Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are big first purchases frowned upon?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Are big first purchases frowned upon?

I just bought my first house and wanted to upgrade the furnace I applied for discover and was approved for 14.5k 0 apr 15 months. I am looking to put the furnace (4K) on it and pay off over the 0%apr period is this something g that discover will look down or do they not care.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Are big first purchases frowned upon?

Discover can care less just make more than min. payments

Message 2 of 15
xaximus
Valued Contributor

Discover likes to see lots of usage, they like to be the daily driver. Large or small purchases, it's the same. As long as you make payments on time and bring the balance down prior to your 15 month promotion, you should be fine. It's possible to even get CLI's depending on your usage.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 3 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I just bought my first house and wanted to upgrade the furnace I applied for discover and was approved for 14.5k 0 apr 15 months. I am looking to put the furnace (4K) on it and pay off over the 0%apr period is this something g that discover will look down or do they not care.

It will be ok. I suggest paying 285.71 a month so that the CC is paid off in 14 months (well before 0% expiration). 

Oh, and congratulations on home purchase and Disco approval and nice SL. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Disco doesn’t frown upon much as long as you pay. Go for it!

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys I’ve only had a capital one platinum for a few years and after I closed I went I applied and approved for discover it (14.5k)citi double cash(4.7k) and American Express everyday(1k).Im trying to thicken my file and use my credit wisely.
Message 6 of 15
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks guys I’ve only had a capital one platinum for a few years and after I closed I went I applied and approved for discover it (14.5k)citi double cash(4.7k) and American Express everyday(1k).Im trying to thicken my file and use my credit wisely.

Don’t forget in 61 days to ask for a 3X CLI on your AmX ED. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 15
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Out of curiosity OP, what was your CL before you closed the Cap1? And in what order did you apply for those next three cards? I’m curious about something.

Message 8 of 15
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With a huge sl like that , by putting a huge purchase on it and carrying it a couple months you can be sure youll be among the Discover Elite getting those 3-5k cli increases. Youll be in 20k territory by years end imhoSmiley Happy
Message 9 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I never closed my cap one platnium I meant closed on my mortgage. My limit is 1100 on it. I applied for citi first then discover then Amex I was denied when I applied for chase last and I stopped at that.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.