cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are gains from cashback cards taxable?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: Are gains from cashback cards taxable?

@gpfirestone wrote:

As for Open's question about rewards points...those are not factored into tax equation unless they have a predetermined value.  I can recommend a tax law expert who blogs about thse things that you could ask your specific questions to.  CPAs are not the best people to ask what is legal and what is not since they don't litigate with the IRS and often times don't know the outcome of their assumptions.

The points I've used definitely don't have any kind of "pre-determined" value.  Can you please PM me the link to the blog?

Thanks!

PS - Couldn't agree with more on the CPA observation.  Except for my first one (who has retired), all the new CPAs I've had only want me to pay more taxes.  "When in doubt" pay more isn't the advice I'm looking from a CPA.

Message 11 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

Cashback is a type of rebate and is therefore not taxable. It is money deducted from the credit card processing fees that you have already paid, the full amount of which was already taxed on you. 

Message 12 of 24
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

Cashback is a type of rebate and is therefore not taxable. It is money deducted from the credit card processing fees that you have already paid, the full amount of which was already taxed on you. 

This is true for non deductable purchases. Where there is a tax deductable use the cashback reduces the deduction. If thd deduction is not reduced the cashback is taxable income. For instance, if you donate $10,000 to a charity and get $100 cashback you can only deduct $9,900.  OTOH if you buy a bedroom set for $10,000 and get $100 cashback it is not taxable.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 13 of 24
HiLine
Blogger

@cashnocredit wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

This is true for non deductable purchases. Where there is a tax deductable use the cashback reduces the deduction. If thd deduction is not reduced the cashback is taxable income. For instance, if you donate $10,000 to a charity and get $100 cashback you can only deduct $9,900.  OTOH if you buy a bedroom set for $10,000 and get $100 cashback it is not taxable.

In tax deductible transactions, the payment processing fees portion is also tax deductible, and this is why your full charity donation is tax deductible. The cashback, a part of the tax-deductible payment processing fees, is also tax deductible. 

Message 14 of 24
jake619
Frequent Contributor

Thanks, Everybody.  I suppose if it were taxable we would be issued a 1099, and there's very little if any chatter about this on this board.

Interesting discussion, nonetheless.

Message 15 of 24
Gammachu

How will they even know you used a cash back credit card when you are reporting your business deductions? The receipt you show them would only show the card type and the last 4 digits of the card number.
Message 16 of 24
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@HiLine wrote:

@cashnocredit wrote:

@HiLine wrote:

In tax deductible transactions, the payment processing fees portion is also tax deductible, and this is why your full charity donation is tax deductible. The cashback, a part of the tax-deductible payment processing fees, is also tax deductible. 

Here's a good review with background by accounting pros. The currently popular cashback, as opposed to freq. flyer miles, is the current, unaddressed, fly in the ointment. The implied advice: if you don't get a 1099-MISC it's unlikely to be an issue. It's a loophole that lots of people use and so it's likely congress won't close and and the IRS won't bother with it.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/ato_issues/26_4/frequent-flier-miles-points-tax-rewards-IRS-taxable-c...

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 17 of 24
armbenderc
Valued Contributor

@jake619 wrote:

So, first tax year with a few cash reward cards.  Going to see the tax lady today and I was collecting various forms and got to thinking, is the money paid back to me as a "reward" taxable or is it treated as a rebate?  I'm assuming the latter but could see a case for the former.

YES. Chase sent me one of their tax form. It also stated that IRS got a copy also. Smiley Surprised

2013 Approvals: Discover IT - 3/1, Amex BCE - 3/4, CSP - 5/4, Barclay Ring - 6/12, BoA Privileges Cash - 6/27, Citi TY Preferred - 8/6, OCCU Duck - 11/4, USBank (Cash+) - 11/22, Wells Fargo - 12/21, Nordstrom - 12/29

12/19/2013, $100k+ Available Credit. Total Util: 0-1%
Message 18 of 24
Open123
Super Contributor

@cashnocredit wrote:

Here's a good review with background by accounting pros. The currently popular cashback, as opposed to freq. flyer miles, is the current, unaddressed, fly in the ointment. The implied advice: if you don't get a 1099-MISC it's unlikely to be an issue. It's a loophole that lots of people use and so it's likely congress won't close and and the IRS won't bother with it.

http://www.accountingtoday.com/ato_issues/26_4/frequent-flier-miles-points-tax-rewards-IRS-taxable-c...

Thanks for posting the link!  Found this very helpful.

Message 19 of 24
jake619
Frequent Contributor

@armbenderc wrote:

YES. Chase sent me one of their tax form. It also stated that IRS got a copy also. Smiley Surprised

Was it for a cash-back card or did you take the sign-up-for-checking-account promo?  I got an offer to open a Chase checking account and after X days they would deposit Y number of dollars in "for free".  I didn't do it though.  The fine print mentioned the bonus being taxable.

Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.