Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are Blacklists Real?

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Are Blacklists Real?

@Loquat wrote:

The list is real.  Like @FinStar mentioned, some lenders are forgiving while others aren't.  I can tell you from experience that CapOne, Chase (via Providian/WaMu), and Citi are forgiving.  I burned them all in my BK13 and have cards with each of them.  Chase was probably one of the harder lenders to get back in the door with, but once I finally was able to do so, I've been able to secure several cards with them.  

On the other hand, Barclays who I also burned in my BK13 for less than $200 bucks, won't even throw a glance in my direction.  I had an iTunes Visa with them and til this day they won't even bother to pull a bureau on me...just auto deny citing prior relationship.  

I know there has been chatting on this here forum that some lenders will allow you back in once you pay off old debt but I don't think Barclays is one of them.  However, even though I burned them they don't have any issue with me being an AU on my wife's Uber Visa.  I thought for sure once my wife added me and included by SSN that it'd be a road block...but nonetheless they let me be AU without issue.  

citi forgiving?   I went through Bk13 with them in1991 and in 2014, I was still blacklisted with them.   I went online, filled out and completed the app,  while the app was being processed,  someone came online and asked me to verify my full name  and something else, it went straight to a denial.  The only reason I have anything with Citi is that the Costco CC went to them, being that said,  they have given me two cli and its my second highest CL of 17,600.

Message 11 of 26
dbatl14
Contributor

yes they totally are a real. I also think it depends how or what they flag you with.

I had a WAMU bank account like 15 years ago and I had charge off on my credit for about $300 which wasn't right. I went back and forth with the credit bureau's and Chase for quite sometime but eventually I won and it was taken off the CR. I opened a Chase bank account maybe 4 years ago and after a month or so my account was closed or more so in some type of "review" status. They ask me to verify my identity and I called them, the 800 told me to go to a branch and provide a bill and ID. I went into a Chase branch and submitted. They told me that everything should be okay in about 24 hours but it wasn't. I never received a why or what happened explanation.

Just got a letter a week later stating that Chase decided to close my account because of insufficient information or something. IT was very weird. Nothing in the letter had any real information. I went back ot the branch and the banker asked me if I ever had something bad with Chase because nothing was communicated. He just assumed because the closure came from security and they send me a check with my money.

Didn't even say, try again later. Simply stated account closure was permanent and see ya later. I figured that they were being super petty because I fought them on the bogus charge off.

My Wallet: Amex Everyday: $7000 | Amex PRG: NPSL | AMEX Business Reward: NPSL | Amex Hilton Aspire: $9300 | Amex Delta Gold: $15000 | Amex Business Plat: NPSL | BofA Cash Rewards: $22000 | Travel Rewards: $15000 | NASA FCU Advantage: $17,500 | DCU Platinum: $5000 | Barclaycard Rewards: $3500 | Capital One QS: $8500 | Capital One Platinum: $2250 | Capital One Spark: $7500 | Fidelity Bank: $3400 | Nordstrom: $16500 | Macys: $10000 | Walmart: $3300 | Amazon: $6000 | Target: $14500 | | Chevron/Texaco: $3000 | Discover IT: $4700 | Apple Card: $2450 | Citi Double Cash: $4000
Message 12 of 26
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

What do you mean when you say "bogus charge off"?  Was there a charge off?  Something must have been going on....

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 13 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@dbatl14 wrote:

yes they totally are a real. I also think it depends how or what they flag you with.

I had a WAMU bank account like 15 years ago and I had charge off on my credit for about $300 which wasn't right. I went back and forth with the credit bureau's and Chase for quite sometime but eventually I won and it was taken off the CR. I opened a Chase bank account maybe 4 years ago and after a month or so my account was closed or more so in some type of "review" status. They ask me to verify my identity and I called them, the 800 told me to go to a branch and provide a bill and ID. I went into a Chase branch and submitted. They told me that everything should be okay in about 24 hours but it wasn't. I never received a why or what happened explanation.

Just got a letter a week later stating that Chase decided to close my account because of insufficient information or something. IT was very weird. Nothing in the letter had any real information. I went back ot the branch and the banker asked me if I ever had something bad with Chase because nothing was communicated. He just assumed because the closure came from security and they send me a check with my money.

Didn't even say, try again later. Simply stated account closure was permanent and see ya later. I figured that they were being super petty because I fought them on the bogus charge off.

I would request your ChexSystems record to see if something new has appeared.

Message 14 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was blacklisted by Discover for years because of excessive usage of its card. It was used to practice on the new credit card machine. The Net at the end of the day was $0.00.  Chase had me blacklisted also for years for a small charge ($150 max, maybe less, and I did offer to pay it when I was turned down three years ago) off from one of its predecessor banks. Last year I finally got back in. BoA will not let me in for now over five years ago. This was about a bogus charge (not mine) that took BoA over three months to finally take the charge off of my account and reverse MOST of the FC's. It then closed my CC, reported me late, and began the end of my good credit and the beginning of my now great credit.

Message 15 of 26
Rogue46
Established Contributor

I burned amex on a business card in 2008 for $11k and they won't even look my way So yeah it's real.

Message 16 of 26
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Oh yes they are real. I included AMEX, Chase and Citi to name a few in our BK 2005. It took 13 years to get back in with Amex ( very low SL understandable), citi same thing but only the simplicity card all others denied b/c of previous history. Chase still on it however I am way over 5/24 so I have  not attempted with them again. Barclays have old charge off I think I am on the permanent BL.Also never had BOA or US bank but they deny me for previous history with an affiliate😯.

BL are very real

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 17 of 26
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I've read from some places they are, some they aren't, and I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with it? I had a Chase Amazon Credit Card that I defaulted on 2 years ago, which I have since paid to Chase. One of my goals is to get my credit up enough to eventually get approved for a Chase Sapphire Preferred Card, but it never crossed my mind that I might have burned myself... feeling sad. I know AMEX won't even let you be an AU if you've defaulted, but I'm not sure if that means defaulted AND never paid them back, or just that you went into default in general. I don't see why you should forever be banned from a company because you made a mistake years ago.

So does BURNED mean you literally 'borrowed $25,000 and never paid them back' kind of craziness or can it mean you defaulted by $500 but paid them back after the card was cancelled? 

Blacklist are real.
If you paid Chase back you would not be on their blacklist, but you still are subject to their credit approval guidelines.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just found out I am not blacklisted! I got a pre offer for the Chase FU.. Decided to take it because my ultimate goal is to get the Sapphire Preferred; gonna continue to be good and pay off my balance. They lost around 400$ from my past unpaid card (which I settled for less than what I owed). Maybe it wasn't enough of a loss for them to blacklist me, or they only consider those who include them on bankrupcy. Who knows. This settlement I did with them was only 3 years ago also. 

Message 19 of 26
Dervrak
Valued Member

I had a weird experience with AMEX, I declared C7 Bankruptcy in 1999 and discharged an AMEX card in the amount of ~$3,000. Well in 2017 I applied for an AMEX card, was approved, only used it a couple time and kept it payed off. Then last month I got a notice from my credit monitoring service that my AMEX account was "closed by grantor". I figured it had simply been closed for non-use as I hadn't put a charge on it for over a year. However, when I got the notice in the mail it said the account had been closed due to "prior charged off AMEX account". Lol! I guess somebody at AMEX must have done a search of 20 year old charge off records and flagged my account.

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.