Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Blacklists Real?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are Blacklists Real?

I've read from some places they are, some they aren't, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? I had a Chase Amazon Credit Card that I defaulted on 2 years ago, which I have since paid to Chase. One of my goals is to get my credit up enough to eventually get approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, but it never crossed my mind that I might have burned myself... feeling sad. I know AMEX won't even let you be an AU if you've defaulted, but I'm not sure if that means defaulted AND never paid them back, or just that you went into default in general. I don't see why you should forever be banned from a company because you made a mistake years ago.

So does BURNED mean you literally 'borrowed $25,000 and never paid them back' kind of craziness or can it mean you defaulted by $500 but paid them back after the card was cancelled? 

Message 1 of 26
25 REPLIES 25
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are Blacklists Real?

The majority of FIs generally have internal databases that cross-reference all applicants. Generally speaking, if the FI took a loss then it's likely they're not going to roll out a welcome mat anytime soon, especially if the debt was IIB.

Some lenders, like Barclays for instance, will not be as forgiving regardless if the debt was satisfied. Other lenders are are more forgiving such as Capital One, for example. Every FI has their own internal policies.

So, in your situation, there's a possibility that Chase may open the doors in the future since there's anecdotal evidence that confirms any satisfied debts reflect much better internally than if they were still outstanding. Depending on the outcome of the application, some individuals go through the reconsideration process while others may yield an approval so YEMV.
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they are real. Some seem to not ever forgive, while some seem to begrudgingly forgive after a certain amount of time. 

Message 3 of 26
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

The American Express Blacklist is legendary!  As a kid I had an AMEX charge off.  I'm sure it was less than $500.  I was blacklisted for over 20 years.  I applied twice a year, instantly denied, no credit check.  Then suddenly I was approved for the EveryDay card.  I immediately received an email, it stated that if I show a statement balance each month and paid the minimum due on time my limit would increase after 6 months.  The increase was automatic, YMMV.

Message 4 of 26
bizarrocreditworld
Valued Contributor

I was on the Chase and Amex blacklists and still on the Bank of America blacklist since I burned all three of them (in the case of Chase and Bank of America, cards they acquired) more than 10 years ago. While I have a lot of five digit limit Visas and Mastercards, Chase has seen fit to only approve me for a $500 Slate even though I am a long time customer of thiers and Amex will not approve me for a revolver, but has approved me in the last year for a Green card and a PRG.

Some banks have long memories.

No credit news is good credit news!
Message 5 of 26
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

The list is real.  Like @FinStar mentioned, some lenders are forgiving while others aren't.  I can tell you from experience that CapOne, Chase (via Providian/WaMu), and Citi are forgiving.  I burned them all in my BK13 and have cards with each of them.  Chase was probably one of the harder lenders to get back in the door with, but once I finally was able to do so, I've been able to secure several cards with them.  

On the other hand, Barclays who I also burned in my BK13 for less than $200 bucks, won't even throw a glance in my direction.  I had an iTunes Visa with them and til this day they won't even bother to pull a bureau on me...just auto deny citing prior relationship.  

I know there has been chatting on this here forum that some lenders will allow you back in once you pay off old debt but I don't think Barclays is one of them.  However, even though I burned them they don't have any issue with me being an AU on my wife's Uber Visa.  I thought for sure once my wife added me and included by SSN that it'd be a road block...but nonetheless they let me be AU without issue.  

Message 6 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hm well that gives me hope! I'm hoping since I paid it off it wont be a big issue.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 26
BlueMystic
New Contributor

Very real. W/r/t Amex, this thread might help.

Message 8 of 26
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I dunno about Amex but i found their blacklist more to the color of blueSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 26
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Yes, they're real. Currently, Chase blacklists for bankruptcy, included or not, for 10 years. If you paid them back they'll eventually let you back in, but like someone posted above, there's a very real chance that they'll give you a low limit and it will never grow. People have also reported in that instance, whenevwr they try to recon anything, the outstanding balance gets brought up.

Message 10 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.