | Sportsman's Guide: $8.7K | PenFed PR: $5.5K | Elan Plat: $2.3K | TRV: $3.6K | BotW: $3K

Message 18 of 20
SBR249
Established Contributor

@Dalmus wrote:

@SBR249 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@DaveInAZ wrote:

I assume its some sort of algorithm that makes the 0% offers to those they feel will generate more profit via a BT than via regular use.

In my case, when I was using the card regulary, I never got any BT offers.  Once I stopped using it and let it set idle for 6 months, I suddenly got a 12 month 0% offer.   They made more in the BT fee than they made in the previous 12 months of regular activity, so it was a net positive for them, even though I rode at 0% for 11 months.

No doubt many decisions including this are algorithmically generated or vetted. But my point is that there might not be any hard and fast rules that makes these AA decisions based on individual profiles or actions. But rather these decisions (and the algorithms behind them) may be triggered by externalities beyond the control of individual borrowers such as the behavior of the other borrowers in that particular ABS tranche. In that case it would be pointless to believe that anything you do will have much effect and therefore borrowers really shouldn't worry about whether paying their balances down too quickly will result in AA. 

Message 19 of 20
Dalmus
Valued Contributor

For the record, when I first got my Barclay Rewards card years ago, it was before I became a member of this forum and saw how "sensitive" they were.  I believe I opened up another 3 accounts that same month and two the following month, and I never had an AA from them.  I also have carried high balances for several months, made large payments to PIF, had $0 balances for several months, done BT's, etc etc and have yet to get an AA from them (in fact, they auto CLI'd me a few months ago).

So, I totally agree that while there may be some trends that appear to be true when reading the forums here, I think they really do look deeper into a profile, and your history along with the history of others in your particular bucket are all taken into account on whether you're likely or not to be profitable for them.

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.