cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are hotel cards that provide free nights worth keeping long term?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Community Leader
Senior Contributor

Re: Are hotel cards that provide free nights worth keeping long term?

@jdbkiang wrote:
The way I see it, if you can get your money’s worth, it’s worth it, regardless of brand. If I can pay $95 for a stay that would’ve cost me $200, then why not? It just depends on if I would’ve spent at least $95 in the first place. If not, then it’s forced spending, which is likely a net negative.

@jdbkiang +1. Well said and I agree wholeheartedly.  

Message 11 of 13
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone for you insight! I think ultimately I will keep both cards. There arent really any nice hotels that you can get for 75$ or 95$ so it is a steal.

The only difference is that you are just prepaying the 75$ or 95$ Instead or paying it directly to the hotel. I definitely could get use out of the free nights. I just wanted to see if it actually made logical sense considering I primarily stay at Hilton. I will just continue keeping both cards in the SD while only using them for the free night perk going forward.

Amex Gold NPSL, Amex Hilton Aspire 3k, Amex Marriott Bonvoy 1k, AMEX Everyday 3.5k, AMEX BBP 3.5k, AMEX Hilton Surpass 2k, BOA Cash Rewards 8.2k, BOA Better Balance Rewards 2k, Care Credit 15k, Chase Amazon Visa 19.825k, Discover 6.8k, Discover 12.5k, Nordstrom Store 4.5k , Fidelity Visa 10k, Cap 1 QS 15k, Cap 1 Savor 10.5k, Citi Rewards+ 4.4k, Citi DC 7.5k, Citi Advantage Platinum 5.5k,, US Cash+ 3.5k, Altitude Reserve 9k, Paypal Mastercard 4k, Apple Card 6.5k
Message 12 of 13
Regular Contributor

I think credit cards that offer a free night cert. are worth keeping if you travel enough to get value out of them. The best one in my opionion is the old $49AF IHG card paired with the new $89AF version. Two free nights at properties up to 40k points/night is worth more than the combined AF. Add in the fourth night free on redemptions and you just saved a lot of money on a seven night stay.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.