cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approved or Discover & Chase.. Happy Days.. Questions with CL??

tag
remarc
Regular Contributor

Approved or Discover & Chase.. Happy Days.. Questions with CL??

Hey Everyone.. 

Some exciting news ,, well I think so Smiley Happy

I got approved for a Discover Card & Chase Card, My discover is $1000 & Chase is $1500 .. No one seems to want to give me more than $1500 on my Credit limit.. Any ideas why? My yearly income is $38400 , it could be because I only have 4 years worth of credit history? IM new to this country.. Originally from the UK. i dont have any maxed out cards and hold a balance on my bestbuy store card - limit $1300 current balance $800

My Fico credit scores are as follow. 

EQ - 711

EX- 717

Trans - 680

Can't seem to get my Trans score up.. any ideas?

also

Ive had a citi card with $1500 CL for about 5 months now. I Use about $500 a month on it and always pay it of to a 0 balance.. what are the odds they will bump up my CL when I call on the 6 month mark? I got the citi card when I was in the mid 600's on my scores??

Also I use my other two cards all for different points etc and always pay them off each month so they are left with a 0 balance. this helps right? 

do you think it matters how much money i use on the cards and then pay them off each month? im hoping that because ive been spending around $600 a month on my citi card that they will see i use it and always have a 0 balance by statement day.. thus bumping my credit limit up?

any adivce?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

Re: Approved or Discover & Chase.. Happy Days

Can't give you any advice or insight, but congrats!

Have you tried recon'ing for higher limits?  I got the DM with $1000 starting, I've seen some people recommend trying to do a BT when you app for a higher limit, but I didn't - might try after getting the card though.  I also got $3k on a Chase card, but it was the Southwest card - so they may be more lenient with limits.

The only thing that I have going for me as compared to what you said is that I've got lower Util and a longer history, but I have far more derogs than you do - so I don't know of anything it could be other than maybe a thin/young file holding you back.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 2 of 19
xlr8d
Frequent Contributor

Congrats!  Discover is just stingy with CL's though Smiley Tongue

Starting Score: EQ 515 TU 490 EXfaco 510
Current Score: EQ 660 TU 665 EXplus 661
Goal Score: 700

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 19
remarc
Regular Contributor

I got the Chase in March.. do you think i could call and ask them for a CL so i could do a BT from my BestBuy Card ? I dont want to max out my card with Chase but they did give me 16% APR and 12 Months O % including balance transfers. If so, how much should i ask for? Would be great to clear of my BB Credit Card 

What number should i call btw?

Message 4 of 19
modernsurrender
Established Contributor

I just got my SW Chase card this month and was thrilled with the limit so I can't say what your chances would be...

If you call them about a BT they might be helpful but if your CL is $1500 and the BT is for $800 - they may also think that's plenty of extra wiggle room already.  I don't think it could hurt to call and try though, either with the number on your card or one of the numbers listed in the "backdoor" thread that's stickied.

Start 2/2008: TU 495 || EX 539 || EQ 528
Now 5/2013: TU 716 || EX ??? || EQ 702

Slate: $5000 Simplicity: $5000 David's Bridal: $3500 SW Chase: $3000 FNBO: $3000 Barclay NFL: $2500 BofA: $2400 Discover IT: $1700 Walmart: $1500 Victoria's Secret: $1000 Cap1: $750 Amex Zync: NPSL
(2 derogs to go until I'm squeaky clean in 2014!)
Message 5 of 19
Jake0215
Frequent Contributor

@remarc wrote:

Hey Everyone.. 

Some exciting news ,, well I think so Smiley Happy

I got approved for a Discover Card & Chase Card, My discover is $1000 & Chase is $1500 .. No one seems to want to give me more than $1500 on my Credit limit.. Any ideas why? My yearly income is $38400 , it could be because I only have 4 years worth of credit history? IM new to this country.. Originally from the UK. i dont have any maxed out cards and hold a balance on my bestbuy store card - limit $1300 current balance $800

My Fico credit scores are as follow. 

EQ - 711

EX- 717

Trans - 680

Can't seem to get my Trans score up.. any ideas?

also

Ive had a citi card with $1500 CL for about 5 months now. I Use about $500 a month on it and always pay it of to a 0 balance.. what are the odds they will bump up my CL when I call on the 6 month mark? I got the citi card when I was in the mid 600's on my scores??

Also I use my other two cards all for different points etc and always pay them off each month so they are left with a 0 balance. this helps right? 

do you think it matters how much money i use on the cards and then pay them off each month? im hoping that because ive been spending around $600 a month on my citi card that they will see i use it and always have a 0 balance by statement day.. thus bumping my credit limit up?

any adivce?

Mayne try applying for a card with a required starting limit. May be a good way( if everything else supports it.) to get to that 5k threshold.

Starting Score: 617 EQ 10-17-11
Current Score: EQ 767 TU 769 EX 749 (all FICO but who really knows?)
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 19
remarc
Regular Contributor

Mayne try applying for a card with a required starting limit. May be a good way( if everything else supports it.) to get to that 5k threshold.

what do you mean ?? can you explain a litle more please mate 

Message 7 of 19
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Higher CLI's can be tough.  It seems everyone is shy to be at the head of the class.  Typically credit unions are good for larger CLI's.  For me it was $2k I was stuck at.  Discover was that broke it, they went for $5k.  Chase followed shortly therafter.  I really don't much as far as suggestions, just use heavy and PIF.  Eventually they will bump up.

When do you pay your bill?  If you pay it after the statement cuts then you UT will looks high which may be the reason for them being apprehensive with the limits.

Message 8 of 19
remarc
Regular Contributor

I use to pay it at random times throughout the mounth but now i pay everything 3 days before my due date so the statement balance is always 0$ 

I then wait a few days after my statement balance shows on my Credit Card statment before i start using it again.. 

Im hoping that Citi will see my usage and that i PIF each month and bump it up, i was thinking of asking for $3000 instead of my current $1500 and then hoping the rest will follow. 

would you Boomhower say its worh calling to ask for a CL for a Balance transfer with Chase even though ive only just had the card for two months?

thanks

Message 9 of 19
cabronsaim
Contributor

Some people have suggested a charge card is best for increasing limits fast.

Why dont you try one?

3/30/12: EX: 680 TU:667 EQ: 655
4/14/12: EX: 680 TU:678 EQ: 670

BOFA: 0/1k / CAP1: 0/1.75k / CITI: 700/2k / AMEX Gold:NPSL
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.