Did you mean: 

Are you complete?

tag
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Re: Are you complete?

@E150GT wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

+1. I don't see what the fuss is about Discover either. Some people really like them, but I don't see any real benefit.

Limited acceptance + better rewards elsewhere = uncompetitive product.

have never not had my discover accepted. I have had my amex though

Do you travel internationally a lot?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 31 of 38
bluesnowman
Frequent Contributor

I personally would like to add a travel card to the mix. Yes, I realize I have a PRG but I don't think I've used it to enough to make sense of the annual fee. The main reason I got it was to develop a history with Amex, but I plan to close it in October. 

Bank of America: Cash Rewards.- 4.2k. 4/25/12 (CLI Increase 6/15/13, CLI May of 2015, sept 2015), Citi: Forward- 4.5k. 10/27/12 (CLI on 2/8/14, SP, CLI on 9/26/15 sp). Discover: More- 7k, 10/27/12 (Increase 6/1/14, CLI in May of 2015, SP 9/2015) Amex: PRG- NPSL (closed 12/13/13). 11/24/12. Chase: Freedom. 5/1/13- 5k (EX CLI HP 9/2015) Southwest Rapid Rewards Plus.-3.6k. 6/15/13. Amex BCE-2k. 12/7/13. Amex SPG-5k 12/8/13 (CLI on 9/2015) Capital one VentureOne Visa Signature-10k (9/6/15). Citi AAdvantage Platinum Select World MasterCard-4K. Last App: 9/6/15. Total cl: 45,300
Message 32 of 38
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

Have you gotten to the point where you simply don't want any more cards or have reached your desired card?

I recently got the FNBO Amex and the Delta Gold Amex.  I have spent the last few days looking at cards and trying to decide if there is any other card I want.  

I can't even think of one.  I know I can't get Signature cards yet and don't see the benefit to most of them anyway.  I figure the only card I could remotely want is one from my bank for overdraft protection, just in case, but don't even really see the point in it either.

I need the BCP and the CSP...after that I need no other cards. I will then be complete!

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 33 of 38
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

After getting the Fidelity BofA Amex this week and Walmart Discover last night, yes.

I've been going a little crazy collecting cash back reward cards, mostly.

Now I can see what all this apping did to my Fico with Walmarts monthly scores.

I've killed my AAoA after pretty much keeping 3 bank cards for 8-10 years, I went and got 10 over the last 30 months

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 34 of 38
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would say "almost"... the only card I am now gardening for is CSP in 2014.  But with the recent addition of Barclays Arrival it makes it easy to garden for CSP next year Smiley Happy I am in no rush anymore.

Message 35 of 38
TiggerDat
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

Have you gotten to the point where you simply don't want any more cards or have reached your desired card?

I recently got the FNBO Amex and the Delta Gold Amex.  I have spent the last few days looking at cards and trying to decide if there is any other card I want.  

I can't even think of one.  I know I can't get Signature cards yet and don't see the benefit to most of them anyway.  I figure the only card I could remotely want is one from my bank for overdraft protection, just in case, but don't even really see the point in it either.

I stand corrected.  I thought I was complete and then I realized I should have overdraft protection for my checking account.  So I decided to apply for an account.  To my surprise I got a card.  In fact I got a Signature card, right after saying I wouldn't be able to get one.  I only applied for the regular card and was automatically upgraded to the Signature card.  I was like WOW!  I still don't know if it really has any benefits to me, but hey thanks PNC!  Becuase of that approval I realized that I had to get rid of some cards so I got rid of my Marathon Gas Card, Bealls of Florida, and Belks card.  (I actually called and got an increase on my Marathon gas card first then called back and asked them to transfer the limit to my Marathon Visa.  They said no, so I said go.)

Now I am more than complete.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.....
Always follow these rules: Only take a HP for a new account. Always use the best rewards card for that reward category. Don't close a card unless you know you really should. Never use more than 35% of a credit limit. Recon as much and as best you can. Use the introductory period to the best advantage. Get the signup bonus. Whenever possible PIF or balance transfer so you pay less in interest. Never give an excellent rating when it is actually the norm. Always look for a discount as more is always better.
Always accept candy from strangers because they have the best candy or from people you know have good candy.
Message 36 of 38
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I plan on changing my Zync to a Green card, the card I admired my uncle for having when I was a kid.  Silly, I know, but still.  Hopefully after my 13th month with the card in October, AMEX will let me PC to a Green card, hopefully without an HP.

I want a Citi card of some sort.

I really don't see any other cards I want since I got the cards I wanted last year (finally) in one shot and nearly floored me.  I may do a few store cards in the future, like where I shop for clothing (Macy's, J. Crew, Banana Republic) but we'll see how the gardening goes.

I also may get a Wal-Mart card just for the free FICO scores.  But I've got 17 inquiries on my report in which most will be 1 year old in October, but I may stick it out until October 2014 for them all to fall off - it just depends on how my score is looking in a few months (since inquiries don't count against you after a year).

I still haven't recovered from my mortgage reporting back in January (I closed last August!) and my score dropped 40 points (I'm down to 640 Smiley Sad ) since I went on an app spree and mortgage shopping and tanked my AAoA from 5 years 9 months to 3 years 5 months.  The good thing is I haven't been late on any payments for 2 years now.  I really need to resume asking my old creditiors for forgiveness or whatever its called.  That would really change my on time payment percentage and help my score.

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 37 of 38
WunderCard
Established Member

@CreditScholar wrote:

@bluedog1 wrote:

I'm happy with the 4 cards in my rotation and plan to hold onto these accounts long term. The only major issuer I don't have is Discover but I don't see the benefit of adding one at this point.

+1. I don't see what the fuss is about Discover either. Some people really like them, but I don't see any real benefit.

Limited acceptance + better rewards elsewhere = uncompetitive product.

You're missing out.  ShopDiscover.com blows most other shopping portals out of the water, IMO.  ShopAmex included.

I hate to clothes shop in particular.  And SD has a waaay better selection of brick & mortar retailers than SA.  I like being able to get 5-20% off my purchase on top of my basic 1% and having the option of returning things to the local store if need be.

Some major retailers NOT found on ShopAmex:

Eastbay

Express

Footlocker

Guess

JCPenny

Khols

Lord & Taylor

Macy's

Neiman Marcus

Nike

Sears

I don't have Chase or Citi cards, do they have anything that can top that?   Not to mention Discover offers Price Protection on your purchases.  That's pretty rare these days.  And Discover's Return Gaurantee is better  than that offered by a lot of other cards (90days, up to $500, $2500max/yr).  I believe Amex is only $300 per incident up to $1000k/yr.

Message 38 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.