Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are chipped cards worth asking for?

tag
bobebob
Frequent Contributor

Are chipped cards worth asking for?

I would like to get new versions of my cards that have the additional security the embedded chips give.

But since I don't travel out of country, I was wondering if it was worth the effort.

I am under the impression that the US is very slow to adopt the technology.

Is this likely to be of any benefit in the near future?

bobebob || Nov: My FICO SW EQ(Upgraded Version) = 822 ||Sept: Walmart TU Fico=838Goal = FICO's>800 || In my wallet: CostcoAmEx(20k), DCU Visa Platinum (10k), BoA Visa Signature (17.1k), Walmart Discover (7.5k), AmEx Corporate (5k). All PIF every month.
Message 1 of 32
31 REPLIES 31
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: Are chipped cards worth asking for?

If you don't travel outside US, I don't think you're going to need this anytime soon.  Do you have cards that even offer this feature?

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 32
bribro
Valued Contributor

I have never used chip technology in the U.S. I think my local Target has the chip card readers, but I've never actually used them.

I think the EMV chips look cool so if you can get one for free you might as well IMO.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 3 of 32
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Does chase offer them for the freedom?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 32
firesoul453
Contributor

Citi game me a keychan thing (instructions said attach to back of phone lol, thats not going to happen), Just stuck it to another card on my keychain (kroger plus thing)

Never really use it.

Also my phone has that google walllet thing, which lets me do it to any card, so I'm covered. 

My ultimate credit wish,
a JP Morgan Palladium card
Message 5 of 32
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

@firesoul453 wrote:

Citi game me a keychan thing (instructions said attach to back of phone lol, thats not going to happen), Just stuck it to another card on my keychain (kroger plus thing)

Never really use it.

Also my phone has that google walllet thing, which lets me do it to any card, so I'm covered. 

Op is talking about emv chips, not NFC or RFID. Completely different. For op, last I read the consortium was hoping to have machines capable of reading emv chips in most retailers by late 2014. It will take years beyond then before any retailer is brave enough to stop accepting magnetic strips. If you don't travel outside us, it will be years before you use the feature and maybe a generation before you have to.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 6 of 32
firesoul453
Contributor

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@firesoul453 wrote:

Never really use it.

Op is talking about emv chips, not NFC or RFID. Completely different. For op, last I read the consortium was hoping to have machines capable of reading emv chips in most retailers by late 2014. It will take years beyond then before any retailer is brave enough to stop accepting magnetic strips. If you don't travel outside us, it will be years before you use the feature and maybe a generation before you have to.

Oh never knew there were two different things.

Whats the main difference? Are they designed to achieve the same results? 

My ultimate credit wish,
Message 7 of 32
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@firesoul453 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@firesoul453 wrote:

Never really use it.

They are not designed to acheive the same results.  One, NFC or RFID, is simply for cotnactless payment.  The other, EMV, is more of a security feature.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 32
CS800
Super Contributor

Whichever non-contact sytem would be good. WOuld prevent cards from having these nasty horizontal scraping lines.

Message 9 of 32
firesoul453
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

@firesoul453 wrote:

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:

@firesoul453 wrote:

Never really use it.

They are not designed to acheive the same results.  One, NFC or RFID, is simply for cotnactless payment.  The other, EMV, is more of a security feature.

Sorry for kinda being off topic, but how exactly does EMV increase security?

But I don't think I ever seen a card with an EMV chip here in the usa.

My ultimate credit wish,
Message 10 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.