cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are prime cards attainable with derogs on your report?

tag
scarrollprint
Frequent Contributor

Are prime cards attainable with derogs on your report?

I'm not getting ready to app, I'll be in the garden for at least another full year (unless I feel like getting a walmart store card to start my path to discover).

I know in a year, I probably won't be in primeland. I'm right about 620s according to Myfico score watch but I have some old paid C/Os that every GW comes back as denied and 1 90 day late from about a year ago so I have 6 more years till that drops off.

Will I really have to wait 6 more years till all the bad stuff drops to get into prime land? I feel like my scores have come a long way just from getting rid of what I can and by puting time between myself and everything else, I'd hate to hear taht I'm stuck with Cap1s 750 HL for the next 6 years.

Any one get a prime card while still having some derog on their reports?

Current: Eq- 624 Ex - 631 (lender pulled) TU - 661 (lender pulled)
Goal 700+ across all three
Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
SwiftTone
Valued Contributor

Re: Are prime cards attainable with derogs on your report?

@scarrollprint wrote:

I'm not getting ready to app, I'll be in the garden for at least another full year (unless I feel like getting a walmart store card to start my path to discover).

I know in a year, I probably won't be in primeland. I'm right about 620s according to Myfico score watch but I have some old paid C/Os that every GW comes back as denied and 1 90 day late from about a year ago so I have 6 more years till that drops off.

Will I really have to wait 6 more years till all the bad stuff drops to get into prime land? I feel like my scores have come a long way just from getting rid of what I can and by puting time between myself and everything else, I'd hate to hear taht I'm stuck with Cap1s 750 HL for the next 6 years.

Not necessarily. I have I think 8 30 and 60 day lates on an autoloan in 2009, and some minor late CC payments from 2008 and 2009, and I just got approved for a Sapphire Preferred and Blue Cash everyday with a low-average income. But I've been clean since then.

AMEX: $25,000, CSR: $10,000, Chase Priority Club: $1,500, Freedom: $5000, Freedom Unlimited: $1000, Discover: $21,000, BoA $11,000, WF Cash Wise: $5000

EQ FICO - 753
TU FICO - 755
EX FICO(AMEX) - 766
Message 2 of 22
ceejx
Established Contributor

@SwiftTone wrote:

@scarrollprint wrote:

Not necessarily. I have I think 8 30 and 60 day lates on an autoloan in 2009, and some minor late CC payments from 2008 and 2009, and I just got approved for a Sapphire Preferred and Blue Cash everyday with a low-average income. But I've been clean since then.

I had a 6yo charge off, and a 30/60 from 2006 on mine and I got all the cards listed in my sig except the cap1

Message 3 of 22
beb86
Valued Contributor

for the most part time heals all

Message 4 of 22
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

@scarrollprint wrote:

I have all of my prime cards, and my derogs are still on my report.  I have some collections 3 yrs old. a 90 day late that is 6.5 yrs old, and a judgement that is 6 yrs old.

I think after everything ages to the 3 yr mark, you can start looking at prime products.

FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 5 of 22
somotao
Frequent Contributor

I think you have the right idea....if you keep up the good work and show postive history since your most recent derog...you'll find that most creditors will focus on what you've done with your credit. The good think is that you've actually paid your collections which is a good thing should your credit have to be manually reviewed by any creditor. You should be fine to apply for some of the prime lenders when you're done with gardening.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 6 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

I wonder the same thing. The derogs on my report at 6.5 years old...but I'm at the point of just waiting until they fall off next year.

Plan on reapplying for Discover then...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 7 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just got denied for Freedom and discover more and they both listed reason as major deliquencies on report, which would be 2 charge-offs from 2007 that I took care of back then. I've had rebuilder cards for 3 years,  and just got a Barclay rewards card (not considered prime i don't think) I know I should be closer go 700, but I'm starting to think I won't get a prime card till those COs fall off.

Message 8 of 22
injustifiiable
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got denied for Freedom and discover more and they both listed reason as major deliquencies on report, which would be 2 charge-offs from 2007 that I took care of back then. I've had rebuilder cards for 3 years,  and just got a Barclay rewards card (not considered prime i don't think) I know I should be closer go 700, but I'm starting to think I won't get a prime card till those COs fall off.

Same deal here when I got denied for Discover...kinda sucks! I really wanted that card...

Scores 5/15/2016 (clean reports!): TU Walmart FICO: 696 | EQ FICO: 679 | EX AMEX FICO: 680

In my new wallet: American Express Green EMV: PSL $2000 | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Visa EMV: $2500 | Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard: $6400 | Barclaycard Arrival World MasterCard: $1000 | Discover IT: $2500 | Amazon Rewards Visa Signature: $1500 | Chase Freedom: $1500 | Capital One QuicksilverOne MasterCard: $2100 | Target: $2800 | J.Crew $21,550 | Marvel (Captain America) MasterCard: $6000
Message 9 of 22
somnipotent
Frequent Contributor

I think you should garden a bit more and get your scores in the upper 600s before attempting the CF or DM cards, esp with derogs.  I have a 3-4 30 days and a 60 day from 06/07 and a paid collection from 06, but I've been clean ever since and got approved for a CSP.  YMMV.

AmEx PRG (NPSL) | AmEx Costco ($8.2K) | AmEx Delta Gold ($19.3K) | AmEx BCE ($5K) | Chase United Explorer ($10K) | Chase Sapphire Preferred ($7.5K) | Chase Freedom ($8.2K) | Discover it ($3K) | Capital One Quicksilver ($2.5K) | PayPal Extras ($2.5K) | Lowes ($3.3K) | Walmart ($4.3K) | Amazon ($2.5K) | Restoration Hardware ($8.8K) | Crate & Barrel ($8.3K)
--
Homeowner since 05/29/13
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.